The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

team fouls

Had a complete newby pulled out of the crowd to run the clock in last night's middle school game. To simplify his duties, team fouls were not required to be displayed on the scoreboard. It was kind of nice too, as at one point fouls were 10-1 against the team of a nasty, whiney, troll of a coach who lacked even basic coaching skills. Troll-coach was not constantly reminded of the foul-count by a scoreboard display, nor were his team's fans, so they were essentially disarmed on this point though the coach had access to the scorebook info.

To my question: We all know coaches use the foul count to attempt to put pressure on officials to even the count, to prove we are cheating, to incite the crowd, etc. Most of us could not give a rat's hind parts what the foul-count is. But it made me wonder if any of you have ever had a game where you instructed the table to NOT display the foul totals, or even during a game to quit displaying them. Yeah, I'm bored.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
Had a complete newby pulled out of the crowd to run the clock in last night's middle school game. To simplify his duties, team fouls were not required to be displayed on the scoreboard. It was kind of nice too, as at one point fouls were 10-1 against the team of a nasty, whiney, troll of a coach who lacked even basic coaching skills. Troll-coach was not constantly reminded of the foul-count by a scoreboard display, nor were his team's fans, so they were essentially disarmed on this point though the coach had access to the scorebook info.

To my question: We all know coaches use the foul count to attempt to put pressure on officials to even the count, to prove we are cheating, to incite the crowd, etc. Most of us could not give a rat's hind parts what the foul-count is. But it made me wonder if any of you have ever had a game where you instructed the table to NOT display the foul totals, or even during a game to quit displaying them. Yeah, I'm bored.
I remember having to tell a scoreboard operator that the count stops at 10. At the time I went over to talk to him, the board read 11-2.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:26am
certified Hot Mom tester

If you "call it both ways" you won't have this problem.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
If you "call it both ways" you won't have this problem.
I love hearing this one... especially when the team whining for calls and wanting an even foul count is a jump shooting team that makes 1 or 2 passes and launches the ball from NBA 3pt range, while the team getting more calls is running a real half-court set, driving the ball, and working for rebounds.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
I love hearing this one... especially when the team whining for calls and wanting an even foul count is a jump shooting team that makes 1 or 2 passes and launches the ball from NBA 3pt range, while the team getting more calls is running a real half-court set, driving the ball, and working for rebounds.
I love hearing it on the very first foul.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Or

hearing "Call it both ways" when the team fouls are 5-5
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I love hearing it on the very first foul.
Ha! Yep, I had that happen last year. Home team committed the first 6 fouls of the game, none yet on visitors. The very first foul on visitors, only about 10 mins into the game, and there it is from the head coach: "CALL IT BOTH WAYS".

I wouldn't say it, but I really wanted to say "well, we're finally starting to".
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes2255 View Post
hearing "Call it both ways" when the team fouls are 5-5

Even better...when the count is in their favor. Happens a few times a year. Heck I had a coach still moaning about fouls when the other team was down to 3 players from foul outs in a 60+ foul count game.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post

No, I want the team foul count displayed...helps me keep track of how close to the bonus we are. No I won't tell the scoreboard operator to turn off team fouls...just remind them that there's no need to keep count on the board once we've reached 10.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

It is really funny when the team yelling this has a foul advantage. That statement is really funny then.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
No, I want the team foul count displayed...helps me keep track of how close to the bonus we are. No I won't tell the scoreboard operator to turn off team fouls...just remind them that there's no need to keep count on the board once we've reached 10.
+1

I did, however. tell a freshman coach this year, "that's the last time you mention the foul count."