The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt Violation? with Video (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94346-backcourt-violation-video.html)

referee99 Wed Mar 13, 2013 06:58am

Backcourt Violation? with Video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/16hBqo1UAiQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

APG Wed Mar 13, 2013 07:06am

No call correct

bob jenkins Wed Mar 13, 2013 07:38am

Good (no) call.

Raymond Wed Mar 13, 2013 07:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 884518)
...video...

What is your opinion?

Pantherdreams Wed Mar 13, 2013 08:49am

Good no call on backcourt.

Inunrelated news I think there is a travel on the catch.

Adam Wed Mar 13, 2013 08:52am

If he'd picked that backcourt foot up sooner, it would have been since he lost the "three points" protection when he ended his dribble to pass. However, since I can't tell if he passed the ball before or after picking up his BC foot, I'm not calling it.

bob jenkins Wed Mar 13, 2013 09:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 884539)
Good no call on backcourt.

Inunrelated news I think there is a travel on the catch.

Only in slo-mo might there be a technical travel. The player catches the ball in the air and lands with the left foot first. He's clearly in the action of starting a dribble when the left foot leaves the ground -- very hard to tell whether the ball leaves his hand first.

In real time, it's a no call (almost) always.

referee99 Wed Mar 13, 2013 09:08am

Great call.

...if I do say so...

Pantherdreams Wed Mar 13, 2013 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 884541)
Only in slo-mo might there be a technical travel. The player catches the ball in the air and lands with the left foot first. He's clearly in the action of starting a dribble when the left foot leaves the ground -- very hard to tell whether the ball leaves his hand first.

In real time, it's a no call (almost) always.

It is difficult from that angle to see if the third step starts before the ball is picked up though it looks that way from here but from my view it looks like he lands left-right- then goes and puts his left foot down again. Now if the ball is out of his hand before he lifts the left then obviously its good. IMO it looks like he's still holding the ball while he takes most of that/ if not all the third step.

That may just be a local application difference. We've been asked to be certain the ball is out the hand before the backfoot comes up, anything close in high level games we are expected to call the footwork. (And yes preseason high school and university games were a mess until coaches and players adjusted.)

bob jenkins Wed Mar 13, 2013 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 884543)
...if I do say so...

Wish I had video of a similar no-call in a regional game here. I had no call, C had no-call, fans and coaches going nuts, one referee in stands said we missed it.

referee99 Wed Mar 13, 2013 09:19am

When I got the DVD...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 884546)
Wish I had video of a similar no-call in a regional game here. I had no call, C had no-call, fans and coaches going nuts, one referee in stands said we missed it.

... I knew just the play I wanted. I was completely confident in the accuracy, but knew it would be a good one to look at.

Raymond Wed Mar 13, 2013 09:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 884528)
What is your opinion?

Guess I know your answer now...LOL

JetMetFan Wed Mar 13, 2013 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 884548)
... I knew just the play I wanted. I was completely confident in the accuracy, but knew it would be a good one to look at.

Great self-restraint/patient whistle. When I get those I start thinking, "Here comes the groan from the benches and the crowd...NOW!" :)

Freddy Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:20am

"I've Got Nothing" Signal?

Agree on the no-call. Had one not quite as goofy in a post-season tourney game last week that brought half the stands out of their seats to protest, but got the no-call right.
One item in particular I was interested to see in the video was the unofficial spread-arms signal used by the official. I don't think the official meant it as the standard "not closely guarded" signal. That, to me anyway, clearly conveyed the message, "I saw what just happened but I've got nothing." Seems to be like what soccer has with their "play on" signal.
I like that and wouldn't mind seeing it or something similar become a standard signal.

Jay R Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 884545)
It is difficult from that angle to see if the third step starts before the ball is picked up though it looks that way from here but from my view it looks like he lands left-right- then goes and puts his left foot down again. Now if the ball is out of his hand before he lifts the left then obviously its good. IMO it looks like he's still holding the ball while he takes most of that/ if not all the third step.

That may just be a local application difference. We've been asked to be certain the ball is out the hand before the backfoot comes up, anything close in high level games we are expected to call the footwork. (And yes preseason high school and university games were a mess until coaches and players adjusted.)

Wouldn't you want to apply the opposing philosophy? Don't call a travel unless you are certain that the pivot foot was lifted before he released the ball.

Are you in Canada? Canada Basketball's memo last year to tighten up on travelling was taken to extraordinary lenghts by some officials. I still only want to calll travels when I'm certain. If I'm guessing, i'm guessing it's legal.