View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post

Has anyone ever thought about your percentages? Is there a good rule of thumb?

Charge (% of time)
Block (% of time)
No Call (% of time)
I have never thought about percentages and I think it's kind of silly to do so. I've had games this year where we had a half dozen PC fouls and games where there were many more blocks.

I referee the defense and go from there to try and get the play right. Worrying about the percentages on these calls is a recipe for disaster IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
In my past two high school games, I've noted I seem to have some issues correctly judging a block/charge.

When might a no-call be appropriate in this situation?
At the HS level I think block/charge is not nearly as difficult as many make it out to be if you referee the defense. In general, if the defense has LGP does what is allowed within the rules then you have a PC or a no call. If he defender is not legal or moves toward or into the path of the offensive player then you have a block. If the defense is legal and not displaced by contact from the offensive player then you have a no call.

Block/charge can get more difficult the quicker, bigger, and more athletic players become at higher levels but the principals are, for the most part, the same.