The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 11:51am
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow Wreck league report

As I stated in an previous post, in a weak moment I accepted two wreck league games last night. I thought I would be working the 35 and over league, but when I got to the gym, it was regular wreck league. Also, I wasn't aware we could wear shorts. Of twelve refs (there are six courts at this facility), I was the only one in long pants. I kept expecting someone to make a remark about me being ashamed of my legs, but it didn't happen - at least I didn't hear anything.

Overall, there weren't any problems to speak of, except one player must of had a friend in the stands named "Traveling", because he kept calling that out whenever the other team had the ball. We just ignored him. My partner, with whom I'd never worked before, was great. In two games, we had only one double whistle (on a three second call). I thought that was pretty good for being new to each other.

A really weird thing, though - the home team keeps the clock and book. What I mean is they have a player do it. The player switches all the time depending on who's on the bench and who's in the game.

Some notes on their rules: they play 25 minute running halves with one forty-second timeout per team per half with no carryover (love that) and the clock runs during the timeouts!! Stop time in the last two minutes of the game only if the point spread is six or less, and no timeouts during that time.

It's pretty much HS rules except they can enter the FT lane on the release. Plus - they've adopted the NBA flagrant one and flagrant two rule. I really like that even though it didn't come up. Plus - they each get six personals before fouling out.

Oh yeah - they have a rule against "diving". They don't want these guys diving for loose balls and getting hurt, I guess.

So, all in all, it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. Neither game went into stop time and there actually were some pretty nice plays. Go figure.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

25 minutes? I do 3-4 men's leagues and they are all 20 minute running halves, stop clock last minute in first, two minutes in second. Guys start getting chippy and we start switching on fouls, they figureed it out fast.

Curious, what's your game fee? we're 30-35 here.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

I am proud of you for seeing it thru... even if it wasnt feeble ol men playing. Plus ya got to experience yet another set of rule differences.... isnt that special. Dont worry 'bout those kiddos in shorts; you looked 100x more professional in your slacks!!! I keep waiting on pixs of Ref's with canes chasing players on roller skates.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 01:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Curious, what's your game fee? we're 30-35 here.
That's the other problem with working this league. It only pays $19 per game. My local kids rec league pays a lot more than that. I've got a "classic" kids league starting in a few weeks that pays pretty good and you get paid at the game. Cool.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like an easy night.

Here's what I had Tuesday night. Boys and Girls Club High School Leage. $27 per game. 10 minute running quarters. Subs at 5:00 Minute mark, clock stops during FTs and all whistles last minute of each half.

Game 1 -- 3 Ts, all on the same team, 2 in the first half, 1 in the second half. 1 for a mouth kid (by my partner), 1 for a kid coming up the floorbehind everyone else slapping his own wrist as if to say he was fouled, and the third one for a mouthy kid on the bench. The team with all the Ts should have won the game, I thought, but ended up getting their clocks cleaned since they weren't interested in playing defense. With about a minute left and a 15 point spread, the coach of the team getting whipped calls a TO and tells me that while this is just a silly little league, we were doing a disservice to the game by calling the Ts that we did, and then calling nothing (just before the timeout he called) on a kid who was going down on a fastbreak, lost the ball, and punched the wall/pads cause he was frustrated with himself.) I asked the coach if he wanted to know the difference in the calls/no call. Of course he wasn't interested.

Game 2 -- Whacked a mouthy kid about 2 minutes in that didn't like my OOB call. Rest of the game was rather uneventful.

Game 3 -- 20 seconds in, a kid throws up an airball, and lets out a rather loud "OH $h!t!!" Partner whacks him. About 2 minutes later. He's got the ball in the key, and can't decide what to do with it and I end up with a 3 second violation on him. He zings the ball towards my head. I nod my head to the side to avoid being hit, and whack him with T #2, and he's done for the night.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 04:26pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
New television game show - "Are You Smarter Than Billy Packer?"

Sounds like a carnival game where "Everyone's a winnah!"
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 05:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
New television game show - "Are You Smarter Than Billy Packer?"

Sounds like a carnival game where "Everyone's a winnah!"
Yeah - and there's only three questions:

1) Who's buried in Grant's tomb?
2) What color was George Washington's white horse?
3) Multiple choice: Who invented basketball?
a. Dr. James Naismith
b. Paris Hilton
c. The French

To be smarter than Billy Packer, you only have to get one right.

BTW - is it true that Packer's favorite song is the Beatles' "Over The Back In The USSR"?