The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to VaLadyRef
A1 dribbling in frontcourt when B1 interrupts the dribble (but never establishes control). A1 trys to recover the ball. In the process the ball deflects off of the leg of A1 into the backcourt. A1 goes into the backcourt and recovers ball.

I called a backcourt violation. I was discussing this with another official who seemed to think that this was not a violation, due to team control being lost.

What do you all say?

[Edited by VaLadyRef on Jan 19th, 2005 at 03:35 PM]
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jayzer
Exclamation

I'm with you. I would have called it over and back. A caused the ball to go back and aA was the last one in control in the 4 ciort.

Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

If you mean that B1 interupts the dribble, never gained team control and A1 causes the ball to regain backcourt status, I agree with your backcourt violation.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 03:36pm
M.A.S.H.

Thumbs up

Good call! It's a violation.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VaLadyRef
A1 dribbling in frontcourt when B1 interrupts the dribble (but never establishes control). A1 trys to recover the ball. In the process the ball deflects off of the leg of A1 into the backcourt. A1 goes into the backcourt and recovers ball.

I called a backcourt violation. I was discussing this with another official who seemed to think that this was not a violation, due to team control being lost.

What do you all say?

[Edited by VaLadyRef on Jan 19th, 2005 at 03:35 PM]
Did team B hold the ball?

Did team A attempt a try?

Was there a dead ball?

So where did team A lose team control?

You got it right.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

9-9-1 A player shall not... Be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Team control wasn't lost. A loose ball does NOT end team control.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks...I had hoped I was correct. The coach apparently got very upset when it happened (I didn't focus in on that since I became lead and was under the basket). Mind you, this happened with about 3 minutes left in the first quarter. Just before the third quarter began the coach walked over to the table and told me in the form of a question "don't the rules say that if the defense tips the ball then there is no violation?" I answered him yes, but that I had the ball off of his player's leg. He then proceeded to argue the call with my partner who told the coach that I had answered his question and that was the way it was (my partner did really do a good job of backing me up). When the coach said that a parent was taping the game and that we could watch it, my partner told him that we were not going to be watching a tape. The coach made a comment about not getting any 'good' calls and went back to the bench. Partner ended up warning him in the 4th for arguing one of his calls.

Being my first year, this is the first time that I have been approached by a coach, and then completely disregarded. The coach of the visiting team, who ended up with the loss, did make a point of telling my partner and I after the game that we had called a good game, so I really appreciated that.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
9-9-1 A player shall not... Be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.
Thanks WyMike. I looked that up last night, but I don't have my rule book here with me at work.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The coach of the visiting team, who ended up with the loss, did make a point of telling my partner and I after the game that we had called a good game, so I really appreciated that.
If the visiting coach had told you that you called a lousy game, would you have believed him?

Take what coaches say to you with quite a grain of salt, whether positive or negative.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 04:06pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Just before the third quarter began the coach walked over to the table and told me in the form of a question "don't the rules say that if the defense tips the ball then there is no violation?"
Be careful here VaLady, as I said before you had the right call, but if you only make this statement then it's half way true. If the defense is the last to touch/tip the ball into the backcourt--then there's no violation. But if they touch/tip the ball and the team in control touches it then it goes in the backcourt and the team in control touches it (like you had)--then there's a violation. Again, good call!
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks...I had hoped I was correct. The coach apparently got very upset when it happened (I didn't focus in on that since I became lead and was under the basket). Mind you, this happened with about 3 minutes left in the first quarter. Just before the third quarter began the coach walked over to the table and told me in the form of a question "don't the rules say that if the defense tips the ball then there is no violation?" I answered him yes, but that I had the ball off of his player's leg. He then proceeded to argue the call with my partner who told the coach that I had answered his question and that was the way it was (my partner did really do a good job of backing me up). When the coach said that a parent was taping the game and that we could watch it, my partner told him that we were not going to be watching a tape. The coach made a comment about not getting any 'good' calls and went back to the bench. Partner ended up warning him in the 4th for arguing one of his calls.

Being my first year, this is the first time that I have been approached by a coach, and then completely disregarded. The coach of the visiting team, who ended up with the loss, did make a point of telling my partner and I after the game that we had called a good game, so I really appreciated that.
Back court violation occurred in the first quarter and he was still whining about it in the third quarter. That's ancient history and I would have told him so. Incidently that's a variation of the ugly backcourt violation that 99% of the Coaches, players and fans don't understand. Every time it happens you will get grief from somebody.

Good luck and have a good season.