The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Contact above the shoulders (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93269-contact-above-shoulders.html)

OKREF Mon Dec 17, 2012 05:10pm

Contact above the shoulders

Just heard from our state association

CONTACT ABOVE THE SHOULDERS: Contact above the shoulders by a stationary elbow may be incidental or may be a common foul. However; contact above the shoulders with a moving elbow will be a foul. This foul may be intentional or may be an excessive flagrant foul. Again--contact above the shoulders with a moving elbow will be a foul.

Is this the same with other states direction?

DLH17 Mon Dec 17, 2012 05:12pm

Yes.

I'm still unclear what a "contact with a stationary elbow" might be.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 17, 2012 05:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 867324)
Just heard from our state association

CONTACT ABOVE THE SHOULDERS: Contact above the shoulders by a stationary elbow may be incidental or may be a common foul. However; contact above the shoulders with a moving elbow will be a foul. This foul may be intentional or may be an excessive flagrant foul. Again--contact above the shoulders with a moving elbow will be a foul.

Is this the same with other states direction?

I have heard that this is what the FED wants, even if it didn't get communicated very well during the pre-season meetings (and is different from the NCAA rule, I think).

MD Longhorn Mon Dec 17, 2012 05:21pm

So ... I'm guarding Dirk Nowitski. As he goes up for a rebound, I wait until he's coming down, and jump, headbutting his elbow.

Intentional foul on him, right?

(Assuming I can jump high enough that my head is higher than Dirk's shoulders... and iffy proposition at best).

DLH17 Mon Dec 17, 2012 05:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 867327)
So ... I'm guarding Dirk Nowitski. As he goes up for a rebound, I wait until he's coming down, and jump, headbutting his elbow.

(Assuming I can jump high enough that my head is higher than Dirk's shoulders... and iffy proposition at best).

"Stationary elbow" sitch?

OKREF Mon Dec 17, 2012 05:23pm

My thought is that a stationary elbow would be when a player "chins" the ball and then pivots and the elbows aren't moving faster than the shoulders. Contact that happens with this action would either be incidental or a common foul. If a player "leads" with the elbow, and they are moving faster than the shoulders I would have either intentional or flagrant.

JRutledge Mon Dec 17, 2012 05:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 867327)

No. If anything it might be a foul on you if he was vertical and you came under him as he was coming back to the floor. Actually it could be nothing as this is clearly a normal action not trying to cause contact or hit someone above the shoulders.

Peace

BillyMac Mon Dec 17, 2012 05:25pm

More Choices ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 867324)
Contact above the shoulders with a moving elbow will be a foul. This foul may be intentional or may be an excessive flagrant foul.

How about a player control foul, or a common foul?

OKREF Mon Dec 17, 2012 05:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 867333)
How about a player control foul, or a common foul?

That is addressed in our direction. If the elbow is stationary it is a common foul. If moving it is either intentional or flagrant.

MD Longhorn Mon Dec 17, 2012 05:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 867330)
"Stationary elbow" sitch?

Well, he's coming down, so the elbow couldn't be stationary.

DLH17 Mon Dec 17, 2012 05:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 867336)
Well, he's coming down, so the elbow couldn't be stationary.

Ya, I hear you...the elbow is "moving" downward. I'm wondering if "stationary" by rule means contact with the elbow is a result of the defensive player being in the wrong place at the wrong time as described in the Nowitzki rebounding scenario. I've yet to read or hear scenario that involves a "stationary" elbow. Hoping for some clarification through "case play" or hypothetical.

OKREF Mon Dec 17, 2012 05:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 867331)
My thought is that a stationary elbow would be when a player "chins" the ball and then pivots and the elbows aren't moving faster than the shoulders. Contact that happens with this action would either be incidental or a common foul. If a player "leads" with the elbow, and they are moving faster than the shoulders I would have either intentional or flagrant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 867339)
Ya, I hear you...the elbow is "moving" downward. I'm wondering if "stationary" by rule means contact with the elbow is a result of the defensive player being in the wrong place at the wrong time as described in the Nowitzki rebounding scenario. I've yet to read or hear scenario that involves a "stationary" elbow. Hoping for some clarification through "case play" or hypothetical.

Best I can do

DLH17 Mon Dec 17, 2012 05:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 867340)
Best I can do

I'm good with it. Good discussion.

Adam Mon Dec 17, 2012 06:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 867331)

This is the exact direction we got from our state clinician, and we were told it came directly from the Fed (via powerpoint and a clarifying phone call.) However, that is not the direction being given by other states. Yet another poorly worded directive from the NFHS.

packersowner Mon Dec 17, 2012 06:20pm

Our assignor told us that its imperative to watch the trunk rotation vs. the pivot foot rotation. If you rotate the trunk and you have contact, it's a foul. If you have a pivot foot rotation, that its legal and in some cases might be a foul on the defense based on how they are guarding. :confused:

No matter what I struggle with this one - I have seen it 2 or 3 times and probably gotten it wrong 2-3 times. I am now focusing on getting the first foul that generally occurs which is why the offense begins to swing their elbows to begin with. Then trying to focus on whether we have violation.

I get the intent of why its a POE this year - but it really has put a lot of doubt in my mind.

Thanks for the discussion on this.