The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation New ref flying solo-help!

My first thread was inadvertantly deleted so I'll try again for some assistance.
This is my first year refereeing, I've worked four matches, one as up ref.
Tomorrow I'm scheduled to do a JV or MS (can't tell from the schedule which) match solo, with no follow on game so no one else will be coming or watching.
Anyone have any tips for how I should handle subs and talk to the scorekeepers? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

If there is a referee's stand, try to get it placed on the same side of the court as the score table and benches.

You are going to have to do everything, so it is more convienent to be on the same side of the court.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Well that's good to know, didn't even know I could do that, thanks!
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 08:41pm
In Memoriam

C'mon Folks....

I wrote to bpowlen to apologize for inadvertently deleting her post.
[I had answered with one-whistle basketball mechanics, and then proceeded to screw up some more.]

Please give her some solo mechanics help.
You folks could write a book !
Thanks.
mick
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

During pre-game, I usually tell the coaches and captains that I will do the best I can but I am solo today. Most of the coaches understand. Make sure you have your lineup card and have the teams or the correct side of your lineup card or it will make for a long match. I suggest that you make sure to watch the net for any flaggerant violations and then do the best you can on the lines. Make the best call you can on the lines. If you are 100% sure you don't know, do a replay. If you are pretty sure you know if it was in or out, make the call. Otherwise you will be there all night doing replays because you will not be able to see the net and the lines all the time.

Good luck!!!
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

In my area MS matches are usaully DH's, so I get eihter the A team to provide LJ's during the B team match and vice versa. Find out from home management if line Judges will be provided and let them know what you expect of them. If it's MS then I call a lot pretty loose anyways but expect them to learn proper court protocal, and things that are not things that will develop with practice (I let a lot of baby lifts and things of that nature go). When soloing I keep a line up card but not like when I'm the U. Truthfullly I almost like flying solo for a MS match better than having a partner. I've soloed Frosh and JV matches when my partner has been a no show or something but it's a little more difficult. If you miss a small net violation away from the ball it's usually understood. If the table crew knows what they're doing they can be a big help. I wish you knew more or provided more information (level, size of school, any special rules (providing it's MS), expierence of table). Good Luck!!
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

I received more info this morning. It is a Middle school match (small private Christian school), but I've never been there to know what the set up is like.
I've never been to a game at the small private schools where they have provided line judges, but I'll ask.
Sorry for my stupidity, but what is a DH? if that's double header, then no, it's not. The Frosh, JV and Var are playing at the HS, which is why I'm doing this alone, my Var partner usually helps me out, but he's got his own solos with the Frosh and JV at the same time.
Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully there won't be a lot of dumb looks between me and the scorekeeper!
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

1.First, pray that you have a competent score keeper. Remind the person operating the visual scoring device not to put the point up until you signal it. Glance at the visual score displayed after every point to make sure the point went to the right team.
2.At every time out you need to get down off the stand & go check the score sheet - ditto between games.
3.Keep a line up card with you on the stand & record subs. Even though it's no longer required, tracking the server can be helpful to you.
4. During play stick to the basics. This is MS, not HS varsity, so you'll need to adjust your ball handling call thresholds accordingly. Call the obvious (clearly illegal hits, 4 hits, 2 hits on multiple attempts to play the ball, etc.), but give them more leeway on things like overhead passes and setting - tough skills to master & at this age they're still learning. Consistency is more important than how tightly you call the match. Be ready to adjust your thresholds if necessary - if every other point is a judgement ball handling call (other than the clearly gross stuff) you might need to adjust them down a little.
5.Lastly, take your time. If it takes a few more seconds so you can accurately record the subs on your line up card, so be it. It's always better to take the time needed to get it right the first time than to have to go back and fix something.

Most importantly, have fun! If you're positive, upbeat & clearly enjoying yourself, it will rub off on the girls and they'll have more fun too! Good luck with your matches!

Last edited by TimTaylor; Tue Oct 02, 2007 at 08:45am.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

So how did it go? Inquiring minds want to know?