The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Question

High school match. If the scorekeeper fails to notice an incorrect server, does the umpire blow the whistle for a violation after the serve or allow this to go waiting for the opposing team to detect? If the opposing teams is the first to detect, how does the coach bring it to the umpires attention? The NFHS book only states that the umpire is responsible for the receiving teams alignment. It doesn't list the correct serving order as a responsibility. The book also states that if the incorrect serving order is detected, all points awarded under the incorrect server will be disallowed. Anyone have the correct ruling?
Thanks
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

As the umpire, I would be inclined to wait for the end of rally, check with the scorer, and then inform the up referee of the violation. S/he can then call the violation and make the incorrect server signal and award the point/loss of rally.

The playing captain may request verification of the proper server for the opposing team during any dead ball (Rule 6-2-2). Proper procedure would be to wait for the end of rally/dead ball and then have the floor captain request a check for the correct server on the opposing team.

As you note, once the improper server is detected all points previously scored by that server are cancelled and a point/loss of rally is awarded to the opposing team. The only proviso is that that must occur before the opposing team serves - once they serve, the points stand and are non-correctable.

-Homer-

Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your reply.

So why wouldn't the rules book specify that the umpire is responsible for calling incorrect server violations?
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cards2323
High school match. If the scorekeeper fails to notice an incorrect server, does the umpire blow the whistle for a violation after the serve or allow this to go waiting for the opposing team to detect? If the opposing teams is the first to detect, how does the coach bring it to the umpires attention? The NFHS book only states that the umpire is responsible for the receiving teams alignment. It doesn't list the correct serving order as a responsibility. The book also states that if the incorrect serving order is detected, all points awarded under the incorrect server will be disallowed. Anyone have the correct ruling?
Thanks
See Penalty #2 at end of 6-3-3 on page 28 of the 04/05 rule book for the various options.

Had something similar happen at match last night. Wrong server served & scored a point - wasn't caught by scorekeeper. At this point, coach of serving team asked me, as umpire, to verify proper server, resulting in discovery of the violation. The point scored by incorrect server was nullified and a point/loss of rally awarded to the opponent. After a quick alignment/serve order check the game continued.

Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cards2323
Thanks for your reply.

So why wouldn't the rules book specify that the umpire is responsible for calling incorrect server violations?
Determining proper alignment of players on the serving team at the moment of serve is specifically the Referee's responsibility - see 5-3-2-c-7. I would assume that an incorrect server would fall under this provision.

Personally, I think's it the umpire's responsibility in this situation to assist the referee by bringing it to his/her attention so they can then make the ruling.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Wrong Server

Same thing happened to me Tuesday night. Although I track the server, I was using a different lineup card than normal and I "thought" we had the wrong server, but waited until after the rally to go to the scorekeeper. She wasn't very confident in her skills, so she did not have the timer blow the horn for wrong server, but we corrected it after the point - especially when the serving team asked for a lineup check after that rally. We corrected the rotation and since the serving team lost the rally - no harm done; even when the opposing coach asked if there should have been more of a penalty.