The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

The Arbiter sends out an automatic message to the entire crew for an upcoming game.

I simply forward it to my partners, with a brief note about how much "I'm looking forward to working the game with them", where to meet if we are driving together (and what time to meet), and clarify what color shirts we will wear (stripes or gray...even though I bring both colored shirts).

P.S. We almost always were the black and white stripes for regular season games.

If I do not get a reply...then I will make a phone call.
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 01:17am.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Some people think grown men shouldn't contact each other to confirm game details.
Shouldn't have to. But because every adult is not adult enough for this, those who are adult enough have to.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 11:01am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Shouldn't have to. But because every adult is not adult enough for this, those who are adult enough have to.
I just don't see why some folks have a problem with touching base with your partner(s) before a game.

Folks have no problem going into Arbiter (or whichever system) and accepting games. They have no problem emailing their assignors looking for games. They have no problem signing on here to complain about partners. But to email/text a partner to confirm all the information is correct, that's way too much trouble. I just don't get it.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I just don't see why some folks have a problem with touching base with your partner(s) before a game.

Folks have no problem going into Arbiter (or whichever system) and accepting games. They have no problem emailing their assignors looking for games. They have no problem signing on here to complain about partners. But to email/text a partner to confirm all the information is correct, that's way too much trouble. I just don't get it.
I don't have a problem with it. I just think it's silly that we have to - solely because we have irresponsible folks out there who either forget or don't bother to tell anyone else when they can't make it ... or didn't check their schedule, or whatever.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I don't have a problem with it. I just think it's silly that we have to - solely because we have irresponsible folks out there who either forget or don't bother to tell anyone else when they can't make it ... or didn't check their schedule, or whatever.
I don't think it's silly or just because of irresponsible folks.

We're all human, things happen, people make mistakes, forget things.

We have a policy to contact partners at least 48 hours prior to tip-off and if no response by 9am of gameday we are to contact our assignor.

I learned my lesson two seasons ago. It was one of my first games as R and I sent out the email to confirm. I got a response from one partner but not the other. I didnt really think anything of it, figured the guy just was busy, and assumed he would show up for the game.

30 minutes prior to the schedule tip, the guy hasnt shown up yet or responded to a voicemail I left. I call assignor who says, "that's my mistake, he turned the game back last week and I forgot to replace him in Arbiter." We ended up using one of the JV officials in what turned out to be their first ever V game.

It worked out ok but the whole situation could have been handled better had I followed protocol. Now I do it every time.

It's not silly at all but a rather simple way to keep everyone on the same page and avoid mishaps that can happen to all of us.