The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 10:10pm
C'mon man!!

<Facedesk> Oh the scoring table

Had the worst scorers table I have ever had. Caused all kinds of grief. Where to start?
43 gets a fifth foul. Table makes it known after a live ball or two. Go to the table to figure out what is going on. Notify the coach, start the interval and then notify the player. Sub comes in. A few plays later, table calls us over and says we gave a foul to the wrong player. 43 only has 4. Back into the game she comes. Horn for subs was terrible, such as before first of 2 free throws or not at all.

AP arrow. Holy guacamole, they could not get it straight. It actually caused my partner to give the ball to the wrong team which they inbounded. Blew the play dead and got together. I know this is not a correctable error once the throw in was over but my partner said it was, and gave the ball back to the original correct team.

Now to the timeouts. Into the fourth quarter we have ANOTHER time out (which were not shown on the scoreboard). I am like "How many does each team get?" So I go to the table during one of the timeouts. And she tells me that someone told her that there were 3 fulls and 5 30s for each team. So I said how many has each team used? Both had used 3 30s and 1 full. So I guess they each technically had 1 TO left. I informed both coaches that they had one full left and corrected the scorers.

Needless to say, I was glad to have that game over with. I think the final score was 24 to 17 or something like that. It was was good practice for game management though. And under the circumstances we did pretty well.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 12:51am
This IS My Social Life

Does Mary Wanna?

If you happen to be in a prominent Pacific Northwest state, it might have something to do with the new law they passed out there. I'd imagine "table officials" don't have to pass a pre-game drug test.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 07:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

Is That A Whistle In Your Pocket, Or Are You Just Happy to See Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
AP arrow. Holy guacamole, they could not get it straight. It actually caused my partner to give the ball to the wrong team which they inbounded.
What's that Pretender's song? Whistle in pocket?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 08:44am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
AP arrow. Holy guacamole, they could not get it straight. It actually caused my partner to give the ball to the wrong team which they inbounded.
Why didn't you or your P KNOW who should have had the ball? If you did, get together with the table and change it.

This is not uncommon at junior levels or with novice tables. You can easily take this variable out of the picture.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 08:49am
Administrator

Quote:
Had the worst scorers table I have ever had. Caused all kinds of grief. Where to start?
43 gets a fifth foul. Table makes it known after a live ball or two. Go to the table to figure out what is going on. Notify the coach, start the interval and then notify the player. Sub comes in. A few plays later, table calls us over and says we gave a foul to the wrong player. 43 only has 4. Back into the game she comes. Horn for subs was terrible, such as before first of 2 free throws or not at all.

AP arrow. Holy guacamole, they could not get it straight. It actually caused my partner to give the ball to the wrong team which they inbounded. Blew the play dead and got together. I know this is not a correctable error once the throw in was over but my partner said it was, and gave the ball back to the original correct team.

Now to the timeouts. Into the fourth quarter we have ANOTHER time out (which were not shown on the scoreboard). I am like "How many does each team get?" So I go to the table during one of the timeouts. And she tells me that someone told her that there were 3 fulls and 5 30s for each team. So I said how many has each team used? Both had used 3 30s and 1 full. So I guess they each technically had 1 TO left. I informed both coaches that they had one full left and corrected the scorers.

Needless to say, I was glad to have that game over with. I think the final score was 24 to 17 or something like that. It was was good practice for game management though. And under the circumstances we did pretty well.

Sharpshooternes:

Since when do you let the Scorer tell you that you gave the foul to the wrong player?

I would have stuck to my guns and not allowed the do-over.

Correct the Scorebook, but not inform a HC of the number of TOs he has left. Only inform him when he as used his last TO.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 08:58am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

Where is CHSeagle when you need him?
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Sharpshooternes:

Since when do you let the Scorer tell you that you gave the foul to the wrong player?

Correct the Scorebook, but not inform a HC of the number of TOs he has left. Only inform him when he as used his last TO.

