The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

flying solo and loving it

Had a no show this week. Two gyms. One had two 9th grade games. Mine was 10th and JV. Had to decide about taking one of inexperienced refs from other gym and leaving one behind or taking the JV alone. Took the latter. First game was a lot of running but easy to call. Home wins by 20. JV game is tight the whole way and ended up going into overtime. It was a great game and had a little of everything in it. Worked my butt off. In the end home wins by 3.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 05:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Hoped you worked from FT line to FT line and no further. I've worked tons of games solo and that's what I do. Although I do switch sides, I try to work most of the game on the side away from the coaches. It makes for a much more pleasant experience.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian
Worked my butt off.
Don't worry, They grow back. Sometimes even bigger than before.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:01pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor
Don't worry, They grow back. Sometimes even bigger than before.
Don't go near any starfish afterwards, though.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Hoped you worked from FT line to FT line and no further. I've worked tons of games solo and that's what I do. Although I do switch sides, I try to work most of the game on the side away from the coaches. It makes for a much more pleasant experience.
Luckily I havent had to do this in a few years. And then only one occasion but in back to backs (tired!). My partner showed up at half of the second game. Nice.

Strangely, we had just discussed how to handle solo officiating at an offical's meeting a week or so before it happened to me. A senior official was explaining that there are two schools of thought on this. One, as you said, work most of the game away from the coaches FT to FT. Two, work as much as possible on teh same side as the coaches so you see what they see.

So I tried them both out. I think I actually prefered being on the coaches side. But I've only done it once each way. I guess I can see the logic in both approaches. Had I had coaches who were less cool than the ones I had I probably would have worked away from them but these coaches were both (surprisingly) cool about it.

I was wondering why you fall clearly in the "work away" camp, if you dont mind spelling out your philosophy for me on this. It hasnt happened to me in a few years so I havent had to think about it in a long time.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 04:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I've worked tons of games solo and that's what I do.
Are people that unwilling to work with you, Mark?
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 02:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaref
I was wondering why you fall clearly in the "work away" camp, if you dont mind spelling out your philosophy for me on this.
It's been my experience that coaches seem to think they can influence you more if you're working alone, especially if they have you within easy earshot. I stay away from them mostly because if I didn't, my arm would get tired from calling so many Ts.

As for the theory of working their side so you see what they see, I think the truth is they "see" whatever they want to see, whether that's what really happened or not. Remember - when working alone, you are the only person in the gym who doesn't care who wins the game. It can get lonely out there.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 02:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
Are people that unwilling to work with you, Mark?
Gotta give credit where credit is due. That was a good one, Don.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:12pm
Ch1town

The few times I had to fly solo (JV & below) , I always worked FT to FT opposite the table 1/3 into the floor when applicable.

Reasoning: I'd rather have my 2 or 3 "unbiased" table officials help me with their sideline than the very biased parents screaming "he stepped on the line ref, what are you looking at".
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

I work away as well. I've only had to do a handful of games on my own. But I've got enough to worry about that I don't want to waste cycles worrying about interacting with coaches. It's also easier to see subs when you're working away (admittedly a minor issue compared to everything else, but I'll take my plusses where I can get them).

I had a pair of HS age boys rec games on Friday. My partner didn't show until about midway through the first half. I worked away. Honestly, the game was going better when I was working it alone.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:31pm
Aleve Titles to Others

One of the most difficult things is chopping time when the toss occurs at the start of the game. Or in Mark's case since he does so many solo games, the start of the game AND each OT period.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

I've gotten to where I kind of like working alone. I move from ~ 28 foot line back and forth, away from the table, and I don't really hear much from the coaches. The games go faster, as well.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 05:58pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I've gotten to where I kind of like working alone. I move from ~ 28 foot line back and forth, away from the table, and I don't really hear much from the coaches. The games go faster, as well.
And not many double whistles, either.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 06:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Or in Mark's case since he does so many solo games, the start of the game AND each OT period.
Please don't use my name and any reference to overtime in the same sentence. I just ate. Thanks.