The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 11:59am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Just about the worst possible thing an official could say to a coach in that situation, IMO.
I didn't say it. I heard it from a college ref.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I didn't say it. I heard it from a college ref.
It's a good saying to teach about how it should be called, and some college officials can get away with saying stuff to coaches that might cause problems for others. I would be very unlikely to say that to a coach during a game.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 12:12pm
NFHS Official

He said during a high school game. Be calls some D 2 & 3.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 12:27pm
M.A.S.H.

Most assigners I deal with say their biggest problem is dealing with things officials say to coaches. Therefore, most assigners will tell you: "you can't quote silence."
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 12:49pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
He said during a high school game. Be calls some D 2 & 3.
Totally off the subject, but someone once told me this and I agree: an official is whatever he/she does the most of. If the official you are referring to does mostly high school basketball...he is a high school ref.

This may be just the officials I have dealt with, but it cracks me up when someone has 5 college games and says something like, "You may have to help me with an interpretation if I try to use a college rule". Really?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 12:53pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Totally off the subject, but someone once told me this and I agree: an official is whatever he/she does the most of. If the official you are referring to does mostly high school basketball...he is a high school ref.

This may be just the officials I have dealt with, but it cracks me up when someone has 5 college games and says something like, "You may have to help me with an interpretation if I try to use a college rule". Really?
I don't understand that either. Work two rule sets... know two rule sets. Simple enough.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 12:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Love the humble brag.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, as an official you are responsible for knowing the gym (and rules) you are in that night. I never bring up my schedule because nothing good can come of it. When you work a HS game, you are a HS ref. When you work a NCAA game, you are an NCAA ref.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Love the humble brag.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 01:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Please Don't Say It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
When you work a HS game, you are a HS ref. When you work a NCAA game, you are an NCAA ref.
... and when I work a Catholic middle school game, I'm a ... Heh? Wait a minute?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 01:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

In my experience it is more about if you are on a staff or if you were hired to work conference games than if you work more. At least around here that can be exposed very easily when someone starts talking like they work "college" and no one knows them or has worked with them. Kind of a closed community much more than on the high school side.

And honestly I call the game the same at least when it comes to judgments. The rules are very easy to know IMO too at the college level.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 01:31pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
I disagree with you. For all the crap we've given people for saying "baseline" instead of "end line", we can get this one right, too. It's a backcourt violation. Period.
I think that part of the reasoning behind being a little nit-picky on the terminology is that "over and back" is not necessarily a backcourt violation. In bringing the ball to the frontcourt, you can be part of the way across (over) and then return to the backcourt (and back) —*and it is not a violation.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 01:32pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
I never say walk. Why would an official ever?
I always have ... one syllable ... a lot easier than saying "travelling".

I don't know if I remember many people using "travelling" ... of course, we do things different down in Texas ... on technical fouls sometimes we add, "YeeHaw!!!"
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 01:34pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

perjorative

Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 01:35pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:

Quote:
Yes coach he was over the back. When he gets on the back I will call it.
Just about the worst possible thing an official could say to a coach in that situation, IMO.
Completely disagree. The worst possible thing an official could say is, "Yeah, well I saw your wife last night ... she was ON her back!! BOOM!!!!"
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 01:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Pejorative means a negative connotation or usage. Officials obviously think certain words are negative in nature as it relates to officiating language and why we often argue on this site over things like these terms.

Peace