MTD, Sr.
Possibly:

I think he meant the book put it on the wrong line, and then realized it later. That's a book error that can be corrected.

Generally agreed, but (a) maybe he meant it was identified before the throw in was complete, even if the whistle didn't get blown in time, and (b) you don't want to get in a argument with your partner on the court

Generally agreed, but given that the number was wrong to begin with, setting all the correct number seems like a good idea. Also, the officials should be aware of the number (especially of 30s -- it's not that hard to count to 2)
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
What's that Pretender's song? Whistle in pocket?
...and here I thought I was the only one that still did that.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sharpshooternes:

MTD, Sr.
Well said. I especially like that TO notification.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 01:35pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_15 View Post
...and here I thought I was the only one that still did that.
I carry a spare whistle in my pocket for every game. I will use it to keep track of the possession arrow in some situations, namely when I'm working 7th/8th/9th grade games with a 'substandard' table crew.

Plus it did come in handy once when my smitty loop broke off my shirt and my whistle and smitty lanyard ended up going under the bleachers.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
I carry a spare whistle in my pocket for every game. I will use it to keep track of the possession arrow in some situations, namely when I'm working 7th/8th/9th grade games with a 'substandard' table crew.

Plus it did come in handy once when my smitty loop broke off my shirt and my whistle and smitty lanyard ended up going under the bleachers.
That's funny! I have carried the same whistle in my pocket for over 20 years. YES it still works and is an actual spare whistle, but I haven't had to utilize it in about 10 years. Because I bite the whistle in my mouth, one night I cracked it during a game, but hadn't realized it. First time I hit the whistle it let out a sound that sounded more like popped bag pipes than a game whistle. I took that old (and still square) Fox40 out of my pocket and used it till the end of the half. It sounded better than the damn new whistle anyway. My partner even asked me if I was using something different because it was so loud. When I told him what I had done, he couldn't stop laughing.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 03:41pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Why didn't you or your P KNOW who should have had the ball? If you did, get together with the table and change it.

This is not uncommon at junior levels or with novice tables. You can easily take this variable out of the picture.
Yeah, I knew and signaled the proper direction and color and then started watching the off ball stuff. it wasn't until I heard a coach yelling it was their ball that I noticed he had given it to the wrong player. We actually had them right for the rest of the game (except that one). A good rule of thumb would have been what ever the table shows, go the other direction.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 03:48pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Sharpshooternes:

MTD, Sr.
They gave the foul to the wrong player in the book, not I said a number and they told me I had it wrong.

As for the timeouts, I don't normally tell coaches they have one time out left. I only tell them when they have none left. The only reason I did this time because the coaches had been asking the scorers' table how many time outs they had left. In this case an extra 3 each, I rectified it and informed them they only had 1 left of 5 , not 4 of 8.

And as for the do over, my partner is a seasoned varsity official, and let's all admit to ourselves, you can't advance in this profession unless someone puts in a good word for you to the committee or whatever, so the less enemies there are for me the better.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 03:52pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Possibly:

I think he meant the book put it on the wrong line, and then realized it later. That's a book error that can be corrected.

Generally agreed, but (a) maybe he meant it was identified before the throw in was complete, even if the whistle didn't get blown in time, and (b) you don't want to get in a argument with your partner on the court

Generally agreed, but given that the number was wrong to begin with, setting all the correct number seems like a good idea. Also, the officials should be aware of the number (especially of 30s -- it's not that hard to count to 2)
Yes to all of the above Bob. Except I didn't realize until after the throw in was complete. Something didn't seem right with the timeouts as both had used a few of each, that is what made me ask the scorers' table what the deal was.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

I was sitting on the bench doing stats for our varsity girls on Thursday night at an away game.Watching this table work was like watching Amateur hour at the comedy club.In the first 4 minutes we had at least a half dozen stoppages for clock issues.The boys game was relatively clean except for a dispute over 2/3 point shot and the clock operator not starting the clock with 4.5 seconds to go in the fourth in a two point game.