The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

Correct or incorrect. If incorrect is this correctable?

Situation:A1 is shooting the 2nd of two free thr.ows. As a1 receives the balls for the free throw the administering official sees b1s foot across the line separating the marked lane space nearest the free thrower. The official gives the delayed singal as a1 releases the ball. A1s 2nd attempt does not hit the rim and the official gives a1 another attempt at the 2nd free throw.A1 hits the 2nd free throw and play continues with throw in by team B Was the official correct.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 02:33am
We don't rent pigs

This is not correct. The failure of the shooter to hit the rim is also a violation. It should have been an AP situation.

No, this is not correctable, as apparently the free throw violation by the shooter was not recognized/called.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 02:35am.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 02:35am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhi1 View Post
Situation:A1 is shooting the 2nd of two free thr.ows. As a1 receives the balls for the free throw the administering official sees b1s foot across the line separating the marked lane space nearest the free thrower. The official gives the delayed singal as a1 releases the ball. A1s 2nd attempt does not hit the rim and the official gives a1 another attempt at the 2nd free throw.A1 hits the 2nd free throw and play continues with throw in by team B Was the official correct.
In this case, if the airball was recognized as a violation, it is a double violation and would be followed by another FT if there is to be one or AP arrow. The penalty is the same as simultaneous violation because it was on the defense and the shooter.

Last edited by Sharpshooternes; Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 02:38am.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Rulebook reference

Thanks for the info. Can someone please add a rulebook reference and case book situation play if one exist.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Rule: 6.4.3.c

6.4.3 SITUATION A:

B1, in a marked lane space, enters the lane prematurely. The administering official properly signals the violation and A1 attempts the free throw. However, A1's attempt does not enter the basket or touch the ring.

RULING: The violations by B1 and A1 constitute a simultaneous free-throw violation. Unless another free throw follows, play resumes with an alternating-possession throw-in from a designated spot outside the end line.

Last edited by dsqrddgd909; Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 07:25am.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

I'm not convinced that this is the same as missing a travel.

If the officials saw the ball fail to contact the ring, but incorrectly thought that only the first violation should be penalized, then a rule has been set aside with the result being the awarding of an unmerited FT.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 09:18am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I'm not convinced that this is the same as missing a travel.

If the officials saw the ball fail to contact the ring, but incorrectly thought that only the first violation should be penalized, then a rule has been set aside with the result being the awarding of an unmerited FT.

Interesting theory. (And as conspiracy theories go I like it, .) But it is worth exploring.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

As a side note, if I see a player who has a toe touching the line, before I administer the free throw, I'll probably say something like 'watch your toes'.

In my opinion, if you can avoid calling this violation it will help your game.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

This is the dreaded double-violation and the correct procedure is to go to the AP arrow.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
As a side note, if I see a player who has a toe touching the line, before I administer the free throw, I'll probably say something like 'watch your toes'.

In my opinion, if you can avoid calling this violation it will help your game.
Love it. .
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

To answer the question posed by the title of the thread, I say it's a correctable error.

It's the awarding of an unmerited free throw, and you're still within the timeframe to wave it off.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Very helpful comments!

Now I'm curious as to was this correctable also. What would haved helped is if my partner the non administering official would have blown the ball dead when it dId not hit rim. I saw it diidnt but was to focused on th delayed lane violation. And a side note. The coach came out and challenged me about the violation ball missing the rim. My partner was right there. I said and we didn't make the connection. I told him yeah your right but your players foot was across the line. He said okay and walked away. Get this. The coach is also a veteran basketball official. I made a mistake but sold a bad call. They did win by 11. I would have hated to miss this one in a real close game.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
To answer the question posed by the title of the thread, I say it's a correctable error.

It's the awarding of an unmerited free throw, and you're still within the timeframe to wave it off.
Only IF the violation was call but not properly penalized.

Correctable errors do not related to violations/fouls that are uncalled, only ones that are called but are improperly penalized.

Not calling the violation to start with, even it it was seen, is not correctable. If it isn't called, it isn't called. Not correctable.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 01:26pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Only IF the violation was call but not properly penalized.

Correctable errors do not related to violations/fouls that are uncalled, only ones that are called but are improperly penalized.

Not calling the violation to start with, even it it was seen, is not correctable. If it isn't called, it isn't called. Not correctable.
So when can you decide to penalize this violation of ball not hitting the rim? Is this a time where coach says something you when are about to administer the replacement FT which should have been an AP throw in, can you get together and talk about it, change the ruling to what it should be and away we go? Can you as lead provide this information if T isn't paying attention or should L just call it if T misses it?

I think some people see an airball on a first free throw and just say, "no point next FT," when in actuality the whistle should sound and rule that it is a violation, if nothing else to avoid this situation.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 01:53pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
So when can you decide to penalize this violation of ball not hitting the rim? Is this a time where coach says something you when are about to administer the replacement FT which should have been an AP throw in, can you get together and talk about it, change the ruling to what it should be and away we go? Can you as lead provide this information if T isn't paying attention or should L just call it if T misses it?

I think some people see an airball on a first free throw and just say, "no point next FT," when in actuality the whistle should sound and rule that it is a violation, if nothing else to avoid this situation.
If it's obvious to you as lead, if there is no doubt it missed, call it. But worst case scenario is to call this from the lead but, "OOPS! It barely touched the rim."

As far as time, anytime before the ball is made live for the next play, whether it's a throw-in or another free throw, it's okay to get together and sort out the correct ruling.

Lonesome Dove