The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Flying Solo! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93833-flying-solo.html)

The_Rookie Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:23pm

Flying Solo!

First time in a HS game that my partner did not show up!...He ends up going to the wrong school.:eek:

So, Boys Freshman game and I am flying solo...My luck game goes into OT!!

I ended up calling about 25 fouls in the game.

Here is the kicker: The parents from losing team come up to me after the game and shake my hand and thank me for my hard work and one parent said you were better than some 2 man Crews!!!

Nice to be appreciated:)

Triad zebra Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:30pm

Good Job!!! Did you ask the players to be on the honor system on calling the lines opposite of where you were?

APG Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:32pm

Did y'all contact each other before the game? Here, the R is required to get in contact with his partner(s) 48 hours before the game...heck I'll even do it even if I'm not the R.

The_Rookie Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triad zebra (Post 876465)
Good Job!!! Did you ask the players to be on the honor system on calling the lines opposite of where you were?

I met with all the starting players from both teams in center circle before tip and apologized for my partner not being there and flying solo. Told them that sportsmanship is even more important today with just me calling the game.

The_Rookie Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 876467)
Did y'all contact each other before the game? Here, the R is required to get in contact with his partner(s) 48 hours before the game...heck I'll even do it even if I'm not the R.

He was the R on the game. No contact. tried calling him 30 minutes before tip but he had his cell off:)

BTW, AD gave me both checks:)

APG Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 876470)
He was the R on the game. No contact. tried calling him 30 minutes before tip but he had his cell off:)

Like I mentioned...if the R isn't timely in contacting me, then I'm putting the wheels in motion...e-mail and a phone call. Hopefully it helps avoid situations like yours.

Adam Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 876470)

Here, the entire crew can pay fines if you don't make contact and a partner doesn't show. I email three days ahead, and if I don't have a response by the day before, I call. By game day, if we haven't heard back, the assignor gets a phone call (his directive).

Raymond Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 876472)
Here, the entire crew can pay fines if you don't make contact and a partner doesn't show. I email three days ahead, and if I don't have a response by the day before, I call. By game day, if we haven't heard back, the assignor gets a phone call (his directive).

Some people think grown men shouldn't contact each other to confirm game details.

Camron Rust Sat Feb 02, 2013 03:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 876476)
Some people think grown men shouldn't contact each other to confirm game details.

Some people jump off cliffs too but that doesn't make it advisable.

JRutledge Sat Feb 02, 2013 03:43am

Quote:

LOL!!! :):)

Peace

Mark Padgett Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 876464)
My luck game goes into OT!!

Luck had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

Adam Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:29am

Quote:

Some people would be wrong, IMO. I've circumvented a couple errors by contacting partners ahead of time. Here, there are a lot of high schools with similar names, and it's easy to get confused on a given day. It happens less in the age of smart phones, but still. Not to mention the possibility of showing up at the visiting school.

Welpe Sun Feb 03, 2013 03:57pm

I learned my lesson when I worked one and a half games by myself after my partner went to thr visiting team's school. I now send an email as a matter of course a few days before the game. Contacting each other before subvarsity games isn't the norm around here though.

BillyMac Sun Feb 03, 2013 05:18pm

Game Confirmations ...

I always email a confirmation (below) to the site's athletic director, and a copy to my partner. I do this every Sunday, for all my upcoming games that week. Why? Because if there's a screwup, created by me, my partner, the school, my assignment commissioner, or Arbiter, the first question my assignment commissioner will ask me is , "Did you confirm your game". I will always be able to answer, "Yes", to that first question. After that, it's gonna be a crap shot, but at least I'll be off to a good start in that conversation.

Basketball Official Confirmation

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5259/5...e071a75e_m.jpg

February 3, 2013

BillyMac
100 Main Street
Little Corner, CT 06000
Home Phone (000) 000-0000
Cell Phone (000) 000-0000 (No Signal During Business Hours)
Email: [email protected]

Environmental Chemical Analyst
Acme Environmental Laboratories, Inc.
200 Roadrunner Street
Transylvania, CT 06000
Business Phone (000) 000-0000 (Ask For BillyMac)

This is to confirm that I will officiate the boys varsity basketball game at East OshKosh High School
on Wednesday, February 6, 2013, at 7:00 p.m.

Please contact me if there is any change in the schedule. My contact information is above.
During weekday business hours, it is best to reach me at (000) 000-0000. I do not have access
to the internet, nor to email, nor do I get a cell phone signal, at work.

Sincerely,

BillyMac
International Association of Approved Basketball Officials
Connecticut Board #0

Stat-Man Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:55pm

When I learned our association doesn't require confirmation (but suggests it as a good idea), I decided to use a template similar to BillyMac's.

I've only had one partner reply back to me, although some others will mention that they got my e-mail when we are talking before the game.

Being a new official, quite a few schools/districts reply back to ask for W9 information or to confirm my arbiter information so they can properly pay me.