The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
Yes, I know the aversion most of you have towards rec. games, but I have a question.

Intramural game last night, player goes up for a shot and thinks he gets hit. No foul was called and he proceeded to go back on defense, spinning his way down the court as he ran, holding his arm up in the air slapping it to show he felt he was fouled. When his team got the ball back, he continued slapping his arm demonstratively and looking at the official who did not make the call the first time. Next dead ball I told him to cut out the theatrics.

I think the warning in the at this time is fair. He was informed these antics would not be acceptable. I would have made sure to let my partner(s) known I had warned him as well.

Now he is on the bench, (he is also the team captain/coach) pass/crash called against his team and he shoots of the bench stomping his feet and barking, calling official who is table-side lets it go and the player walks up and down the sideline next to the official barking in his ear.

This should have been a technical at this time. He had been warned already. Captain or not, there is a correct way, and an incorrect way to approach and official if you question a call as captain. He choose the wrong way. He needed to be T'ed up at this point.

Third event, still on the bench, ball goes out of bounds off his team. He jumps up pointing in his team's direction and when official points the other way, the player slaps his hands together loudly, stomps, and does a little spin near the bench while he says "Oh my gosh, wow!" At this point, I whack him.

It never should have gotten this far in my opinion. He was warned once, then should have earned a T the second time he got mouthy. The third one, I likely would not have T'ed him for. He showed disagreement with the call yes, but he did not use profane language.

Here is the question: Do you feel it was justified? I am the most experienced on the crew of 3, and my partners (as well as the supervisor) were amazed that I got him. Personally I couldn't believe the official let the reaction and riding go on the pass/crash call.
I have worked a lot of Rec League games, and generally I call Tech's the same way I would in a HS game. The lone difference is with language. I generally won't give a T for language the in a Rec game unless it is so blatant or is directed at me, a partner, or an opponent. I will warn teams. I usually will warn a player first for language before giving a technical foul in a Rec game. I likely won't in a school game unless it is muttered where only a few people can hear.

BTW: I worked 7 years of college IM games and now work an adult Rec League. I have never been shy about calling a Tech or tossing a player out.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
+1000. The penalty is for taking care of the current business. We don't/shouldn't care about the future ramifications of our actions related to penalizing by rule someone else's actions. Had my first flagrant personal foul DQ a few weeks ago where the two bigs were fighting in the paint to get position on a rebound. One started to lose his balance and he grabbed the other guy by the neck and pretty much pile drove him into the floor and landed on his head. My partner thought we should have just gone with an intentional because now the kid had to sit out the next game (this was JV and he was a starter for the V game the same evening.) I am glad I didn't take into account the "sit the next game" penalty as I still feel like the flagrant was warranted.
A Varsity starter playing in the preceding JV game?? Seems strange...not done around here. Perhaps good coaching on the JV's part for instigating??
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:22pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow View Post
Correct. They all had food poisoning (except Speilberg, who traveled with his own private stock of Spaghettio's) and Ford was NOT up to filming the elaborate fight scene they planned. So he shot him. The crew actually wrapped up filming early on that location by like a week because they just wanted to get the heck out.
The story as I heard it: Ford did not feel like filming the fight scene (perhaps for the reason you mention) and noticed that his costume included a sidearm. He asked Spielberg, "Why the **** do I have to fight this **** when I could just shoot him?"

Spielberg did not have a ready answer and told him to try it. Everyone liked it, and it stood up in the final cut.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Intramural game last night, player goes up for a shot and thinks he gets hit. No foul was called and he proceeded to go back on defense, spinning his way down the court as he ran, holding his arm up in the air slapping it to show he felt he was fouled. When his team got the ball back, he continued slapping his arm demonstratively and looking at the official who did not make the call the first time. Next dead ball I told him to cut out the theatrics.

I think the warning in the at this time is fair. He was informed these antics would not be acceptable. I would have made sure to let my partner(s) known I had warned him as well.
I have to disagree with the comment in red. As the assignor I mentioned in the previous post would say, if he doesn't get a T now anything this guy does after this point is our fault because we didn't stop him the first time he acted up. If he gets a T for this and for some reason doesn't understand what it was for, then he truly needed to get it.

Let's think of it this way: if an NBA player making thousands to millions of dollars would get a T for this without a thought, why the heck should we let some guy in a rec league game get away with it?
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 12:47pm.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I have to disagree with the comment in red. As the assignor I mentioned in the previous post would say, if he doesn't get a T now anything this guy does after this point is our fault because we didn't stop him the first time he acted up. If he gets a T for this and for some reason doesn't understand what it was for, then he truly needed to get it.

Let's think of it this way: if an NBA player making thousands to millions of dollars would get a T for this without a thought, why the heck should we let some guy in a rec league game get away with it?
Yep, showing me up to everyone in the gym is an easy T. I'll usually give them a quick demo, but if they continue rather than play basketball, I'm skipping the warning.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Exactly...for one, depending on how demonstrative a player was, he would get whacked in the NBA for the hand slapping bit...but if he decided to do this after the initial play, and then do so after his team got the ball, he'd still be violating the NBA's respect for the game guidelines and would almost certainly get whacked for continuously arguing about the play.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My idea was that in a scholastic game there is near zero tolerance for bench personnel negative reactions in response to calls.
True.

And there should be even less tolerance (Less Than Zero?) in a Wreck game.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Exactly...for one, depending on how demonstrative a player was, he would get whacked in the NBA for the hand slapping bit...but if he decided to do this after the initial play, and then do so after his team got the ball, he'd still be violating the NBA's respect for the game guidelines and would almost certainly get whacked for continuously arguing about the play.
As I continue my rant ...

The other problem with not calling a T for the arm-slapping, pirouette thing is you've now backed yourself into a corner for that game. If someone else does it you really can't T them up, either. Is that really what you want?
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As I continue my rant ...

The other problem with not calling a T for the arm-slapping, pirouette thing is you've now backed yourself into a corner for that game. If someone else does it you really can't T them up, either. Is that really what you want?
I was the farthest official from either of the first two acts and didn't want to pull my partner's credibility out from under them (and I also believed they were experienced enough to shut this guy down). By the third I didn't care where it was...
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was the farthest official from either of the first two acts and didn't want to pull my partner's credibility out from under them (and I also believed they were experienced enough to shut this guy down). By the third I didn't care where it was...
Understood and we've all been there but sometimes we have to save each other - and, effectively, the entire crew - from ourselves with a call no matter where we are. I'd be upset with the other guys because they put all of you in a lousy spot for that game.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:26am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
A Varsity starter playing in the preceding JV game?? Seems strange...not done around here. Perhaps good coaching on the JV's part for instigating??
Yeah, many of the small schools only add 2-4 players per level. Ie: Sophomore roster has 8 players, those 8 also dress JV with 3 more juniors, and all of them dress varsity with he addition of 2-3 more seniors.

There was no instigation by the other team, at least in my opinion. I have no reason to believe that that was happening in this game nor have I seen it in other games. However, never really thought about that before. This could be something that could happen to get someone out of a varsity game. i will watch for this more in the future.