The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 12:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Wreck league wreport

As I posted previously, in a moment of weakness I took some wreck league games. I had three last night. The first one was relatively uneventful. The second one was one of the biggest blowouts I've ever had, 111-26! Love them blowouts. Had to toss one clown in the third game. Methinks he doth protest too much. Two Ts for excessive profanity directed at an official (me). He was one of those guys who thinks he gets fouled every time he touches the ball and he never fouls anyone even if they're on the floor because he elbowed them in the jaw.

There's really no breaks between games. The only reason I can do three like that is because the court is about 2/3 the size of a standard HS court and we use "convenience mechanics" (not a lot of switching).

Gee - I can't wait until next week.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 12:37pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Had to toss one clown in the third game. Methinks he doth protest too much. Two Ts for excessive profanity directed at an official (me).
Sounds like you're already in mid-season form!
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 12:47pm
Ch1town

Quote:
He was one of those guys who thinks he gets fouled every time he touches the ball and he never fouls anyone even if they're on the floor because he elbowed them in the jaw.

Those guys are the funniest... they're usually the ones that approach you before the game or at the half "Can you watch out #52 he's a hacker"

Thank goodness I only have 2 more wreck assignments before 11/29!
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He was one of those guys who thinks he gets fouled every time he touches the ball and he never fouls anyone even if they're on the floor because he elbowed them in the jaw.
What?!? The guy gets fouled on the elbow because the other player made illegal contact with his jaw, and you didn't call that?!?

Thanks for reminding me why I don't take those games when they're offered to me.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

I had one of those guys a couple years ago

I called a foul on him and when I turned away to report foul, I didn't see him pick up ball and rifle it at my head. I suddenly felt someone shove me and was about to get pi$$ed when I saw/heard ball flash by and almost knock down wall. Guy who shoved me was a teammate of the fellow throwing the ball.

I tossed the thrower, thanked the pusher and finished game. League suspended him for 6 games, team suspended him indefinately.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Before the game:

Coach: Ref, watch out for their point guard. He always pushes off when he dribbles.

Ref: What a coincidence. The other coach said the same thing about your point guard
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 01:32pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Before the game:

Coach: Ref, watch out for their point guard. He always pushes off when he dribbles.

Ref: What a coincidence. The other coach said the same thing about your point guard

Meanwhile, you make sure jumper does not catch the toss.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 01:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
As I posted previously, in a moment of weakness I took some wreck league games. I had three last night. The first one was relatively uneventful. The second one was one of the biggest blowouts I've ever had, 111-26! Love them blowouts. Had to toss one clown in the third game. Methinks he doth protest too much. Two Ts for excessive profanity directed at an official (me). He was one of those guys who thinks he gets fouled every time he touches the ball and he never fouls anyone even if they're on the floor because he elbowed them in the jaw.

There's really no breaks between games. The only reason I can do three like that is because the court is about 2/3 the size of a standard HS court and we use "convenience mechanics" (not a lot of switching).

Gee - I can't wait until next week.
I haven't worked a rec game in 5 years. No amount of asking could get me to do one.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 02:20pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
I had one of those guys a couple years ago

I called a foul on him and when I turned away to report foul, I didn't see him pick up ball and rifle it at my head. I suddenly felt someone shove me and was about to get pi$$ed when I saw/heard ball flash by and almost knock down wall. Guy who shoved me was a teammate of the fellow throwing the ball.

I tossed the thrower, thanked the pusher and finished game. League suspended him for 6 games, team suspended him indefinately.
Had one of those too. Partner made a call and guy turned around to me and said "be ready to finish the game alone!" I whacked him, told my partner what the idiot said, and quietly told the scorekeeper to call the cops. This was right before halftime, so the cops showed up at the half. Needless to say, we never saw the guy again because our city's finest gave him a bar and ban letter from the community center.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Before the game:

HAHA...I gotta use that one!

I know this is about adult wrec league as you call it....

I love it when the coach of the 7th and 8th grade team says to me, "I didn't pay money for this league to get my kids hurt"...(usually after a mad scramble for loose ball)...

I simply tell them I understand and I didn't show up today with the intention of of letting them get hurt either...That usually quiets them down...

I like that "other coach said that too" line...
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 04:24pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
HAHA...I gotta use that one!

I know this is about adult wrec league as you call it....

I love it when the coach of the 7th and 8th grade team says to me, "I didn't pay money for this league to get my kids hurt"...(usually after a mad scramble for loose ball)...

I simply tell them I understand and I didn't show up today with the intention of of letting them get hurt either...That usually quiets them down...

I like that "other coach said that too" line...
Had the "site supervisor" (usually the volunteer AD from a parochial school) come up to us during a 7th and 8th grade game and say something like that. He came up to us and said we needed to call a tighter game because the kids were getting hurt. When I asked him if he was referring to the one that got hurt in the first half, he said yes. I asked him if he saw the play, and he said no, but knew there was no foul called. I said well, kinda hard to call a foul when the girl was all by herself and started to drive into the lane and took a bad step and went down hard. He said, call something next time and walked away. By this point, partner was already on the phone calling the assignor. After the game, the supervisor came up and apologized to us, saying he got a call from the league President who got a call from the assignor. He didn't realize word could travel so fast. I remarked "the wonders of cell phone technology!" He wouldn't talk to me the rest of the day.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 04:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch
I asked him if he saw the play, and he said no, but knew there was no foul called. I said well, kinda hard to call a foul when the girl was all by herself and started to drive into the lane and took a bad step and went down hard.
What's wrong with you? Don't you know that calling a foul in that case would have prevented the girl from being hurt?
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 04:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
What's wrong with you? Don't you know that calling a foul in that case would have prevented the girl from being hurt?
Maybe not, but it sure would have made her Mom feel better.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch
... I said well, kinda hard to call a foul when the girl was all by herself and started to drive into the lane and took a bad step and went down hard. He said, call something next time and walked away...
Sounds like a travel to me...
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 05:03pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
At least you would have blown the whistle....