The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Did I make the Right Call!

No runners on no outs batter hit a pop up halfway from home to first base firstbase is running in to catch the ball the pitcher in running to foul line to catch the ball the batter is running to firstbase you can see where this is going the batter move to the right in foul ground to miss the firstbase and the pitcher the ball move the pitch into the batter/runner in foul ground I called foulball in my eyes the runner was trying to miss eveyone and the ball was moving the pitcher into the batter/runner so did I make the right call?

And by the way the fielding team cocah with wild on my call saying that was interferes on the batter/runner.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Punctution is your friend.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

You need to determine if the runner interfered with the play. If the runner interfered with a fielder who could have caught this ball with normal effort, it is interference.

I generally consider players scrambling to make a great play on a short foul fly ball as extraordinary effort. Whereas, a play lining up under the fly ball to make the catch is ordinary effort.

By your description, I'd say.. I can see it both ways, but learning towards your call being fine.

Dont think making the call the other way would have saved you from a coach talk.. it just would have been a different coach. So make your judgment and your call and thats it.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

DW,
See what StuCarey said. He's right - try it.
I have rewritten your post, saying what I think you meant to say.

No runners on, no outs. Batter hit a pop up halfway from home to first base.
F3 is running in to catch the ball. F1 is running to foul line to catch the ball.
BR is running to firstbase. (you can see where this is going) BR moves to the right in foul ground to miss F3. F1 follows the ball into the BR in foul ground.
I called foulball because in my judgement the runner was trying to miss everyone and the ball was moving F1 into the BR. So did I make the right call?

And by the way the defense’s coach went wild on my call saying “that was interference on the BR."

The question to be answered is what fielder should have fielded this ball? That fielder is protected, no other fielder is. If F1 - the pitcher - is the player who you felt should have fielded that ball, your call should have been "dead ball, that's interference, out."
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
DW,

F3 is running in to catch the ball. F1 is running to foul line to catch the ball.
BR is running to firstbase. (you can see where this is going) BR moves to the right in foul ground to miss F3. F1 follows the ball into the BR in foul ground.
I called foulball because in my judgement the runner was trying to miss everyone and the ball was moving F1 into the BR. So did I make the right call?

And by the way the defense’s coach went wild on my call saying “that was interference on the BR."

The question to be answered is what fielder should have fielded this ball? That fielder is protected, no other fielder is. If F1 - the pitcher - is the player who you felt should have fielded that ball, your call should have been "dead ball, that's interference, out."
I dont believe you automatically afford protection to one or the other in this play.. I think you first determine if one could have reasonably had a play. Many times with this mess of bodies trying to do some great play, no one has a play and its just a mess...

foul ball, play on.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Wade,
We don't know the level of play - but the description did not sound like any extra effort was required from F1 to get to the ball.
By asking what fielder SHOULD have fielded the ball, in the small world of my mind, a fielder has a likelyhood of making a play & getting the out.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wade,
We don't know the level of play - but the description did not sound like any extra effort was required from F1 to get to the ball.
By asking what fielder SHOULD have fielded the ball, in the small world of my mind, a fielder has a likelyhood of making a play & getting the out.
That is true.. but these little fly ball things with everything a mess there in that area are real tough to determine. If someone was getting there, its INT and out. If not.. its not an out.

The point is, an umpire cant really get this one wrong. Its his judgment and he would have standing with either foul ball/int... this type of play isnt in the INT/OBS category, where someone is getting dinged.. either INT or OBS.. its either INT or Foul and noone gets dinged.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

I'm truly not trying to pick on you, DwBrown70, but I'm curious about something.

When you were in school, did you turn in assignments that contained "sentences" in which more than 100 words were strung together with no punctuation whatsoever?

If so, did your teachers have anything to say about it?
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary

No sh!t!!! I am still not sure what the question is.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
DW,

Thanks for making that into a post that can be understood.

Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Spell check should be a friend also.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
. , ? ! ; ( ) ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ cat

Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

With grammar and spelling on your mind, you'll never look like a behind.

Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Looks more like a dead mule to me.