The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

0 and 00 on the roster

Have been having this running discussion with a pretty rules astute guy (nothing like you guys on this forum) about a team having both 0 and 00 on the roster.

His position is: If you discover this situation at the 12 minutes mark of the pre-game warmup then you can change it without penalty. Pretty straight forward. But, what if the coach does not want to make a change AND wants both to be on the roster? He thinks this becomes a technical foul at the 9:59 mark?

I've read in the interps posted by Nevada and it is very specific if the sitaution is discovered at the 8 minutes mark and even after the game has started. No penalty if the second player doesn't participate. Correct? But, the interp doesn't address my question:

1. Is there a penalty to even have them both on the roster and we have discovered the situation before the 10 minutes mark of the pregame warmup?
2. Forget about 0 and 00, same question for any other illegal number -can it be on the roster without penalty?
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 11:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

From An Article That I Never Published ...

Technical fouls for illegal uniforms (including illegal numbers) are not charged to the team, but are charged directly to the head coach. If a team member participates as a player while wearing an illegal uniform, then a direct technical foul is charged to the head coach, who will lose the coaching box privilege for the remainder of the game. This infraction is penalized when discovered, and the team member with the illegal uniform may participate without further penalty and is not required to change the number. A maximum of one technical foul shall be charged directly to the head coach regardless of the number of offenders.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Technical fouls for illegal uniforms (including illegal numbers) are not charged to the team, but are charged directly to the head coach. If a team member participates as a player while wearing an illegal uniform, then a direct technical foul is charged to the head coach, who will lose the coaching box privilege for the remainder of the game. This infraction is penalized when discovered, and the team member with the illegal uniform may participate without further penalty and is not required to change the number. A maximum of one technical foul shall be charged directly to the head coach regardless of the number of offenders.
Billy,

So, no penalty for having both on the roster?
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

2008-09 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 2: A team has members with No. 0 and No. 00 listed in the scorebook and it is discovered (a) with 14 minutes on the clock prior to the game, (b) with 8 minutes on the clock prior to the game or (c) after the game starts. RULING: In (a), changes can be made without penalty. In (b), if a number is changed in the scorebook, a team technical is charged. The offended team is awarded two free throws and a throw-in at the division line to begin the game. The arrow is toward the offending team. If no changes are made to the scorebook, no infraction has occurred. In (c), after the game starts, there is no infraction if only one of the team members (No. 0 or No. 00) participates. If the second team member wishes to participate, the result is an illegal number when "discovered." The penalty is a direct technical foul on the head coach for an illegal uniform. Two free throws and a division line throw-in for the offended team and loss of coaching box privileges for the offending coach. The second team member (with the illegal uniform number) may participate without further penalty and is NOT required to change his/her number. Another possibility exists after the game starts when one of the team members wants to change his/her number prior to participating. The result is a team technical foul (no loss of coaching box) for changing the scorebook. COMMENT: No team should have both No. 0 and No. 00 on its regular roster. The infraction is likely due to bringing a player up or down a level. Therefore, it is possible the team has access to other legal uniforms to replace a uniform with an illegal number. (3-4-3d; 10-1-2; 10-5-4)
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
1. Is there a penalty to even have them both on the roster and we have discovered the situation before the 10 minutes mark of the pregame warmup?
There's never (?) a penalty to discover and correct prior to the 10-minute mark.

Quote:
2. Forget about 0 and 00, same question for any other illegal number -can it be on the roster without penalty?
First, 0 and 00 are not illegal numbers. Second, see 3.4.3B (last year's book, just in case the specific reference has changed)
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 11:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Just My Opinion ...

Quote:
So, no penalty for having both on the roster?
Only if they play, and a maximum of one technical foul charged to the head coach if both play.

(Later Edit: If 0 and 00 are considered illegal, it considered identical, see below)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 11:55am.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 11:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Mickey Mantle ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
3.4.3B
*3.4.3 SITUATION B: A7 reports to the official scorer to enter the game wearing
a jersey with the No. 7, which is the number listed in the scorebook. A7 (a)
enters the game and participates; (b) changes into a legal jersey and enters the
game later; or (c) goes back to the bench and never enters the game. RULING: In
(a), a direct technical foul is charged to the Team A head coach for the illegal uniform.
Team B is awarded two free throws and a division-line throw-in, and the
Team A head coach loses his/her coaching-box privileges. In (b), a number must
be changed in the scorebook. Therefore, Team A is assessed a team technical foul
when the change occurs, but the coach does not lose his/her coaching-box privileges.
In (c), no penalty is assessed when the player never enters the game and
the scorebook is unaltered. (10-1-2c; 10-5-4)

Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 11:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

Inquiring Minds Want to Know ???

Quote:
0 and 00 are not illegal numbers.
NFHS 3-4: Each team member shall be numbered on the front and back of the team
jersey with plain Arabic numerals. The following numbers are legal: 0, 1, 2,
3, 4, 5, 00, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 30, 31, 32, 33,
34, 35, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55. A team member list
shall not have both numbers 0 and 00.

0 and 00? Illegal, or identical?

Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 11:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

Identical Numbers ...

If a team has identical numbers on team members, and/or players, after the ten minute time limit, then a team technical foul is charged. This infraction is charged and penalized upon discovery of identical numbers. Only one team member may wear a given number; the other must change to a number not already in use before participating.

Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
NFHS 3-4: Each team member shall be numbered on the front and back of the team
jersey with plain Arabic numerals. The following numbers are legal: 0, 1, 2,
3, 4, 5, 00, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 30, 31, 32, 33,
34, 35, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55. A team member list
shall not have both numbers 0 and 00.

0 and 00? Illegal, or identical?
Neither (to have on the roster), or if only one plays.

Illegal (if they both play).
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=bob jenkins;874527]There's never (?) a penalty to discover and correct prior to the 10-minute mark.

Bob,

I think what I meant to ask: If you discover before the 10 minutes mark and bring it to Coach's attention, is there a penalty if the coach wants both to remain on the roster?
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=ronny mulkey;874536]
Quote:
There's never (?) a penalty to discover and correct prior to the 10-minute mark.

Bob,

I think what I meant to ask: If you discover before the 10 minutes mark and bring it to Coach's attention, is there a penalty if the coach wants both to remain on the roster?
Asked and answered.

There's no penalty to have both on the roster. There's no penalty if only one plays. There is a penalty if (and when) the second one enters the game.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 12:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Treat Both, And Only Both, As An Illegal Number ...

Regarding 0 and 00:

Quote:
There's no penalty to have both on the roster. There's no penalty if only one plays. There is a penalty if (and when) the second one enters the game.
Quote:
Illegal (if they both play).
Penalty:

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 12:46pm.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=bob jenkins;874540]
Quote:

Asked and answered.

Actually, bob, it is illegal to have both 0 and 00 listed on the roster whether they play or not. They are considered to be "identical numbers". See 3-2-2e.

This would be an administrative T as the uniforms themselves are legal but the listing in the book with both legal numbers is not legal.

If either of the players wanted to play, one would need to change and there would be no further penalty as the single administrative T would have already been incurred.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 02:04pm.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 02:14pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

Actually, bob, it is illegal to have both 0 and 00 listed on the roster whether they play or not. They are considered to be "identical numbers". See 3-2-2e.
I don't get this reading 3-2-2e. Does something somewhere else specifically say that 0 and 00 are considered identical numbers?

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 03:55am.