The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 03:01pm
NFHS Official

I am going to the opposing coach and letting him know he is running late
As soon as he gets here we will get started. Just don't envision giving a T here.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 03:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
As soon as he gets here we will get started. Just don't envision giving a T here.
Me either.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

If only most knew how hard it is sometimes for school systems to fill some of these lower level (frosh, middle school) coaching positions with capable, quality individuals. Most have to come from outside school system as teachers no longer want to coach, but hold on to their teaching positions. These guys (and ladies) may have time consuming jobs or businesses that are their main concern and livelihood. In addition, most of these lower level games are in afternoon, sometimes as early as 4pm, when conflicts with a real job can occur. Hearing a coach at this level is running late is certainly plausible to me and deserves the benefit of the doubt and a little slack.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 03:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
If only most knew how hard it is sometimes for school systems to fill some of these lower level (frosh, middle school) coaching positions with capable, quality individuals. Most have to come from outside school system as teachers no longer want to coach, but hold on to their teaching positions. These guys (and ladies) may have time consuming jobs or businesses that are their main concern and livelihood. In addition, most of these lower level games are in afternoon, sometimes as early as 4pm, when conflicts with a real job can occur. Hearing a coach at this level is running late is certainly plausible to me and deserves the benefit of the doubt and a little slack.
And the same would apply to officials in these situations.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
And the same would apply to officials in these situations.
Tis true...but, if you are an official assigned to a game and you see, for instance, next Tuesday looming as a possible conflict, you probably come off that assignment to avoid any cluster___. A lone coach (some don't have assistants) might not have this luxury.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 03:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Tis true...but, if you are an official assigned to a game and you see, for instance, next Tuesday looming as a possible conflict, you probably come off that assignment to avoid any cluster___. A lone coach (some don't have assistants) might not have this luxury.
An official can have something come up at the last minute at his 9-to-5. One of my assignor's has a great deal of trouble filling in those 4:00 start times. Someone could say they are taking off from work at 3:00 and then get that unexpected phone call or meeting that holds them up.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Camron didn't say give the second T or don't give the second T, he said you could which is true. I'm just saying I wouldn't, that's all. If I felt it was done deliberately my answer could be different.
Very observant of you. That is exactly what I said...and meant.

As for what I'd do, I'd probably be accommodating of a team in such a situation. I've started games late because the visiting team got lost or stuck in traffic...and we just started late with no T's. We set the pregame clock to 15-20 when they walked in the door and went from there.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Very observant of you. That is exactly what I said...and meant.

As for what I'd do, I'd probably be accommodating of a team in such a situation. I've started games late because the visiting team got lost or stuck in traffic...and we just started late with no T's. We set the pregame clock to 15-20 when they walked in the door and went from there.
Me, too -- and what I meant with my clock running example. The "exception" would be if someone started the clock without knowing that the coach would be late, or if the clock was started because "the coach was in the parking lot" (and the names didn't get in on time), etc.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 04:05pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Me either.

Me three.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Camron didn't say give the second T or don't give the second T, he said you could which is true. I'm just saying I wouldn't, that's all. If I felt it was done deliberately my answer could be different.
Whether to penalize or not is not the issue that I have with your post. It is your reasoning. You essentially write don't penalize the kids because of the coach. I don't agree with that and am pointing out that they are all part of the team.
Now whether you actually penalize is a different story, but the rationale shouldn't be what you stated.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

I have seen a similar situation at the V level in the past two years - one time the bus ran into a serious accident that was holding up traffic, the other was because of road construction.

I would have hard time explaining to any authorities (AD, assignor, etc.) that we started giving out technicals because of these situations. This is still high school basketball and we have to use some prudent judgement in these situations.

Now with that said, your situation is a little different and possibly could have been avoided, but I am always a little miffed when some officials forget about having compassion for the circumstances. Its one of the reasons for my signature quote.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:25pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
I have seen a similar situation at the V level in the past two years - one time the bus ran into a serious accident that was holding up traffic, the other was because of road construction.

I would have hard time explaining to any authorities (AD, assignor, etc.) that we started giving out technicals because of these situations. This is still high school basketball and we have to use some prudent judgement in these situations.

Now with that said, your situation is a little different and possibly could have been avoided, but I am always a little miffed when some officials forget about having compassion for the circumstances. Its one of the reasons for my signature quote.
I too think a bus crash or unexpected circumstances is warranted for some leniency. I'll be honest, I don't know why the coach was late, maybe I should have asked why before making a ruling. The opposing coach vocalized his concern about getting the underclassmen to another game across town. I felt like this was a fair decision, to charge a team tech for the book so that hopefully in the future this situation will be avoided. It didn't seem like an excessively harsh penalty and I am glad we also did not charge a second tech for not being ready to play. I feel like that was a good decision.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
The opposing coach vocalized his concern about getting the underclassmen to another game across town.
That might be his concern, but then he shouldn't have scheduled the games so close together. And, how does starting the game with a T make it end any sooner? If he's so concerned he can talk to the other coach and agree to shorten the game.

Your concern is only the current game.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:08am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I'd probably do the same, especially for a Freshman level game.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That might be his concern, but then he shouldn't have scheduled the games so close together. And, how does starting the game with a T make it end any sooner? If he's so concerned he can talk to the other coach and agree to shorten the game.

Your concern is only the current game.
This