LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 09:07pm
Back from the DL

Block/charge video

It speaks for itself.

Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Joey Crawford's grandson????

That was a PC all day and hopping up and down like that doesn't change it.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

This can't be for real. The trail is definitely an actor from the comedy channel.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

From that camera angle, I have PC.

And from how I was taught, T has primary whistle on that play (although he should quit going to Joey C.'s camps) I think L has a much better look at it though

Last edited by rekent; Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 10:07pm.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

They should at least do the correct thing and go with the blarge.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Easy PC.

I don't really remember how this is taught in two person but the L had the defender all the way and was making the correct call.

Its pretty obvious the T never picked up the defender, is looking through at least two bodies, and just flat out missed it.

As for the jumping up and down mechanic complete with the scoring of the basket......as the fan in the video says, "That's TERRIBLE!!!"
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 09:48pm
NFHS Official

PC. I think that is the leads, even though it is in transition it is coming right at the lead. Sure looks like they had a barge.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 09:53pm
AremRed

I love how the Trail slides to the right and does the block motion when reporting the foul, essentially saying "I saw a better angle than you, the defender slid underneath, which makes this call a block". How arrogant.

Kudos to the Lead, I would be flipping my ish if my P had the audacity to 1) not trust me to make the call, and 2) make the wrong call. Lead handled it well.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
I love how the Trail slides to the right and does the block motion when reporting the foul, essentially saying "I saw a better angle than you, the defender slid underneath, which makes this call a block". How arrogant.

Kudos to the Lead, I would be flipping my ish if my P had the audacity to 1) not trust me to make the call, and 2) make the wrong call. Lead handled it well.
I doubt he was doing that to tell his partner he had a better angle or to be arrogant. I think, more than likely, he's just trying to sell a really close call. To me, the only thing that was over the top is the jumping with the signal. The only thing I'll say is if you're going to make a display like that, you damn sure better get the call right (of which I have a charge).

Should the trail have let the lead get first crack at this play? Definitely...is it worth losing your cool over? Hell no...especially if it isn't a regular thing. I do agree that the lead did a good job of holding off on his signal..
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:10pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I doubt he was doing that to tell his partner he had a better angle or to be arrogant. I think, more than likely, he's just trying to sell a really close call. To me, the only thing that was over the top is the jumping with the signal. The only thing I'll say is if you're going to make a display like that, you damn sure better get the call right (of which I have a charge).

Should the trail have let the lead get first crack at this play? Definitely...is it worth losing your cool over? Hell no...especially if it isn't a regular thing. I do agree that the lead did a good job of holding off on his signal..
This was posted elsewhere along with another video with this same official. The T seems to make a habit of this kind of show from long distance. Wasn't his call from way back there as the L had a great look and the correct call. The L posted that he only gave it up because of that guy's theatrics.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

I have a PC al the way. Like others have said, I don't like that block mechanic either!
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:15pm
AremRed

Quote:
I doubt he was doing that to tell his partner he had a better angle or to be arrogant.
Did I say partner? I was meaning the crowd and the coaches. The thing is, there was no slide by the defender. The Trail demonstrating a slide was a fabrication. It's something that clearly did not happen, but the Trail used it to sell the call. That's what I think is "arrogant" -- to demonstrate something happening that clearly did not happen.

Quote:
I think, more than likely, he's just trying to sell a really close call.
The only person claiming that is a "really close call" is the Trail in this very video. I have a PC foul, you have a PC foul, others in this thread have an "easy PC" foul. What he is trying to sell, is a wrong call. Which in this case he needs to demonstrate a slide which did not happen.

Quote:
When I say I would be flipping my ish, I mean internally. I would of course back up my partner, but would hope that I would not have to point out his error, but would have someone more senior do that. In a close game, this call could have an impact on the outcome, which could have been avoided if the Trail trusted his P to make the correct call.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
This was posted elsewhere along with another video with this same official. The T seems to make a habit of this kind of show from long distance. Wasn't his call from way back there as the L had a great look and the correct call. The L posted that he only gave it up because of that guy's theatrics.
I saw the other play as well and also saw the lead's response to the play...again, I'm going to assume he's not being arrogant in his signals...he's just trying to sell, what in his mind, is a close call (which really wasn't that close from the angle provided). Should he tone it down a bit? Sure...but I'd be more concerned with the timing of his whistle...he should recognize that this is a secondary defender and his cadence on his whistle has to be a lot later if he has a whistle.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
Did I say partner? I was meaning the crowd and the coaches. The thing is, there was no slide by the defender. The Trail demonstrating a slide was a fabrication. It's something that clearly did not happen, but the Trail used it to sell the call. That's what I think is "arrogant" -- to demonstrate something happening that clearly did not happen.

The only person claiming that is a "really close call" is the Trail in this very video. I have a PC foul, you have a PC foul, others in this thread have an "easy PC" foul. What he is trying to sell, is a wrong call. Which in this case he needs to demonstrate a slide which did not happen.

When I say I would be flipping my ish, I mean internally. I would of course back up my partner, but would hope that I would not have to point out his error, but would have someone more senior do that. In a close game, this call could have an impact on the outcome, which could have been avoided if the Trail trusted his P to make the correct call.
I'm not going to lambast the official if that what's he really thought he saw...it happens to everyone. Sometimes you see something that you honestly thought happen, and just didn't plain happen. I've seen D-I and NBA official call trips that didn't happen at all...and sell it to everyone in attendance....it's not different (strictly speaking signalling here). If he really thought he saw the defender slide in late, then I have no problem with trying to show that in his signaling (though he should tone it down a bit)...and I wouldn't call it arrogant.

Second part, I say it's a really close play in the mind of the trail. In his mind, he has a really close block/charge play...saw something subtle...and felt he had to sell it. Of course, it doesn't help, upon replay, that he got the play wrong. And his mechanics were off as well as far as who should have first crack at this play.

Finally, I'm still not going to flip on a call like this...internally or externally. I feel like this call isn't flip your sh** worthy. It would just be something I'd discuss with my partner after the game.

Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I'm not going to lambast the official if that what's he really thought he saw...it happens to everyone. Sometimes you see something that you honestly thought happen, and just didn't plain happen. I've seen D-I and NBA official call trips that didn't happen at all...and sell it to everyone in attendance....it's not different (strictly speaking signalling here). If he really thought he saw the defender slide in late, then I have no problem with trying to show that in his signaling (though he should tone it down a bit)...and I wouldn't call it arrogant.

Second part, I say it's a really close play in the mind of the trail. In his mind, he has a really close block/charge play...saw something subtle...and felt he had to sell it. Of course, it doesn't help, upon replay, that he got the play wrong. And his mechanics were off as well as far as who should have first crack at this play.

Finally, I'm still not going to flip on a call like this...internally or externally. I feel like this call isn't flip your sh** worthy. It would just be something I'd discuss with my partner after the game.
Exactly.

Until you can say you've never reached on a call in your life, there's no reason to get pissed on one single call like this. Although I can't imagine even putting a whistle on this unless it's a cadence whistle used only because the L had a complete brain fart.