The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (4) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Saved the crew? Major league flop and bought the call, IMO.

I'm amazed that people can see something so differently.
Having worked at the collegiate level before Rich...I have seen the something different
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:15pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
The timing speaks to the lengths the L was willing to go to NOT call a foul there.
Can you explain to me why L should have called this earlier? It was a drive initiated in C's area and on C's side of the lane. I thought L kept waiting for C to call something, but finally took it himself.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michblue View Post
Having worked at the collegiate level before Rich...I have seen the something different
I have worked college ball too and that was about as big of a flop as I have ever seen. The defender threw themselves out of the way and was not at all displaced. If anything the defender falling down made the Baylor player trip over them, but there was no torso contact. And two officials that had a better angle passed on the play.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
Can you explain to me why L should have called this earlier? It was a drive initiated in C's area and on C's side of the lane. I thought L kept waiting for C to call something, but finally took it himself.
The play was in transition. Unless Women's Mechanics have a different standard, that play is the Lead's as much as anyone else in the game. And the Lead had the best look as he can see both players coming at the shooter.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have worked college ball too and that was about as big of a flop as I have ever seen. The defender threw themselves out of the way and was not at all displaced. If anything the defender falling down made the Baylor player trip over them, but there was no torso contact. And two officials that had a better angle passed on the play.

Peace
However Rich, both players went to the floor and thus a call needed to be made and I agree with the call. It was a charge.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The play was in transition. Unless Women's Mechanics have a different standard, that play is the Lead's as much as anyone else in the game. And the Lead had the best look as he can see both players coming at the shooter.

Peace
In the women's game...this is normally the C's call...but was probably straight lined because of it being in transition.
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
However Rich, both players went to the floor and thus a call needed to be made and I agree with the call. It was a charge.
Are you thinking of a different play, or am I misremembering it? I don't recall the Baylor player going to the floor. She got twisted in the defender's legs while the defender was lying on the floor, but that was about it.
Never mind. Just saw the replay, they were both on the floor. Still think it was a flop, and a trip on the defender while lying on the floor.

Last edited by Adam; Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 10:35pm. Reason: I misremembered
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Based on what action by A1 do you have PC on that play.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

How about just knowing how/why both players went to the floor? The defender flopped and the contact didn't affect the offensive player's movement (she passed the ball to an open teammate without incident).
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-40 View Post
How about just knowing how/why both players went to the floor? The defender flopped and the contact didn't affect the offensive player's movement (she passed the ball to an open teammate without incident).
On some plays, I agree with your point 4-40, but not on a block/charge play.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Just saw the game package on ESPN - thought it was a flop. Rare to hear comments like Mulkey's during the press conference. She pretty much put the loss on the officials.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
Just saw the game package on ESPN - thought it was a flop. Rare to hear comments like Mulkey's during the press conference. She pretty much put the loss on the officials.
Which was complete rubbish, even though I think the charge call was wrong. They had the ball right after that, got the lead, and then had to commit a transition foul because their defense was a sieve.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On some plays, I agree with your point 4-40, but not on a block/charge play.
I don't think this is a true block/charge. As stated earlier in this thread, the only contact is initiated by defender's lower body when she flops. I thought this when I originally saw the play on espn. The offensive player is turning to pass before the contact, so I don't believe this play warrants a whistle either way, especially at this level.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Which was complete rubbish, even though I think the charge call was wrong. They had the ball right after that, got the lead, and then had to commit a transition foul because their defense was a sieve.
I don't think she puts the loss on the officials. She initially tried to say Griner didn't commit a foul on the last shot but then a reporter tells her it was a foul. I think mostly her griping was aimed at the terrible PC call, the poor job the officials did in putting a whistle on physical plays early in the game, and the obvious taunting T that should have been called on Louisville after an "And-1". From the clips I saw I would say this game will not make any of these officials retirement videos.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
This is why I said it's the exception to the rule. Normally if two players go to the floor, I'd have a call. Except the player with the ball didn't go through the defender -- she flopped big time. Not going to put the foul on the flopper, so I'd no call that.

If someone says that's an IC after that, so be it. I'm not going to reward someone who flops like that.