The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 02:30pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post

You just defined "stationary". The elbows are moving with the hips.
This is a stupid directive. Your state is not the first governing body to issue it; but it's still incredibly stupid. They are defining something with the contradiction of the word. "Stationary" = "moving". Dumb.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 02:33pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
4-24-8 leaves a lot of room for an official to call a violation.

b. The aggressiveness with which the arms and elbows are swung would cause injury to another player if contacted.
Hard to see how pivoting normally could be construed as overly-aggressive.

Plus, 9-13-3 tells us that elbow movement that results from total body movement is NOT to be considered excessive.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 02:37pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
...that is NOT our "direction" in the State of Washington.

You just defined "stationary". The elbows are moving with the hips...they are NOT moving independently from the pivot...therefore, they are stationary even though they are moving...get it.
I'm guessing that somebody in WA doesn't like the new POE and is trying to gut it by interpretation. Oh well!
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 02:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Player Control Foul Or Intentional Foul ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
New POE (Contact above the shoulders)
Our local interpreter just glossed this over at our preseason interpretation (new rules) meeting. He just basically covered exactly what the NFHS Power-point stated, no more, no less, and left it at that. We did away with our December meeting a few years ago (too many complaints about too many meetings) so we'll probably have about 325 interpretations of this Point of Emphasis during the early part of the season in my little corner of the Constitution State.

With the new Point of Emphasis, can we have a player, with the ball, pivoting in such a way so that his elbows pivot the same as his hips, strike an opponent in the head with his elbow, and "only" get charged with a player control foul? I honestly don't know the answer. I'll just call something, only God knows what, it when I see it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 02:57pm.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 03:00pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Our local interpreter just glossed this over at our preseason interpretation (new rules) meeting. He just basically covered exactly what the NFHS Power-point stated, no more, no less, and left it at that. We did away with our December meeting a few years ago (too many complaints about too many meetings) so we'll probably have about 325 interpretations of this Point of Emphasis during the early part of the season in my little corner of the Constitution State.

With the new Point of Emphasis, can we have a player, with the ball, pivoting in such a way so that his elbows pivot the same as his hips, strike an opponent in the head with his elbow, and "only" get charged with a player control foul? I honestly don't know the answer. I'll just call something, only God knows what, it when I see it.
I'm going with intentional for the reason I stated earlier. If we are supposed to view his elbow as stationary just bc it moves at the same speed as torso then there should not be three levels, only two and that would be stationary and excessive.

Last edited by jeremy341a; Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 03:21pm.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
then there should only be three levels and that would be stationary and excessive.
Must be the new math.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 03:21pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Must be the new math.
Yeah I butchered that one. It has been edited.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 03:42pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
With the new Point of Emphasis, can we have a player, with the ball, pivoting in such a way so that his elbows pivot the same as his hips, strike an opponent in the head with his elbow, and "only" get charged with a player control foul?
According to my state, no: that would be an INT.

According to Washington state, it seems yes: that's a stationary elbow.

How two stationary non-abutting objects could possibly collide is beyond me.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 04:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Impossible ...

Quote:
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
According to my state, no: that would be an INT.

According to Washington state, it seems yes: that's a stationary elbow.

Stationary is a poor choice of words given the discussion around what they want called. As described by the NFHS, it is as Washington is doing...elbows moving no faster than the body are considered "stationary" (read as fixed) relative to the body. Moving faster than the body, intentional.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 04:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Color Me Confused ...

Quote:
With the new Point of Emphasis, can we have a player, with the ball, pivoting in such a way so that his elbows pivot the same as his hips, strike an opponent in the head with his elbow, and "only" get charged with a player control foul?
Quote:
According to my state, no: that would be an INT. According to Washington state, it seems yes: that's a stationary elbow.
Rock, paper, scissors?

Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 04:25pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
As described by the NFHS, it is as Washington is doing.
I disagree. "An elbow in movement but not excessive [that makes contact with an opponent above the shoulders] should be an intentional foul".

I honestly don't understand how you can interpret to mean that a non-excessively swung elbow to the head is a PC foul or incidental.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 04:34pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I disagree. "An elbow in movement but not excessive [that makes contact with an opponent above the shoulders] should be an intentional foul".

I honestly don't understand how you can interpret to mean that a non-excessively swung elbow to the head is a PC foul or incidental.
Player A chins the ball, and pivots. When they pivot the elbows do not swing faster than the shoulders or torso, contact is made with defensive player above the shoulders. This can't be intentional. The movement wasn't excessive. I have a player control, and if that little guard wants to come up and get right up on the offensive player I may have incidental.

Last edited by OKREF; Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 04:36pm.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post

"Movement", as described elsewhere, means faster than the torso. It doesn't mean absolute movement. (The word movement is a poor choice of words and it isn't the first time the NFHS has poorly worded a directive and it will not be the last).

Not in "movement" relative to the torso is a common foul (or incidental).

Excessive is slinging them around vigorously....which becomes intentional or flagrant upon contact depending on the degree.

Don't get hung up on the word but look at all the descriptions of what they want called.

See slide #19 of this year's NFHS presentation....it shows what they mean by movement....the graphics used as an example show a player who's body doesn't turn but the arms do to demonstrate movement.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 05:42pm.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 04:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Colorado has the same direction as Washington, and it was stated explicitly that they clarified with NFHS, and used the NFHS powerpoint.