The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

This weekend saw more helmets flying than ever.

In a varsity game, a player who must have missed a block and found everyone twenty yards ahead of him as his opponent scored a touchdown, throw his helmet in disgust to the ground.

I penalized him for unsportsmanlike conduct. Should he have been disqualified?

A youth game found the starting time was filled with a sky of lightning. Delayed the start for 40 minutes being sure the lightning had cleared. Almost immediately following the coin toss thunder was heard of which one of the "meteorologist" (better know as Dad) yells, "It's only thunder! (Doesn't thunder accompany lightning?)

Then a flash of lightning, I told everyone to abandon the area. The visting players became visibly upset and, you guessed it, threw their helmets.

No penalty, just a report to the commissioner.

Finally, rough Sunday youth game, player blocking on pass play once the pass had left the area decides to swing at the back of his opposing number. When told he was out of the game he yelled back at me and was finally restrained by teammates and went to the bench where "he threw his helmet." Player was disqualified following the personal foul.

Is this a new fad based upon those pesky cameras watching the millionaires of the NFL?

What penalties do you prescribe for this new display of emotion?
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Kyle Turley was the last NFLer I saw toss a helmet (not even his own) so I'm not sure we can lay this at the NFL's feet, although sportsmanship isn't exactly the hallmark of that league.

I would have to say the the number of dicks in sports is on the rise. No real formal research being done in that area, though. Can't give you concrete numbers.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't treat it any differently than if he was doing the same thing with the ball. I would not throw a player out for spiking the ball once. They have to do something worse or twice for me to throw them out.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
Kyle Turley was the last NFLer I saw toss a helmet (not even his own) so I'm not sure we can lay this at the NFL's feet, although sportsmanship isn't exactly the hallmark of that league.
A falcons player slammed an eagles helmet down in the pregame warm ups. Does that count?
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

I've yet to toss an USC on any player, although there have been times I could have, it just didn't seem right. Case in point...

A long TD run or TD pass to tie or just get ahead of the opponent which leads into a quick celebration. By rule this isn't allowed. But being a wing I'll usually move towards the player with the ball and holler "Ball!!! Take it off the field!!!". This has always been enough to get their attention and they settle down and run off the field.

I did see a NCAA game this weekend, forget which one, where a runner made the LTG, got up and simply "pointed" towards the EZ indicating first down. Nothing fancy or exagerated, just pointing. He got an USC. Dang! Linebackers whooping and hollering after a sack get away with it, but just a finger point?

WM
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
A falcons player slammed an eagles helmet down in the pregame warm ups. Does that count?
Only if his head was still in it!

WM
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
I observed that as well, about 4 times on Sportscenter. That's who we have to thank for it. I love you DP and SS.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

WyMike,

Check out the NCAA site and you will see why that was called this year.
Old Tue Sep 20, 2005, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
I did see a NCAA game this weekend, forget which one, where a runner made the LTG, got up and simply "pointed" towards the EZ indicating first down. Nothing fancy or exagerated, just pointing. He got an USC. Dang! Linebackers whooping and hollering after a sack get away with it, but just a finger point?
Just a finger point? No. But, in the "kids do the darndest things" department, I called a USC on a Pop Warner player (maybe 10 years old). Offense attempts to run a play on 2, one of their lineman and a defensive tackle both move. I've got a false start on the offense. DT stands up, points at the o-lineman, and goes "HA! HA! HA!" at the top of his lungs.

It was almost comical, but it still cost his team 15 yards.