The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Look at it this way: the home team needs the visiting team's agreement to reschedule the start time. The teams have a contract that specifies the start time. The teams may, by common consent, reschedule the start time at any point prior to the ball being tossed.
You think HS games have a contract? I doubt that most of them have anything like that. The league dictates most of their schedules.

I've started games up to 1 hour late due to the earlier games running long (OT's plus and extended delay for injury). The schedule start time was 7:30. Since the game before was still in the 1st half at 7:20, I was not going to check to see if both teams had provided their info. I wasn't even on the court.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
The opposing coach vocalized his concern about getting the underclassmen to another game across town.
I'm curious. Did charging the opponent with a technical foul get the underclassmen to the other game on time?

We don't know why the home coach was late. Perhaps a valid reason, perhaps not.

However, scheduling a second game for players to play in on the same night certainly doesn't seem very prudent. I wonder who the coach would blame if this game had gone into overtime?

Seems to me the technical was assessed moreso to please the visiting coach than anything else. Personally, I would not have called it. I think this penalty is more about fair play and assumes the coach is actually in the building but does not complete his duties. I've seen a state Elite Eight game delayed 45 minutes because one team brought the wrong color uniforms. No one even suggested a technical foul.

Don't be a plumber.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

I've had two games in seven years start with free throws-almost had number three yesterday.

A.Varsity Boys-kid dunking during warmups

B.JV Girls Tourney-uniform issue

Near miss was last night-JV Girls-visitors have two #12's in away uniforms.coach offers to turn one of them into #2 but coach just decides not to play the player so he can have his box.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
You think HS games have a contract? I doubt that most of them have anything like that. The league dictates most of their schedules.

I've started games up to 1 hour late due to the earlier games running long (OT's plus and extended delay for injury). The schedule start time was 7:30. Since the game before was still in the 1st half at 7:20, I was not going to check to see if both teams had provided their info. I wasn't even on the court.
Your area my be different. In my area, yes, these games are contracted between the schools.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 08:57pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That might be his concern, but then he shouldn't have scheduled the games so close together. And, how does starting the game with a T make it end any sooner? If he's so concerned he can talk to the other coach and agree to shorten the game.

Your concern is only the current game.
Three very valid points.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:01pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The start time is not the time you are given with your assignment -- it's the time the home team gives you when you on site. If the home team isn't on the floor ready to play, how is this your concern as an official? They aren't ready, you don't play.

(Side question: Was there a countdown timer on the clock? Was it counting down?)

If I whacked a team every time they weren't ready to go by the posted start time, I'd have to call technicals 80% of the time when the JV game ran over. While that might be fun, it certainly isn't the right thing to do.
Yes, the clock was set and counting down when I arrived. They stopped it at 5 minutes so the team could finish getting ready. And no I don't think it is the right thing to do every time if the game doesn't start right when scheduled.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:08pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I'm curious. Did charging the opponent with a technical foul get the underclassmen to the other game on time?

We don't know why the home coach was late. Perhaps a valid reason, perhaps not.

However, scheduling a second game for players to play in on the same night certainly doesn't seem very prudent. I wonder who the coach would blame if this game had gone into overtime?

Seems to me the technical was assessed moreso to please the visiting coach than anything else. Personally, I would not have called it. I think this penalty is more about fair play and assumes the coach is actually in the building but does not complete his duties. I've seen a state Elite Eight game delayed 45 minutes because one team brought the wrong color uniforms. No one even suggested a technical foul.

Don't be a plumber.
I agree with you on all points. Especially the plumber part.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
I've had two games in seven years start with free throws-almost had number three yesterday.

A.Varsity Boys-kid dunking during warmups

B.JV Girls Tourney-uniform issue

Near miss was last night-JV Girls-visitors have two #12's in away uniforms.coach offers to turn one of them into #2 but coach just decides not to play the player so he can have his box.
The coach doesn't lose his box for an administrative T.

And, it's a T to have identical numbers in the book even if one (or both) of them doesn't play.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Bob-
I had a suspicion that was the case He passed on the T for duplicate numbers when the coach said he wouldn't play one of them.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Thanks Bob-
I had a suspicion that was the case He passed on the T for duplicate numbers when the coach said he wouldn't play one of them.
I'm not sure that's "wrong" at a JV game.