The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Time limit - -when does clock start running

Does anyone know the ASA rule and/or case book cite for when the clock starts running in a time limit game. This happens to be a slow-picth league and the local rules are silent as to when the time starts.

I seem to recall an ASA rule added in the last three years that says it starts running at the first pitch. I could be wrong, though.

We had an ASA umpire that started the clock running during the coaches meeting. Thanks in advance.

Tap
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

The only thing I know of in ASA for time limit is for JO ball. With that it starts at the time of the first pitch. In the adult games I have done in the past where local organizations have put in a time limit, our local policy was to start it at the end of the plate conference.
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 07:19pm
Never Stop Learning

ASA rule 5-10 " When the time limit rule is in effect, time begins with the first pitch."
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tap
Does anyone know the ASA rule and/or case book cite for when the clock starts running in a time limit game. This happens to be a slow-picth league and the local rules are silent as to when the time starts.

I seem to recall an ASA rule added in the last three years that says it starts running at the first pitch. I could be wrong, though.

We had an ASA umpire that started the clock running during the coaches meeting. Thanks in advance.

Tap
You are correct as far as ASA; however, this is something you should address to the league director. Our city league scorcekeepers start time when the home team is called to take the field after the Mgr's conference.
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Theoretically, the difference between the defense taking the field and the first pitch is less than one minute.

I've had various instructions for starting the clock from leagues and TDs. It is not unusual to be told to start the clock at the end of the plate meeting, and to make sure the coaches know the clock has been started. The objective is to encourage a bit of hustle in getting the game underway.

For my normal league games, I will start the timer at the throw down from the catcher. Close enough to first pitch while not requiring that I be still fiddling with the timer when getting set for the pitch.

The championship play rule (ASA rule) seems to assume that an official scorekeeper exists. It is not really workable for the umpire to be starting the clock while the pitch is being released.
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

The key to ASA 5-10 is that it does only refer to championship play. And, it also specifies 1:40 in JO fastpitch play only. So, one might conclude, theefore, that this only applies to games required to have this time limit per ASA Code 510-O.

Secondly, the rationale described in 2005 when the rule was incorporated was "Now that time limits have been authorized, there should be a definitive starting time." Not that there is some magic in the first pitch, just that it should be definitive.

Guaranteed that your local league isn't playing strictly championship rules; and you already stated it is a slow pitch league, games not covered by ASA Code 510-O. So, if there is a definitive start time, then you have followed the intent of a rule which doesn't specifically apply to your games.
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Theoretically, the difference between the defense taking the field and the first pitch is less than one minute.

I've had various instructions for starting the clock from leagues and TDs. It is not unusual to be told to start the clock at the end of the plate meeting, and to make sure the coaches know the clock has been started. The objective is to encourage a bit of hustle in getting the game underway.

For my normal league games, I will start the timer at the throw down from the catcher. Close enough to first pitch while not requiring that I be still fiddling with the timer when getting set for the pitch.

The championship play rule (ASA rule) seems to assume that an official scorekeeper exists. It is not really workable for the umpire to be starting the clock while the pitch is being released.
In the LL I do, the clock starts at the end of the plate meeting. I walk over the home team scorer and give her an official time.

New question:
Does the next inning begin when the third out of the current inning is made?
IOW if the third out of the bottom half of the inning is made and time is expired (or expires before the home team takes the field on Defense) is the game over?
It is the bold section that I am wondering

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
Does the next inning begin when the third out of the current inning is made?
IOW if the third out of the bottom half of the inning is made and time is expired (or expires before the home team takes the field on Defense) is the game over?
It is the bold section that I am wondering
Speaking ASA.

The new inning begins immediately upon recording the 3rd out of the bottom half of the previous inning. ASA Rule 1-INNING.

So, if there is time remaining when the third out is recorded, you play one more inning. If time has expired before the third out is recorded, game over (unless tied). If time expires during the warmups for the next inning, it doesn't matter since the next inning has started and must be completed.

All of this is technically the rule. As a practical matter, depending on circumstances, what constitutes "time remaining" may be, (ahem), "interpreted" by the umpire.
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
All of this is technically the rule. As a practical matter, depending on circumstances, what constitutes "time remaining" may be, (ahem), "interpreted" by the umpire.
gotcha Tom

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA

A couple of years ago before the start time was defined, there was a suggested rule "add" which would have started the clock at the end of the plate meeting. The problem was that many of the slow-pitch folks couldn't understand why this was necessary since it only involved FP, 10U & pool play.

Even after a careful explanation to a couple of the committees, and instruction by a member of the NUS that it very much affected the SP game, the committee chose to not recommend the proposal. I believe moreso because they just didn't understand it. For clarification concerning the SP game, the year prior, ASA Reps & TD were given the authority to do whatever necessary to complete a tournament and using a time limit was one of the tools accepted in accomplishing that feat.

Apparently the light bulb came on as the following year it was defined by the first pitch.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I usually don't go by time of day, to avoid watch synch problems. I use a stop watch and announce "90 minutes, time starts "NOW", after getting both scorers attention.

Last edited by CecilOne; Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 08:15am.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see a whole lot of "time limit" games. Some of the games I do see should have a time limit, but that's another subject.

In the games that are timed, I use my watch and nobody sees the exact time except me. I make note of the start time and the limit on the home team's lineup card. By the book, time starts with the first pitch - I'll inform both head coaches after the first half inning what the start time was. And, as long as both teams are moving at the same pace, I don't hurry anyone - it's their game and they have agreed on the pace of the game. If one team hustles and one doesn't, I'll try to move the slow one along.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Are you "wearing" that watch?
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I wear my watch and my adjustable hat and my shin guards on the outside of my pants - is that OK?
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Not being sarcastic...are we?

We always use 1st pitch here....dont deny the kids any playing time....