The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 01:53pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Completely disagree. The worst possible thing an official could say is, "Yeah, well I saw your wife last night ... she was ON her back!! BOOM!!!!"
BOOM goes the dynamite!

And only 12,000 more to go!
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 01:58pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Yeah —*I know what pejorative means

"having a disparaging, derogatory, or belittling effect or force"

Do we really belittle officials who use the term "end line"?

I guess I am one of the nice ones
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 02:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yeah —*I know what pejorative means

"having a disparaging, derogatory, or belittling effect or force"

Do we really belittle officials who use the term "end line"?

I guess I am one of the nice ones
I gave one part of the meaning, you gave the other (Just like a lot of words in a dictionary). And no we do not belittle anyone with the term "base line", but people do see that as a negative or incorrect usage of the actual definition or the word used in the rulebook. At least they are often treated that way.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 02:04pm
NFHS Official

Does it really matter if someone says baseline instead of endline? Don't we still know exactly what they are talking about?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think that part of the reasoning behind being a little nit-picky on the terminology is that "over and back" is not necessarily a backcourt violation. In bringing the ball to the frontcourt, you can be part of the way across (over) and then return to the backcourt (and back) —*and it is not a violation.
Then they are not "over" are they. "Over" is fine if you define it as all the way over.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I disagree with you. For all the crap we've given people for saying "baseline" instead of "end line", we can get this one right, too. It's a backcourt violation. Period.

We do? I certainly don't. There are a lot of things I'd worry about before I bother correcting someone on endline vs. baseline.

For that matter, I probably say baseline a good part of the time. And you know what, I'll keep saying it because everyone knows exactly what it means with no confusion. There are certain "non-official" phrases or words that are just fine and express exactly the same as their "official" counterpart. Over-and-back is one of them too. It precisely describes the call just as well, if not better, than backcourt violation.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 02:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Over-and-back is one of them too. It precisely describes the call just as well, if not better, than backcourt violation.
BTW, "Over and Back" is the description of the signal (Signal #22) used when a backcourt violation takes place.

So the term is used in the rulebook.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Over the back is a term that has worked its way into the vernacular of the game. If someone says it to you, you know what it means. It is probably best for your semantic choices to be consistent with using "rulebook verbiage." This means using similar terms as are in the rulebook with the hope that coaches are on the same page (reading the rules) and will speak the same language and terms.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 03:02pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Then they are not "over" are they. "Over" is fine if you define it as all the way over.
It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 03:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
Over the back is a term that has worked its way into the vernacular of the game. If someone says it to you, you know what it means. It is probably best for your semantic choices to be consistent with using "rulebook verbiage." This means using similar terms as are in the rulebook with the hope that coaches are on the same page (reading the rules) and will speak the same language and terms.
Actually we do not know what they mean if you are applying the rules. Or at least what they are suggesting is not rules based. There is nothing in the rules that is special about the back. Just like a coach might say, "Well he had inside position right?" None of those things have rules backing and can be confusing or if we called it correctly we would not apply the actual rules. Fouls are about displacement and someone out jumping even on your back does not mean it is a foul and often coaches, players and fans thinks these are fouls simply because a player out jumps them from behind.

I had a game last night where a couple of the kids were 6'8" or bigger and their opponent might not have had a 6'3" player and every time the bigger kids out jumped someone, you would hear a cry for a foul. No displacement, hardly any contact at all but it does not stop them saying, "Over the back." I think as officials we should not feed into that ignorance.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 03:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is.
A fine moment for our country and its beloved horndog-in-chief.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 04:01pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Most assigners I deal with say their biggest problem is dealing with things officials say to coaches.
This is 100% accurate. I've seen SO many reports from coaches (that are submitted through our software) ... it's always about something the official said, his attitude, or something along those lines.

Do coaches get upset about calls? Sure... but they get much more bothered by the perceived attitude of officials. A lot of times what comes out of our mouths doesn't help matters!
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 04:05pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
This may be just the officials I have dealt with, but it cracks me up when someone has 5 college games and says something like, "You may have to help me with an interpretation if I try to use a college rule". Really?
My favorite pre-game brag was the following:

Was working at Sam Houston and the R on the crew said something to the effect of, "You'll have to excuse me guys if my stuff is a little stinky — been on the road for 3-4 days."

The official then went on to detail which games he had just worked — big schools!

I guess he didn't realize it at the time, but those conferences used BlueZebra Sports for their assigning. Did a quick search on him when I got home.

He did not work any of those games.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 04:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
This is 100% accurate. I've seen SO many reports from coaches (that are submitted through our software) ... it's always about something the official said, his attitude, or something along those lines.

Do coaches get upset about calls? Sure... but they get much more bothered by the perceived attitude of officials. A lot of times what comes out of our mouths doesn't help matters!
Coaches think we are at their beck and call for all kinds of things and if we do not stop everything to talk to them then we are bad officials. I put little stock in what reports say when often coaches have unreasonable positions about what officials are supposed to do for them. Thank God I work for a lot of people that seem to understand that fact and pretty much know who their coaches are and deal with them appropriately. A lot of times if there is a problem, we hear nothing about it from our supervisors.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 04:16pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Coaches think we are at their beck and call for all kinds of things and if we do not stop everything to talk to them then we are bad officials. I put little stock in what reports say when often coaches have unreasonable positions about what officials are supposed to do for them. Thank God I work for a lot of people that seem to understand that fact and pretty much know who their coaches are and deal with them appropriately. A lot of times if there is a problem, we hear nothing about it from our supervisors.

Peace
Rut, if you are as diplomatic on the court as you are on the forum, we all know you don't have any problems!