The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 05:22pm
AremRed

Signal 17

Can someone please explain NFHS signal 17 to me?
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

When you are the trail official for a 2 man crew on a Free Throw.

1 shot.
2 shots.
3 shots.

Last edited by Terrapins Fan; Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 05:42pm.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 05:29pm
NFHS Official

Signal for how many free throws are about to happen.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 05:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

The calling official or center official signals what kind of FTs are awarded. In some cases the administering official does the same. Check your local listings on who does what and when.

I also do not do exactly what the book shows, a simple two handed signal for one and one or one hand for two/three shots works. I do not have to spread out like Jesus on the cross to give that information.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 06:37pm
AremRed

So is this done in both 2 and 3 man? Is this the required signal for how the number of shots is to be communicated? Does this mean I cannot signal the number of shots with one hand at eye level?
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
So is this done in both 2 and 3 man? Is this the required signal for how the number of shots is to be communicated? Does this mean I cannot signal the number of shots with one hand at eye level?
Some people would say that the pictures should be followed exactly with the precise arm angle and down to the position of the fingers.

However, that picture is not saying that your arm angle should drop with each increase in the number of shots. It is simply suggesting that the signal is to be used for 1, 2, or 3 shots....with the arms extended with the correct number of fingers.

Personally, I indicate the number of FTs in basically the same manner I as do in reporting the a foul...with my hand out in front and to the side of me with the fingers pointing upwards.

Basically, EVERYONE in the crew, regardless of 2 or 3 man should be communicating the number of shots to be taken. Everyone MUST be on the same page here. Short of communicating it, you can't be sure of that and you're not going to be yelling it to each other or getting together after every foul.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 06:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
What you can or cannot do is up to the people you work for and with. But I very seldom see anyone that puts their hands out in this manner to signal they are shooting a certain number of shots.

And this has nothing to do with 2 or 3 man, as it does not have anything specifically to do with where you stand or go on the floor.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 06:54pm
This IS My Social Life

If We Only Had a Brain

Quote:
Our crews don't have that one official with an arm or arms straight out like a scarecrow signifying the number of free throws. However, crew-wide indication of how many free throws are due is of utmost importance so that the occasion of a 2-10 correctable error is minimized. We pregame it that at one time prior to administration of the ball for a free throw, all officials will, however briefly, have the number of free throws displayed with the proper number of digits at the end of an extended arm prominently shown to each other at the same time (yes, one hand at eye level). This triple confirmation (double for two-man, of course) has saved us from several potential CE's this season again--usually involving an issue with the scorer's table rather than us. But the system works to verify for all of us the proper number of free throws due.
Old Thu Mar 14, 2013, 07:45pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What you can or cannot do is up to the people you work for and with.
Well my state uses the NFHS rules, so I presume they want us doing the signals by the book. When I watch (3-man) games in my area, I see the C sometimes signal to the side, sometimes up high.

I guess I was initially confused by the wording "bonus free throw for 2nd throw, drop one arm"

Only once have I seen an official use the shots signal out to the side while reporting, everyone else does it up high.
Old Fri Mar 15, 2013, 07:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

Straightlined ???

Quote:
Only once have I seen an official use the shots signal out to the side while reporting, everyone else does it up high.
A few years ago "international" IAABO made a change and had us reporting to the table with fingers shoulder high, but off to the side, so that the fingers "stood out" from our black, and white, jersey. Few of us, in my little corner of Connecticut, made the change, and few of us do it today.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Mar 15, 2013, 08:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Well my state uses the NFHS rules, so I presume they want us doing the signals by the book. When I watch (3-man) games in my area, I see the C sometimes signal to the side, sometimes up high.

I guess I was initially confused by the wording "bonus free throw for 2nd throw, drop one arm"

I'm sure nobody cares. I haven't signaled the number of FTs out to the side since the early 1990s (when I did have a supervisor who cared about such things - things have changed a lot in the last 20 years despite the signal chart).
Old Fri Mar 15, 2013, 05:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Apologies To Admiral Farragut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I haven't signaled the number of FTs out to the side since the early 1990s, when I did have a supervisor who cared about such things.
This is the key to a lot about what we do, how we do it, when we do it, etc. Application of rules, and mechanics, is always local. It's the old "When in Rome ..." philosophy that we are always talking about on the Forum. In my case I do what my local interpreter, and what my two assigning commissioners tell me to do. Damn what the NFHS says. Damn what IAABO says. Full speed ahead.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 01:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Just so you know, rules and mehanics are not the same thing. And states or organizations can do their own mechanics or variation if they choose. And that is according to the NF's standards.

So unless someone tells you to do it that way, then I bet they do not care. Otherwise you would have known what the signal was in the first place.

Peace