The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 08:15am
Lighten up, Francis.

Flying solo

I just got assigned to do the Freshman match by myself, prior to working the JV/V doubleheader with a partner.

I'm curious about handling the protocols before each set. Do I come down off the stand to check the lineups before the set? Anything in particular that I need to be aware of working by myself?
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Once A Week

I have to do the solo Frosh thingie about once a week.

I ,personally, come down off the stand to check line ups. It also allows me to just make sure my tables not going sideways on me.

For subs nothing happens until I get a big thumbs up from the scorekeeper. I make sure my SK is happy. In these solo matches they can be a deal maker or breaker. I give them extra time and attention before the match, and knock on wood, this year they have all come through flying high....
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Handle everything from the stand. I come down between sets to check with the table, but I've seen guys stand up there for the whole match.
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
It might be easier in thie situation to have the stand on the side of the scorer's table, to handle subs quicker, and for easier communication with the scorer if need be.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Had a JuCo tourney a couple of weeks where R2 didn't show up. I, as SK, "handled" the R2 duties of checking the line-ups, doing all the subs, helping with TO requests, indicating set point (especially since the scoreboard was behind R1), etc.

If you trust your SK, that can work well.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Some good advice here.

I especially agree with Felix's suggestion to move the stand to the side of the benches and scorer's table. That will really help your communication with the SK and the benches.

I would also come down off of the stand to check the lineups in pregame.

During play, you need to be aware of the net play becuase you won't have that backup of an R2 to watch the net. As the ball crosses the net, and if there are players close to the net, you might want to hesitate with your eyes just a second at the net before you go back to the ball, It's against your instinct as R1 to follow the ball, but it will help you catch any net violations.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I don't do very many solo matches (maybe one a year), but I'll tell you what I've found to be useful.

Make sure you have a good pregame with the SK. Let them know that you will be waiting for a signal (I use a thumbs up like Chess Ref) before authorizing subs to enter the game. I will advise them that if I am asked for a lineup check that I will be going straight to them for help on the next 3 servers. Make sure they know you will be looking for verification for set point. Let them know that the coaches need to be informed of their 15th, 16th, 17th, and 18th substitutions. Let them know that if they have any questions or concerns during the match that they should inform you immediately.

Let the line judges know you will be relying on their assistance and that they need to be ready with a call at all times.

Like the others have advised, I check the lineups prior to going up the stand. I have found it helpful to also come off the stand during timeouts so that I can verify the score, subs, and timeouts with the SK. Better to take care of discrepancies/errors before the end of the set. If the stand is on the same side as the table you can probably accomplish this from the stand.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

I've only worked a couple of solo HS matches, but they were freshman. The pace and skill of play will work to your advantage.

Hopefully by this point in the season they've got all the libero and sub kinks worked out. But without an R2, just keep an eye peeled by the benches between points.

Also, when working solo in any sport, I've found it helpful to be very strict on the little things, in this case like making subs wait every time for the SK's thumbs up, and end of set protocol.

It sends the message that you're watching everything and there will be no shortcuts or shenanigans today. But I'm sure you know that