The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 54
Player A is driving with the ball. Player B sets for contact but contact is slight. B then throws his/her feet in the air and drops directly to the floor. This is an obvious flop. Experienced officials recognize this and do not call the player control foul. Usually, that player will not try it again but I would like to see this declared as unsportsmanlike and a personal foul. Just the act of placing the rule will help to clean this up.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Gingerich
Player A is driving with the ball. Player B sets for contact but contact is slight. B then throws his/her feet in the air and drops directly to the floor. This is an obvious flop. Experienced officials recognize this and do not call the player control foul. Usually, that player will not try it again but I would like to see this declared as unsportsmanlike and a personal foul. Just the act of placing the rule will help to clean this up.
The flop is considered to be an unsporting act penalized by a technical foul. The problem is I've never seen it called nor I have felt the need to call it. But the rule is in place.
__________________
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 54
Thanks for the reply. Yes, you are correct, I found it in the 04-05 Points of Emphasis. Unfortunately, it is not called. Yesterday, I witnessed a young official in a HS regional final make the charge call on a flop within the last two minutes of the game. It had a tremendous influence on the outcome. Player A put the ball in for a two pointer but it was waved off and the ball given to the defense. Final score, B 68 A 65
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 03:59pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Gingerich
Yesterday, I witnessed a young official in a HS regional final make the charge call on a flop within the last two minutes of the game. It had a tremendous influence on the outcome. Player A put the ball in for a two pointer but it was waved off and the ball given to the defense. Final score, B 68 A 65
Bob,
Welcome to the forum.
You must have been in the middle of the Lower Peninsula yesterday.
mick
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,614
I wouldn't matter if there was a rule or not. The official in your play made the wrong call because he wasn't officiating the defense. It has nothing to do with an existing rule or the need for a rule. Calling a flop a PC is just bad officiating.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Gingerich
Thanks for the reply. Yes, you are correct, I found it in the 04-05 Points of Emphasis. Unfortunately, it is not called. Yesterday, I witnessed a young official in a HS regional final make the charge call on a flop within the last two minutes of the game. It had a tremendous influence on the outcome. Player A put the ball in for a two pointer but it was waved off and the ball given to the defense. Final score, B 68 A 65

Bob,
Houghton Lake - Tawas?
__________________
omq -- "May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 54
Reply to Mick. Yes, I was in the middle of the LP. I live just north of there and try to make to as many playoff games as I can. I did not qualify for playoffs this year but hope to next year again. Should be lots of games available to get qualified. Are you a troll?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Gingerich
Player A is driving with the ball. Player B sets for contact but contact is slight. B then throws his/her feet in the air and drops directly to the floor. This is an obvious flop. Experienced officials recognize this and do not call the player control foul. Usually, that player will not try it again but I would like to see this declared as unsportsmanlike and a personal foul. Just the act of placing the rule will help to clean this up.
Hey Bob, experienced officials do not call a foul on slight contact.

Flop or not.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 09:17pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Gingerich
Reply to Mick. Yes, I was in the middle of the LP. I live just north of there and try to make to as many playoff games as I can. I did not qualify for playoffs this year but hope to next year again. Should be lots of games available to get qualified. Are you a troll?
Bob,
Ex-troll raised in Fenton and went U.P. north.
My profile is U.P. to date. Houghton.

Oatmealqueen isn't far from you, though. You may even know her.

mick
[email protected]
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 54
Wink

Thanks for all of your responses to this subject. I have not belonged to a forum like this before and feel a little intimidated right now. I will get more comfortable and participate a little more as time goes on. I live in Grayling and officiate in the nw part of the LP primarily. Would welcome correspondence to my email addy. [email protected]
__________________
Stripes1950
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 02:40pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Gingerich
Thanks for all of your responses to this subject. I have not belonged to a forum like this before and feel a little intimidated right now. I will get more comfortable and participate a little more as time goes on. I live in Grayling and officiate in the nw part of the LP primarily. Would welcome correspondence to my email addy. [email protected]
Oughta be pretty empty there this summer, I'll bet, with the National Guard doing other things in other places.

This place intimidating? Sometimes it's much more than that!

I wouldn't be the least surprised that you have seen oatmealqueen work.
mick
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 54
Thumbs up

Well, it has been empty at Camp for a couple of years. Its actually kind of nice if you don't depend upon the camp for a livelihood. By the way, I am registered for the Tournament Challenge as Michigan Stripes1950. I predict Florida all way!!!
__________________
Stripes1950
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Gingerich
Reply to Mick. Yes, I was in the middle of the LP. I live just north of there and try to make to as many playoff games as I can. I did not qualify for playoffs this year but hope to next year again. Should be lots of games available to get qualified. Are you a troll?
Bob,
Ex-troll raised in Fenton and went U.P. north.
My profile is U.P. to date. Houghton.

Oatmealqueen isn't far from you, though. You may even know her.

mick
[email protected]


Yes, I do know Bob.
__________________
omq -- "May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 03:16pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Yes, I do know Bob.
very cool.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1