The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

You make the call

Batters hits fair ball down the right field line. BR collides with F3 (failing to touch 1Base), umpire signals OBS. BR advances to 2B, then advances to 3B on bad throw. Defense appeals missed base at 1B. Do you call the BR out for failing to touch 1B or enforce the OBS and leave her on 3B?
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig
Batters hits fair ball down the right field line. BR collides with F3 (failing to touch 1Base), umpire signals OBS. BR advances to 2B, then advances to 3B on bad throw. Defense appeals missed base at 1B. Do you call the BR out for failing to touch 1B or enforce the OBS and leave her on 3B?
Did the OBS cause the missed base?
Did the umpire judge the BR would reach another base w/o the OBS and 1st touched?
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Runner is out

My understanding is that the obstructed runner is still required to touch all bases.

But I'm just a coach - very interested to hear what the umps have to say!
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

OBS does not relieve the runner from her base running duties. She must legally run all bases. As a matter of fact, ASA clearly states that an appeal for missing a base as a situation where the runner can be called out between the two bases where she was obstructed. (8:5:B)

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

She must run bases correctly. However, when the umpire awards the base, she is allowed to retouch... so we don't have enough information yet.

Cecil's 2nd question is important - where was the runner protected to (i.e. awarded)? Probably 2nd from the description, but this is a guess.

Also - was this missed base appeal made during live or dead ball period?

If the award was 3rd base, the umpire will not be telling the runner to go retouch, but the umpire SHOULD announce the OBS and award third base (yes, this can be awkward and/or confusing if she's already standing on 3rd). If the runner goes and retouches properly, she's fine. Most likely, she won't ... and then a dead ball appeal at 1st would result in an out.

On the other hand, if this is a live ball appeal --- wouldn't most of you call that a play on the runner? At which point we should rule dead ball, announce the OBS and the award, and again, see if the runner goes to retouch.

I'd be interested to hear Mike's opinion on this.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
She must run bases correctly. However, when the umpire awards the base, she is allowed to retouch... so we don't have enough information yet.

Cecil's 2nd question is important - where was the runner protected to (i.e. awarded)? Probably 2nd from the description, but this is a guess.

Also - was this missed base appeal made during live or dead ball period?

If the award was 3rd base, the umpire will not be telling the runner to go retouch, but the umpire SHOULD announce the OBS and award third base (yes, this can be awkward and/or confusing if she's already standing on 3rd). If the runner goes and retouches properly, she's fine. Most likely, she won't ... and then a dead ball appeal at 1st would result in an out.

On the other hand, if this is a live ball appeal --- wouldn't most of you call that a play on the runner? At which point we should rule dead ball, announce the OBS and the award, and again, see if the runner goes to retouch.

I'd be interested to hear Mike's opinion on this.
Agreed, there is no ASA rule which exempts the runner, obstructed or not, from touching all the bases in proper order.

Once the ball becomes dead for any reason, I'm hesitating to see any reaction by the runner (as to return to touch the missed base). If none, I accept the appeal and rule the OBS out.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Agreed, there is no ASA rule which exempts the runner, obstructed or not, from touching all the bases in proper order.

Once the ball becomes dead for any reason, I'm hesitating to see any reaction by the runner (as to return to touch the missed base). If none, I accept the appeal and rule the OBS out.
If you had a situation like this where the runner missed 1st, ended on 2nd, and your award was third, you would announce the OBS and the award, and wait to see what the runner did regarding the missed base, right?

So why give LESS opportunity to fix her mistake to someone who managed to make it to their awarded base?
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
If you had a situation like this where the runner missed 1st, ended on 2nd, and your award was third, you would announce the OBS and the award, and wait to see what the runner did regarding the missed base, right?
I would probably do the same thing. Hesitate, announce the award. Hesitate again and then move on. If there is an appeal coming, I will accept it at that point.

Quote:
So why give LESS opportunity to fix her mistake to someone who managed to make it to their awarded base?
How do you figure there was less opportunity? If the award would have been 2B, there is no OBS to address once she passed that base.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

ISF
New rule last year
The runner is exempted from touching the base if prevented from doing so by obstruction .
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Define "prevented"...

Unless the defender picked up the bag and tossed it into the dugout, not much would "prevent" retouching the bag.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

If they couldnt touch the bag in the normal legal running of the bases.
The same as you would judge if it was obstruction , then they dont have to touch that base .
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting... so if OBS causes them to miss the bag the first time by, they are not required to return to retouch (if I understand you correctly).

I wonder if ASA will pick up that change. Not sure if I like it, though.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I would probably do the same thing. Hesitate, announce the award. Hesitate again and then move on. If there is an appeal coming, I will accept it at that point.

How do you figure there was less opportunity? If the award would have been 2B, there is no OBS to address once she passed that base.
Because your first answer was, "Once the ball becomes dead for any reason, I'm hesitating to see any reaction by the runner (as to return to touch the missed base). If none, I accept the appeal and rule the OBS out." I didn't read that you would announce the award in that case, which was my main point of contention with your statement.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Dakota
Yes you have it correct .
OBST is still signalled
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debeau
Dakota
Yes you have it correct .
OBST is still signalled
Good rule. Common sense.
Runner should not be penalized for obstruction and delayed in attaining bases.