The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal Screen/Technical video--your thoughts?

My first try at this...hope it works. I would like your thoughts on both the illegal screen call and the subsequent technical foul on the Blue HC. Not that it matters either way, but I just want to clarify I was not part of the crew. Thanks!

Last edited by cmb; Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 10:12pm.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 10:19pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb View Post
My first try at this...hope it works.
You have the video listed as "Private". You need to go into the publishing settings for the video, and change it to either "Public" or "Unlisted". Public means the video can be searched for and found, unlisted requires you to share the link so that others can access it.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Ha, would have been too good to be true to get it right on the first try. I switched it to unlisted, so let's try it again.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 10:37pm
We don't rent pigs

Both look like pretty easy calls to me.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 10:44pm
Esteemed Participant

The illegal screen call looks fine to me. Not sure I would have called that one, but doesn't bother me that it was called. The T was an easy call, coach doesn't get to act like that.

My only issue with this situation is that both calls should have come from the C. The screen was set by a player who came from C's primary...he should have had that call. And the T was definitely the C's call. He was right there and heard and sould have seen everything the coach was saying and doing. No reason why the L had to come from clear across the court to get that one.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 10:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Easy Peasey Lemon Squeezy ...

1) Team control foul (illegal screen, blocking).
2) Direct technical foul (temper tantrum).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

The C could have called the technical, but the coach was stomping and throwing his arms while the C had his back to him. The lead probably had a better view of it.

The trail also had a view of the coach but I like another official coming in and helping out his partner so that the trail does not have to call both the common foul and the technical foul. Good teamwork in my opinion.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 12:01pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbrian View Post
The C could have called the technical, but the coach was stomping and throwing his arms while the C had his back to him. The lead probably had a better view of it.
Seriously?

You honestly think the C did not hear any of that? All he has to do is turn and look when he hears the coach stomping and screaming - and then take care of business. Making the L have to run halfway across the court to get this T is NOT good teamwork, imo.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 12:09pm
#thereferee99

C shoulda

Also, crew loses eyes on players when they convene to discuss.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 12:11pm
#thereferee99

Also...

... the other videos posted by that youtube user feature some serious illegal dribbling.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

If this is the game I think it is, it was a Class 2A qf last Wedensday in the Minnesota state tournament and the team in Blue was trailing by 4 points at 50-46 with 1:23 left to go in the game when this call was made. Had the call on the illigeal screen gone the other way it would have not resulted in free throws thougha the team in Blue was not in the bonus yet. Taht woud ahve only been the 6th team foul. My guess is the reaction was due to the time and score. Still though coches need to keep composure in a close game like that
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 01:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

I would like to see other screens in that game to see if that was called consistently. I think it was kind of "weak" but I can see why it was called. It is just a tough play to call every time correctly.

I was not a fan of the "wave" being a T, but that seems to be what others expect. So if that is the standard without hearing words I guess that is OK.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would like to see other screens in that game to see if that was called consistently. I think it was kind of "weak" but I can see why it was called. It is just a tough play to call every time correctly.

I was not a fan of the "wave" being a T, but that seems to be what others expect. So if that is the standard without hearing words I guess that is OK.

Peace
It would have to be video that was shot at the game by spectators as QF games in MN are not televised anywhere OTA, cable or online
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
I'd also like to see how screens were called in the game and agree that this call looks somewhat weak and marginal to me.

As for the T, that seems to be much more than a simple "wave." The stomping on the court, the gestures toward the officials.....way too demonstrative and easily T worthy IMO.

And I agree with what was stated above that the C should have handled this. At the very least he should have addressed the coach. He seems to only be concerned with tossing the ball to the L who misses the ball as he TCB.

Does not make the crew look good.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 01:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
I'd also like to see how screens were called in the game and agree that this call looks somewhat weak and marginal to me.

As for the T, that seems to be much more than a simple "wave." The stomping on the court, the gestures toward the officials.....way too demonstrative and easily T worthy IMO.

And I agree with what was stated above that the C should have handled this. At the very least he should have addressed the coach. He seems to only be concerned with tossing the ball to the L who misses the ball as he TCB.

Does not make the crew look good.
I guess I have been told recently that the "wave" is so over the top that it must get a T no matter when they give one. I never used that standard but have given Ts for other things. I have been criticized for giving Ts for actual language and other behavior and suggestion of integrity, but somehow the "wave" must be penalized at all times. And yes if the coach did more I have no problem with the T anyway. The officials were there and they know what was said and done in this situation and done previously. I have a hard time trying to judge someone for what they give a T for without hearing their side of the story. This might have been the 5th time the coach did something and then was warned. I just am not a fan if the "wave" was the first time a coach reacted, but some feel that is over the top.

Peace