The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Incorrect Enforcement?

Was watching a HS game on TV last night (playoffs - regional semi finals). I think the crew blew the enforcement.

OT - first possession. 4th down. FG attempt is blocked and unsuccessful. After the play was over, team B gets an excessive celebration penalty.

Here's where the officials goofed. They measured half the distance to the goal and gave team A another shot! (FG was missed again).

Shouldn't this be enforced on the next possession and team B starts out 1st and goal at the 25?
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
Was watching a HS game on TV last night (playoffs - regional semi finals). I think the crew blew the enforcement.

OT - first possession. 4th down. FG attempt is blocked and unsuccessful. After the play was over, team B gets an excessive celebration penalty.

Here's where the officials goofed. They measured half the distance to the goal and gave team A another shot! (FG was missed again).

Shouldn't this be enforced on the next possession and team B starts out 1st and goal at the 25?
With the caveat that some States have ammended the OT procedure to fit their particular needs, it does seem the enforcement was in error.

When the FG attempt was unsuccesful, 4th down for A ended and any subsequent penalty would be a dead ball foul, which calls for enforcement from the succeeding spot, which would be the spot where B would begin their OT series from.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that it was incorrectly enforced based on your description. Once the field goal was no good and the play was over, the ball goes over to the other team. Any dead ball action happens after K had lost the ball on downs.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
I agree that it was incorrectly enforced based on your description. Once the field goal was no good and the play was over, the ball goes over to the other team. Any dead ball action happens after K had lost the ball on downs.
Another question - After enforcement, is it 1st and 10? or 1st and Goal?
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 08:41pm
TODO: creative title here

OT possessions in Fed are always goal-to-go.

NFHS Rulebook, "Resolving Tied games", page 88:
"To start overtime, the offensive team shall put the ball in play, first and goal, on the defensive team's 10-yard line or succeeding spot if a carry-over penalty has been administered, anywhere between the inbounds lines."

One would think that this would apply to the second team's possession as well, but a few paragraphs down:
"After the first team on offense has completed its series of downs, the first team on defense will become the offensive team with the ball in its possession at the 10 yard line anywhere between the inbounds lines"

Strangely, there is no mention of a succeeding spot possibility for the second team on offense.

However, then we have 3.1.1 situation D:
"When the regulation game ends in a tie, the teams use the recommended tie-breaking procedure. A wins the toss and elects to take the ball. A1 scores on the third down. After A1 crosses the goal line: (a) A2 clips B1; or (b) B1 strikes A2. Ruling: Dead-ball fouls in both (a) and (b). The score counts and the penalties in both (a) and (b) are enforced on the try, because that is the succeeding spot."

Change this situation from "sores a touchdown" to "scores a field goal", and the ruling remains the same.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
... a HS game ... an excessive celebration penalty.
I don't do NCAA but I've heard they have this "excessive celebration penalty." I presume in NFHS they flagged for USC.

If it was a "team celebration", I wonder how they would be flag for USC under 9-5-1(c) since that seems to deal with only one person. Perhaps the officals got them on 9-5-1(g) because they told B to knock it off and B didn't knock it off quickly enough.

Either way, I agree with others that a USC after the ball became dead should be enforced on the succeeding spot, with a 1st and goal to go.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroKen62 View Post
Another question - After enforcement, is it 1st and 10? or 1st and Goal?

It all depends on where your from. Missouri uses a modified overtime procedure which is similar to NCAA. For us it would be 1st & 10.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
It all depends on where your from. Missouri uses a modified overtime procedure which is similar to NCAA. For us it would be 1st & 10.
I live in PA. We use straight NFHS OT
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

probably be a long time before thatR does another playoff game!
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Did not see the play in question but recently heard that a possible explanation was that the kick was blocked, was still behind the LOS when someone had the dreaded IW. A friend of mine saw it on TV and said that there was no yardage markoff, just a replay of the down. The IW scenario explains this better than an USC. The excessive celebration call was probably coming from one of the talking heads trying to figure out what was going on. Or if they actually did mark off half the distance (again I didn't see it) the IW would explain replaying the down, because the USC sure doesn't explain it.

Last edited by wvref1; Tue Nov 24, 2009 at 03:07pm. Reason: added info
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvref1 View Post
Did not see the play in question but recently heard that a possible explanation was that the kick was blocked, was still behind the LOS when someone had the dreaded IW. A friend of mine saw it on TV and said that there was no yardage markoff, just a replay of the down. The IW scenario explains this better than an USC. The excessive celebration call was probably coming from one of the talking heads trying to figure out what was going on. Or if they actually did mark off half the distance (again I didn't see it) the IW would explain replaying the down, because the USC sure doesn't explain it.
That might make more sense. Rob King and Wolf on TV didn't know what was going on and the R did not get on the mic to give an explanation, so everyone was confused.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2009, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump View Post
I don't do NCAA but I've heard they have this "excessive celebration penalty." I presume in NFHS they flagged for USC.
REPLY: Even in the NCAA, it's USC. They just expound to say it's a "USC for excessive celebration"--the same way we might say it's "USC for the coach being on the field"