The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 08:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Politically incorrect?

In this day and age, I'm somewhat surprised that announcers (and coaches, for that matter) refer to defense in women's games as "man-to-man". I know it's kind of petty to think that's insulting, but with things the way they are, especially since Title 9 came into being, one would think that phrase would not continue to be used in those games.

Again - no big deal to me, but I'm just surprised the term is still used.

And no - I'm not suggesting they say "chick-to-chick", although it would be more entertaining to male viewers.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
In this day and age, I'm somewhat surprised that announcers (and coaches, for that matter) refer to defense in women's games as "man-to-man". I know it's kind of petty to think that's insulting, but with things the way they are, especially since Title 9 came into being, one would think that phrase would not continue to be used in those games.

Again - no big deal to me, but I'm just surprised the term is still used.

And no - I'm not suggesting they say "chick-to-chick", although it would be more entertaining to male viewers.

Well in that case Mark we need American Airlines to get of the cock pit in their jets!
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

'Man-to-man' refers to a traditional defensive strategy, and nobody's come up with a plausible gender inclusive alternative.

Weirder to me is the coach shouting to her girls: "find your man!" Makes it feel like Sadie Hawkins Day!
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 09:07pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Weirder to me is the coach shouting to her girls: "find your man!" Makes it feel like Sadie Hawkins Day!
Alright, that took me waaaay back. Wow!
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 09:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Makes it feel like Sadie Hawkins Day!
For those of you not familiar with Lil' Abner:

Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

I think that Juulie once got a little huffy about this a few years back and recommended that it be called "person-to-person" defense.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I think that Juulie once got a little huffy about this a few years back and recommended that it be called "person-to-person" defense.
Actually, I acknowledged that "person-to-person" would be ridiculous. What I advocated for was "one-to-one". I still don't understand why that hasn't caught on, but I don't hear or see any girls/women players or coaches of women or girls using this. I agree that "Get your man" or "pick up your man" sounds strange. But it seems that others don't, or they don't worry about it. So I've quit mentioning it or thinking about it. If I'm gonna fight a hopeless battle, it's gonna be about something more important.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for setting the record and my memory straight.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 10:11pm
We don't rent pigs

Many years ago, when the women's game was first achieving national prominence, I remember a coach saying something like:

We play man to man defense. Person to person is a telephone call.

Hear all the young guys saying huh?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 11:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
'Man-to-man' refers to a traditional defensive strategy, and nobody's come up with a plausible gender inclusive alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Alright, that took me waaaay back. Wow!
the high school near us has a notice for their upcoming Sadie Hawkins dance.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 11:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
If I'm gonna fight a hopeless battle, it's gonna be about something more important.
We should talk to Billy about copywriting this for you.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 11:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

I've heard plenty of female coaches of female teams say "man-to-man" when referring to non-zone defenses.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 11:58pm
Archaic Power Monger

I've heard more than a few female coaches yell "MAN UP!" to their female players. Always makes me wonder a little.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

May I direct your attention to Man | Define Man at Dictionary.com and the three meanings quoted below.
man

1 /mæn/ Show Spelled [man] Show IPA noun,pluralmen, verb,manned, man·ning, interjection
–noun
2. a member of the species Homo sapiens or all the members of this species collectively, without regard to sex: prehistoric man.
3. the human individual as representing the species, without reference to sex; the human race; humankind: Man hopes for peace, but prepares for war.
4. a human being; person: to give a man a chance; When the audience smelled the smoke, it was every man for himself.
The proper definition of the word is pretty clear in that it can properly be used in both ways. To argue that it is incorrect to use man in the context of females is simply being PC just to be PC.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
May I direct your attention to Man | Define Man at Dictionary.com and the three meanings quoted below.
man

1 /mæn/ Show Spelled [man] Show IPA noun,pluralmen, verb,manned, man·ning, interjection
–noun
2. a member of the species Homo sapiens or all the members of this species collectively, without regard to sex: prehistoric man.
3. the human individual as representing the species, without reference to sex; the human race; humankind: Man hopes for peace, but prepares for war.
4. a human being; person: to give a man a chance; When the audience smelled the smoke, it was every man for himself.
The proper definition of the word is pretty clear in that it can properly be used in both ways. To argue that it is incorrect to use man in the context of females is simply being PC just to be PC.
Camron, I agree, but there are some individuals out there who think that such terms and pronouns do not accord females the proper amount of respect. Perhaps a solid course in the English language would be helpful for them.