The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Exactly.

Until you can say you've never reached on a call in your life, there's no reason to get pissed on one single call like this. Although I can't imagine even putting a whistle on this unless it's a cadence whistle used only because the L had a complete brain fart.
We've all reached, we've all missed. We'll all reach and miss again.

But if I'm the L here Im still a little pissed at 1) the lack of trust showed by the T 2) the over the top theatrics on the wrong call and 3) the complete lack of awareness of the L's whistle and preliminary.

And then when you go to youtube you see this same official calling a block from almost 50 ft away with the same BS over the top mechanics. So he now appears twice on this organization's videos of incorrectly calling out of his area and with clownish mechanics.

For his sake and the sake of basketball I sincerely hope he's learned to stop doing this.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:59pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
And then when you go to youtube you see this same official calling a block from almost 50 ft away with the same BS over the top mechanics.
I think this is the video VaTerp is talking about.

Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
I think this is the video VaTerp is talking about.
That little slide during the report is just horrible to see.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

But if I'm the L here Im still a little pissed at 1) the lack of trust showed by the T 2) the over the top theatrics on the wrong call and 3) the complete lack of awareness of the L's whistle and preliminary.

And then when you go to youtube you see this same official calling a block from almost 50 ft away with the same BS over the top mechanics. So he now appears twice on this organization's videos of incorrectly calling out of his area and with clownish mechanics.

For his sake and the sake of basketball I sincerely hope he's learned to stop doing this.
I still probably wouldn't be pissed at this. I would probably bring it up in the locker room, though.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

This OP video, and the second video posted on page 2 of this thread are CLASSIC examples of why a play is much easier to officiate when the play coming towards an official rather than when it is moving away from an official.

Other than the fact that the calling official was wrong, I have no problem with his mechanics on these two plays. You have to know which 4-5 plays each game require you to sell it...and then SELL IT!
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
This OP video, and the second video posted on page 2 of this thread are CLASSIC examples of why a play is much easier to officiate when the play coming towards an official rather than when it is moving away from an official.

Other than the fact that the calling official was wrong, I have no problem with his mechanics on these two plays. You have to know which 4-5 plays each game require you to sell it...and then SELL IT!
There's never a need to leave your feet when selling a call.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

I swear watching this guy twice he likes calling block just to use that ridiculous looking over-sell block signal.

Yikes.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 12:07am
NFHS Official

Looks bad.

Last edited by OKREF; Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 12:13am.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 12:09am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
I swear watching this guy twice he likes calling block just to use that ridiculous looking over-sell block signal.
Assuming it is the same guy, at least in the second video the dude had the only whistle on the play. I didn't see anything from the Lead that looked like he was going to call something.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
Assuming it is the same guy, at least in the second video the dude had the only whistle on the play. I didn't see anything from the Lead that looked like he was going to call something.
And because there's bodies in the way of the camera, you can't really tell if it's actually a play that needs a whistle. Perhaps the lead passed for a reason.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Neither official seemed to hold off on the preliminary or be aware of the other;s call.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Cue the guy who always inserts the California referee jokes.

This is really bad... 2 person game or otherwise.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I agree with all of this, and I would definitely be having a chat in the locker room afterwards, especially on the first video. He needs to have a more patient whistle and trust his partner who obviously has the right call.

Quote:

There is a difference between selling a call and looking like an absolute fool, and he is the latter. He would get made fun of around here for signals like that.

Like others have said, if you're going to use silly signals/mechanics like that, you had better be damn good and had better get calls right. In the second video he's looking through about three players when the contact happens.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

So...to answer the questions presented at the beginning of each clip:

Play #1: For the T...Try not to call outside of your PCA but if you do, avoid giving a preliminary signal on calls outside of your PCA. Following a dribbler to the goal isn't a bad thing but be aware you have a partner (or two) out there. I would hope someone, anyone would address him about his mechanics.

Play #2: For the T...See play #1. For the L...Don't ball watch. The reason he didn't even pull the trigger on some sort of call is he watched the flight of the ball as opposed to the players. If T hadn't put a whistle on the play there probably wouldn't have been one at all.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Could not disagree more.

You sell a call with your voice, presence, and STRONG mechanics. Not jumping around and making over the top gestures.

He looks, particularly in the first clip, like a clown. Period. That doesnt sell the call. It just makes the fact that he got the call wrong that much worse.