The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Thoughts on this video???

I'm not sure I like the umpire's way of getting these players apart, what are your guys (more experienced) thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1d-C...elated&search=
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
I'm not sure I like the umpire's way of getting these players apart, what are your guys (more experienced) thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1d-C...elated&search=
The PU saved himself a lot of paperwork by keeping the players apart. I think that you are concerned with the grabbing of the F2's chest protector. It didn't seem out of line to me.

Personally, I don't get between the players. If they want to "have it out", I just stand back and start writing down the numbers.

Regards
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 04:22pm
BigGuy

I thought the ump did a remarkable job of stepping in before the two players had gotten too close.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
We have it all planned ahead of time. In case of a fight, we meet on the mound and start taking down numbers. If the boys want to have at it, more power to them!!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I'm sort of concerned not with the initial pull away but with the 2nd and to a lesser extent 3rd push, when it seems as though the players were already apart.

As I watched again, I realized the pushes weren't what I originally interpretted them to be on first viewing.

Still, should you ever put your hands on a player or coach in this manner?
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

I think in my state (Missouri), we have to document this, even if nothing really happen.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
These are college-aged players in a summer league game. I don't see any problem. The umpire's strong actions most likely prevented a much larger incident.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

You never make physical contact with players...ever. Seperating players is the coach's job, not mine. I do not want to become part of the brawl. In this case, what if the player took exception to the umpire grabbing him and pushing him around and fought back?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
I think the umpire did the morally correct thing, and what I would want to see him do if it were my kid (catcher).

Here in California, birthplace of the frivolous lawsuit, I have seen coaches have legal action taken against them for just grabbing a player's jersey while talking to them.

So out here, it's hands off, and take down numbers. This is also our Associations official instructions and policy.

Nick
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 02:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
You never make physical contact with players...ever. Seperating players is the coach's job, not mine. I do not want to become part of the brawl. In this case, what if the player took exception to the umpire grabbing him and pushing him around and fought back?
I disagree with you on this. It would depend on the level of ball as well. At the college level this is much more acceptable than at the HS level. I think the umpire handled this particular situation almost perfectly. Now if the players starting throwing blows, then I would agree, get out of the way and let them have at it.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

I would not encourage his actions in a youth (even high school) game.

However, he handled it beautifully for a professional/college summer league game. I myself have grabbed a professional player before...and successfully prevented a brawl.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
I would not encourage his actions in a youth (even high school) game.

However, he handled it beautifully for a professional/college summer league game. I myself have grabbed a professional player before...and successfully prevented a brawl.

I'm from the old school. I have been taught not to touch players, especially in this situation.

I worked a college game in northern California years back in which a would-be participant, while being held back by my partner, got sucker punched by an opponent.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Rut, Lawump

I respect your position. The 'hands off' policy must be a California thing!! I have been in situations where I had to position myself between players to prevent an altercation from occuring. After a HBP, if the batter seems a bit incensed, I will try to stay between the F1 and BR.

However, if the BR or F1 want to go around me and have at it, I will not reach out and grab them. I have a day job that pays the bills, and I can't earn my keep if i'm in the hospital or in court trying to defend my actions.

-----------------------
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not there to prevent fights. I'm there to accurately witness/record who participated. Were this my profession, maybe that's different, but IMO any amateur/hobby umpire who risks life and limb to stop a scuffle/brawl with completely unpredictable consequences is nuts. Personal injury and potential liability are only two of the possible outcomes.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 02:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
Here in California, birthplace of the frivolous lawsuit, I have seen coaches have legal action taken against them for just grabbing a player's jersey while talking to them.
I pine for the days where the coach would just kick your a$$, the VP could give you "licks" with a thick board with holes drilled in it, and teachers weren't deathly afraid of the students. Days when children didn't settle their arguments with a gun or a knife, but just said "meet me after school" and duked it out like a man. Where things like what happened in Blacksburg didn't happen. This world is much worse for its political correctness.

I need a "Time Out."
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25