The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

LSU/UT Block/Charge

Great game that went into overtime.

Officials on the game were (via box score) James Burr, Mike Thibodeaux & Tom Eades. I know who Jim Burr is but don't know the others by sight.

There is one play in particular I want to throw out for discussion.

Around 13:00 in the second half LSU is in transition. A block charge happens right smack in the middle of the free throw semi circle. Burr is Lead opposite and the white hair gentlemen of the other two is C in front of the LSU bench.

Burr comes up with a block right away, but after slowing it down I notice the C has his left arm cocked and ready to punch the play the other way when he sees the block call and drops it.

My reason for posting is in light of the recent discussions of B/C calls at this level; I thought that even though C had one call and it looked like he was going to sell it hard the other way, he recognized the leads call and dropped it without any further confrontation.

I will add that there was an overhead shot afterwards of the players huddled in the lane and Burr comes walking past pointing to his chest. I wonder if he was talking to a coach or his partner. Anyone have any insight to how that goes down at that level?
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 11:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen

Officials on the game were (via box score) James Burr, Mike Thibodeaux & Tom Eades. I know who Jim Burr is but don't know the others by sight.
Mike and Tom both are long time D1 officials from the south. They both were instructors at Dale Kelly's camps this summer. Tom was the white haired official for the purposes of identification.

Quote:

Around 13:00 in the second half LSU is in transition. A block charge happens right smack in the middle of the free throw semi circle. Burr is Lead opposite and the white hair gentlemen of the other two is C in front of the LSU bench.

Burr comes up with a block right away, but after slowing it down I notice the C has his left arm cocked and ready to punch the play the other way when he sees the block call and drops it.

My reason for posting is in light of the recent discussions of B/C calls at this level; I thought that even though C had one call and it looked like he was going to sell it hard the other way, he recognized the leads call and dropped it without any further confrontation.
I am not sure I understand what you are asking so I will have to ask a question for my clarification. Did the C official make a signal other than the foul call (fist in the air)?

Quote:
I will add that there was an overhead shot afterwards of the players huddled in the lane and Burr comes walking past pointing to his chest. I wonder if he was talking to a coach or his partner. Anyone have any insight to how that goes down at that level?
I do not think anyone here is going to know what was discussed. If the call was in the middle of the lane it really does not matter what the level is all 3 officials can have a call. Not sure if that answers your question but that is the best I can do with the current information. I did see near the end of the game, but I did not see from start to finish. It was a good game from what I saw.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

I dint' see the whole game just the last 5 minutes pluss OT
You could have had a triple whistle on this given the location
where did the play originate from?
Was the defender the primary defender or a secondary defender?
A lot of this information has to do with who comes up with the call
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

I guess I'm not really asking anything other than if anyone saw it and would like to comment on the play.

Did the C (Tom Eades) make a signal? No...but he was a split second away from selling a charge HARD the other way. lIf you slow that moment down you can definitely tell.

I'm not really debating on who's primary it was in, it was in transition and was correctly covered by the two officials.

My observation was more centered around the forum's discussion a while back on block/charge calls and how Eades did a great job of avoiding that very scenario.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 11:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I guess I'm not really asking anything other than if anyone saw it and would like to comment on the play.

Did the C (Tom Eades) make a signal? No...but he was a split second away from selling a charge HARD the other way. lIf you slow that moment down you can definitely tell.

I'm not really debating on who's primary it was in, it was in transition and was correctly covered by the two officials.

My observation was more centered around the forum's discussion a while back on block/charge calls and how Eades did a great job of avoiding that very scenario.
It sounds like the officials handled the situation correctly. The fact that this play was in transition can be more difficult because there are no set coverage areas established at that time. It sounds like you have more of a statement than a question (which is fine). I still do not know what you really want to know. All 3 of these guys are very experienced officials and I am sure they have worked together before. It sounds like they did the right thing.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Jim Burr was pointing to his chest to tell the Texas coach it was his call (not sure it was but...) I did see the play and I thought that the Center had a great look and great postioning on the call and Burr (Lead) may have jumped the gun just little bit. Jim has worked about 15 more Final Fours than I have though.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

To me, Tom ran his a** off to be able to look between the two players the whole way down the floor, and should have been able to take that call, but unlike Tom, who used his whistle as the tool of the trade by blowing it a couple of times, giving himself time before he made the signal, kept it from being a blarge where as Jim Burr blew and as soon as he blew, and maybe even before he was giving a block signal.

I feel that Jim Burr just overwhelms the game and took plays from the guys that needed to take the plays to the table, but I guess you can do that when you are considered one of the greats.

I know it is a little off topic, but on the topic of greats, did anybody watch the Boston College and Maryland game last night, and notice how when there is a foul that referee Teddy Valentine maybe should has a whistle on that even though he might not blow he still holds his fist in the air. I would never do that, but think that's pretty out of the ordinary, but understandable because if a less experienced official blows on a play and Teddy has the same thing, it gives that guy more credibility.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 04:42pm
Huck Finn

If I understand what you are saying, many people say this is the right thing to do. If you have a double whistle and drop your hand quickly it shows uncertainty. Holding it shows two, or more, officials have a foul on the play.

I'm not 100% sure about what you meant because your sentence mentioning Teddy is sort of a run-on sentence using "has" where you might have meant "have."

One person on that crew couldn't get up and down the floor too well.