The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Turning shoulders

Had the plate in a recent Legion game using NFHS rules. Working 1st time with an experienced varsity official, in a makeup game. Both teams are out of the playoffs, coaches just want to get in an extra game.

1st inning, R1. Pitcher steps in, hands are a part, ball in pitching hand behind his back, he is not set. He quickly turns shoulders. looks runner back to 1st. He then looks to the plate, hands are still apart not set, then again turns quickly to 1st to look the runner back.

After the inning my partner informs the coach that, if this occured during the regular HS season he would have balked the pitcher.

I questioned him away from the coach. He explained that the spirit and intent of the rule allows the pitcher one turn of the shoulder to look back the runner. Multiple shoulder turns are not allowed, even if the pitcher has not come set.
I've looked in Fed and OBR rule and case books. I can't find anything to justify his interpretation. Am I missing something ??????
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 09:36pm
In Time Out

Your partner is misinformed.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeeRef View Post
Had the plate in a recent Legion game using NFHS rules. Working 1st time with an experienced varsity official, in a makeup game. Both teams are out of the playoffs, coaches just want to get in an extra game.

1st inning, R1. Pitcher steps in, hands are a part, ball in pitching hand behind his back, he is not set. He quickly turns shoulders. looks runner back to 1st. He then looks to the plate, hands are still apart not set, then again turns quickly to 1st to look the runner back.

After the inning my partner informs the coach that, if this occured during the regular HS season he would have balked the pitcher.

I questioned him away from the coach. He explained that the spirit and intent of the rule allows the pitcher one turn of the shoulder to look back the runner. Multiple shoulder turns are not allowed, even if the pitcher has not come set.
I've looked in Fed and OBR rule and case books. I can't find anything to justify his interpretation. Am I missing something ??????
Hey Jerzee, I was surprised to read that you play NHFS rules for balks. We use OBR for Legion Ball, with the exception of substitutions and sliding rules. No speed up rules either.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Am I missing something ??????
Yes, an informed partner.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup View Post
Hey Jerzee, I was surprised to read that you play NHFS rules for balks. We use OBR for Legion Ball, with the exception of substitutions and sliding rules.
You didn't read that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeeRef
After the inning my partner informs the coach that, if this occurred during the regular HS season he would have balked the pitcher.
There is no FED support for limiting F1 to a single "look" to 1B. There are restrictions imposed about "jerking" his shoulders around to look, but those apply to OBR as well. Case 6.2.2E clearly implies that F1 may legally look over "4 or 5 times."
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
There is no FED support for limiting F1 to a single "look" to 1B. There are restrictions imposed about "jerking" his shoulders around to look,
As long as it's not accompanied by any hand / arm movement, the pitcher can "jerk" his shoulders all he wants in FED (while the hands are apart).
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
As long as it's not accompanied by any hand / arm movement, the pitcher can "jerk" his shoulders all he wants in FED (while the hands are apart).
As I said, FED imposes restrictions on when/how F1 may "jerk" his shoulders.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Had the plate in a recent Legion game using NFHS rules. ..............
Stop right there, my friend. Legion uses OBR and only OBR per National Legion Council. If your area is using FED, then they are wrong!
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 08:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Stop right there, my friend. Legion uses OBR and only OBR per National Legion Council. If your area is using FED, then they are wrong!
Yeah, I think, as the OP stated, this was just an excuse for a couple of HS teams to get another game in after running out of "points" for the year. They probably are just calling it "Legion" to put a name on it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
As I said, FED imposes restrictions on when/how F1 may "jerk" his shoulders.
Does that mean that OBR allows multiple jerks of the shoulders with arm/hand movement after the hands have come together?
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 09:10am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post
Does that mean that OBR allows multiple jerks of the shoulders with arm/hand movement after the hands have come together?
no
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Ozzy

As I have intoned before the Portland Area played all Legion Games under NFHS rules until last year.

The American Legion Council demanded that to be called "Legion" games had to be played under OBR and be 9 inning games.

So starting last year over 40 "Legion" teams founded the Oregon Independent Baseball Association. This group playes NFHS rules and does not allow graduated seniors to play.

This year four more long term Legion teams left AL baseball and joined the OIBA.

OIBA is limited by school (no building mega teams by mixing schools) and therefore the quality of play is far below normal Legion programs.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Your partner is thinking of the old FED rule that restricted the pitcher from turning his shoulders before he moved to the set position. I'd be interested in knowing what chapter your partner is registered with.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post
OBR makes no mention of shoulder jerks (or other movement), whether or not the hands are joined. Either way, it's a balk to feint a throw to first. What makes a move a feint is up to the umpire. By practice, more movement is allowed before the pitcher joins his hands than after. The slower and shorter the movement, the less likely it is to be a balk.

In FED, the pitcher can move the shoulder (only -- if there's other movement it could be judged to be a feint) as much, as fast, and as far as he wants until the hands are joined. Once the hands are joined, no mevement is allowed (by rule).
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 11:47am
Stop staring at me swan.

There are many legion teams in MN who use FED offense and legion defense until they get to the playoffs. With reentry, it does get more players in the game, etc...