The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

WRECK League Technical Question

Yes, I know the aversion most of you have towards rec. games, but I have a question.

Intramural game last night, player goes up for a shot and thinks he gets hit. No foul was called and he proceeded to go back on defense, spinning his way down the court as he ran, holding his arm up in the air slapping it to show he felt he was fouled. When his team got the ball back, he continued slapping his arm demonstratively and looking at the official who did not make the call the first time. Next dead ball I told him to cut out the theatrics.

Now he is on the bench, (he is also the team captain/coach) pass/crash called against his team and he shoots of the bench stomping his feet and barking, calling official who is table-side lets it go and the player walks up and down the sideline next to the official barking in his ear.

Third event, still on the bench, ball goes out of bounds off his team. He jumps up pointing in his team's direction and when official points the other way, the player slaps his hands together loudly, stomps, and does a little spin near the bench while he says "Oh my gosh, wow!" At this point, I whack him.

Here is the question: Do you feel it was justified? I am the most experienced on the crew of 3, and my partners (as well as the supervisor) were amazed that I got him. Personally I couldn't believe the official let the reaction and riding go on the pass/crash call.

Last edited by rekent; Mon Feb 18, 2013 at 12:18pm.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Yes. I doubt he'd have gotten that far with me. I'd rather keep the peace and keep my sanity by giving him a 'that's enough' early on in his acting routine, and letting him earn the T with the very next comment.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow View Post
Yes. I doubt he'd have gotten that far with me. I'd rather keep the peace and keep my sanity by giving him a 'that's enough' early on in his acting routine, and letting him earn the T with the very next comment.
That's what I did after the up and down court slapping his arm. I was opposite side of the court on the pass/crash so I wasn't sure if the calling official thought he kicked it so he was giving the guy a little more rope, but the third one was more than I was planning on putting up with regardless.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 12:28pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
Yes, I know the aversion most of you have towards rec. games, but I have a question.

Intramural game last night, player goes up for a shot and thinks he gets hit. No foul was called and he proceeded to go back on defense, spinning his way down the court as he ran, holding his arm up in the air slapping it to show he felt he was fouled. When his team got the ball back, he continued slapping his arm demonstratively and looking at the official who did not make the call the first time. Next dead ball I told him to cut out the theatrics.

Now he is on the bench, (he is also the team captain/coach) pass/crash called against his team and he shoots of the bench stomping his feet and barking, calling official who is table-side lets it go and the player walks up and down the sideline next to the official barking in his ear.

Third event, still on the bench, ball goes out of bounds off his team. He jumps up pointing in his team's direction and when official points the other way, the player slaps his hands together loudly, stomps, and does a little spin near the bench while he says "Oh my gosh, wow!" At this point, I whack him.

Here is the question: Do you feel it was justified? I am the most experienced on the crew of 3, and my partners (as well as the supervisor) were amazed that I got him. Personally I couldn't believe the official let the reaction and riding go on the pass/crash call.
It's wreck league. If for some reason I didn't tag him here, I'd warn him to play ball, and I'd definitely tag him here.

If the third event still happened, he gets an early shower.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 12:31pm
We don't rent pigs

There is no standard for rec leagues. Depending on where it is, who is involved, and the age of the participants, the acceptable conduct level may vary wildly, anything from equal to a normal high school varsity game to one with adult participants where players and officials exchange profanity. You just have to find out what is expected at your local league and if you are comfortable with it, do it.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
It's wreck league. If for some reason I didn't tag him here, I'd warn him to play ball, and I'd definitely tag him here.

I was seriously tempted on the arm slap and little pirouettes down the floor. It was early in the first though so I just told him to cut it out first chance I got. The other I was hoping would be a learning opportunity for the calling official close to him to develop his boundaries and get past the nervousness of whacking someone. Also didn't want to hurt partners' credibility.

The third time I was fed up with him regardless of my position on the floor or who he was directing it at.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
There is no standard for rec leagues. Depending on where it is, who is involved, and the age of the participants, the acceptable conduct level may vary wildly, anything from equal to a normal high school varsity game to one with adult participants where players and officials exchange profanity.
D-1 college intramural, zero tolerance policy for profanity, and sportsmanship strongly encouraged. Close to a high school setting is the hope, with a few modifications forced.

In a scholastic game, I get the guy with the arm slap all the way down the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
You just have to find out what is expected at your local league and if you are comfortable with it, do it.
The overall boss would whack him I'm sure and be fine with my call, I just couldn't believe my partners and the supervisor on duty (less experience than me) were so surprised that I didn't let it go and took exception to those 3 acts.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Honestly, I believe you are overthinking it. The 'T' is a tool to manage the game and your sanity. Use it when either are slipping away and move on.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Justified? Absolutely

Sounds like your supervisor doesn't know what unsporting behavior is.

I would agree that behavior shouldn't have gone past the pass/crash call and I believe some would have stuck him with his first on court antics.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 12:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post

Agreed. If he just does it on defense, I'll talk to him at the first chance, but if he still wants to act like a ballerina after his team has the ball, we're shooting.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

A player jumps off the bench, paces the sideline while barking in an officials' ear? And they're amazed at YOU for giving him a T later? What would it take for them to give a T, a punch?
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
A player jumps off the bench, paces the sideline while barking in an officials' ear? And they're amazed at YOU for giving him a T later? What would it take for them to give a T, a punch?
My thoughts exactly... Just don't understand it.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

You waited far too long to whack Mr. Barishnakov.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 01:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
In a scholastic game, I get the guy with the arm slap all the way down the floor.
For the record, I wouldn't approach these games with more tolerance than you have in a scholastic game. I don't need the grief, to be honest, and if the league wants sportsmanship to be emphasized, then they'll support your T.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
For the record, I wouldn't approach these games with more tolerance than you have in a scholastic game. I don't need the grief, to be honest, and if the league wants sportsmanship to be emphasized, then they'll support your T.
My idea was that in a scholastic game there is near zero tolerance for bench personnel negative reactions in response to calls. Here, the player who got whacked was the captain or de facto coach which is what got him as much rope as he had. But then at the same time, the team leader should set the example, and that certainly wasn't a good one.