The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 10:47am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
One item in particular I was interested to see in the video was the unofficial spread-arms signal used by the official. I don't think the official meant it as the standard "not closely guarded" signal. That, to me anyway, clearly conveyed the message, "I saw what just happened but I've got nothing." Seems to be like what soccer has with their "play on" signal.
I like that and wouldn't mind seeing it or something similar become a standard signal.
The only time we're allowed to use that signal is for 60-second time outs.

The philosophy here is, if there's no need for a count, there's no need for a spead-arms signal. Just don't signal. See also violation. If there's no violation, there's no need to signal anything.

As for "play on" in soccer, that signal actually acknowledges there was a foul, but to whistle it would kill any advantage the offense already has. "Play on" doesn't mean "there was no foul."
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agree on the no-call. Had one not quite as goofy in a post-season tourney game last week that brought half the stands out of their seats to protest, but got the no-call right.
One item in particular I was interested to see in the video was the unofficial spread-arms signal used by the official. I don't think the official meant it as the standard "not closely guarded" signal. That, to me anyway, clearly conveyed the message, "I saw what just happened but I've got nothing." Seems to be like what soccer has with their "play on" signal.
I like that and wouldn't mind seeing it or something similar become a standard signal.
I've pointed to the floor where a player coming from the BC has landed just before catching a pass from the FC. This is to indicate that the landing happened first.

I support the additional information.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...One item in particular I was interested to see in the video was the unofficial spread-arms signal used by the official. I don't think the official meant it as the standard "not closely guarded" signal. That, to me anyway, clearly conveyed the message, "I saw what just happened but I've got nothing." Seems to be like what soccer has with their "play on" signal.
I think that signal was completely instintual -- probably in reaction to/in anticipation of noise from the bench wanting a violation called. It clearly conveyed the message that the ref had it the whole way and (correctly) had no call.

As far as making this signal standard, I don't think you can do that. Technically speaking, the official has to be able to continue the 10 second count should the player catching the ball remain in the backcourt.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

It's not standard, but it's similar to the "safe" signal in baseball or softball in a weird case where your signal is merely conveying "I saw that, and it's nothing".

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 11:42am
#thereferee99

Exactly

Quote:
I could see the other point of view (don't use the mechanic), but it seemed the best way to communicate to all at the time.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

I agree...no call. The passer was still in the backcourt when the ball was passed.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 11:54am
NFHS Official

The "not closely guarded signal" is an official signal, it was added to the official signals this year. Number 12 on the signal chart of the rule book.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I've pointed to the floor where a player coming from the BC has landed just before catching a pass from the FC. This is to indicate that the landing happened first.

I support the additional information.

Regarding floor point .... Yup
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 01:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Blind Jokes, Please ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
The "not closely guarded signal" is an official signal, it was added to the official signals this year. Number 12 on the signal chart of the rule book.
The "not closely guarded" signal was removed from the IAABO mechanics manual at the beginning of the 2012-13 season. I guess they figure that if you're not counting, you don't have a closely guarded count. Stupid IAABO mechanics. What was wrong with the NFHS mechanics that we were using for many, many years?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Mar 15, 2013, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Had a play identical to this earlier in the season. It was close, but the kid's foot was still in the backcourt. The coach and crowed howled, but there was nothing to call!
Old Fri Mar 15, 2013, 01:03pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The "not closely guarded" signal was removed from the IAABO mechanics manual at the beginning of the 2012-13 season. I guess they figure that if you're not counting, you don't have a closely guarded count. Stupid IAABO mechanics. What was wrong with the NFHS mechanics that we were using for many, many years?
I don't use it all the time. However in some situations I will. For example if it is a close tight game and there is a lot of ball pressure I will use it to make sure that all coaches know they aren't closely guarded.
Old Fri Mar 15, 2013, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

momentary brain freeze

Altering the video sitch a hair, what if the player HAD BOTH feet in the frontcourt but had yet to get the ball across and then shovel passed it off his dribble to his teammate still in backcourt? I realize if player picks up his dribble he has front court status and this play would be a violation, but would there need to be clear end of dribble and player control to give ball front court status?
Old Fri Mar 15, 2013, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Altering the video sitch a hair, what if the player HAD BOTH feet in the frontcourt but had yet to get the ball across and then shovel passed it off his dribble to his teammate still in backcourt? I realize if player picks up his dribble he has front court status and this play would be a violation, but would there need to be clear end of dribble and player control to give ball front court status?
If it was still a dribble, then you'd need all three points. Since he clearly ened his dribble and then passed the ball, your (changed) description would result in a violation.