The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Substitute Deceitful

During lengthy substitution ball is put in play and Team B on defense only has 4 players. I was hoping B5 would just walk onto court and we would continue on. Then there is a turnover and B5 comes onto court and gets out ahead of everyone and catches long pass.. WHACK... I believe it's player T, but I can't find rule reference.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 11:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Case 10.1.9
Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 07:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

Case 10.1.9 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Case 10.1.9
Following a charged time-out Team B is still with their
coach on the sideline when the official sounds the whistle to indicate play will
resume. Four players of B return to the court just in time to play defense as A1
attempts an unsuccessful three-pointer. B1 rebounds and throws a long pass to
B5 who enters the court just in time to catch the pass. RULING: A technical foul
is immediately charged to Team B for failing to have all players return to the court
at approximately the same time following a time-out or intermission. While it is
true the entire team may be off the court while the procedure is being used, once
a team responds, all players must enter the court at approximately the same time.

Note: I've never minded copying, and pasting, for those who may not have a rulebook, or casebook (players, coaches, fans), and for those officials who may be at their computer without their books, but eventually my 2011-12 PDF NFHS rulebook, and casebook, is going to become outdated, and I'm not a great typist (keyboarder). I sure hope that someone else takes over my Forum duties. An esteemed Forum member did offer me their password to use the NFHS Arbiter site, but the new setup was not very conducive to perusing the books. I would share the name of this esteemed member with you, but then I'd have to kill you. Thanks esteemed member.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 07:46am.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

"...B1 rebounds and throws a long pass to
B5 who enters the court just in time to catch the pass..."

Does this mean the player was standing/sitting out of bounds near the bench OR actually on the court inside the side line being sneaky?
Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
"...B1 rebounds and throws a long pass to
B5 who enters the court just in time to catch the pass..."

Does this mean the player was standing/sitting out of bounds near the bench OR actually on the court inside the side line being sneaky?
The former.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Once you start the game 5 on 4, a bench player running onto the court has committed a technical foul.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
Once you start the game 5 on 4, a bench player running onto the court has committed a technical foul.
Not always (ignoring the oxymoron "bench player"). See 10.3.2
Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 10:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Even if it's not deceitful, there is no obvious advantage gained, and if it's not after a timeout?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 10:10am.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 10:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Peppermint Twist ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Even if it's not deceitful, there is no obvious advantage gained, and if it's not after a timeout?
What a thought provoking question, BillyMac. You are obviously as intelligent as you are handsome. What if it's not deceitful, there is no obvious advantage gained, and if it is after a timeout?

Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 12:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Not necessarily. To whom does the case play say to charge this technical foul?
Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

10.3.2 SITUATION B:

After a lengthy substitution process involving multiple substitutions for both Team A and Team B, A5 goes to the bench and remains there, mistakenly believing he/she has been replaced. The ball is put in play even though Team A has only four players on the court. Team A is bringing the ball into A's frontcourt when the coach of Team A realizes they have only four players. The coach yells for A5 to return and he/she sprints directly onto the court and catches up with the play.

RULING: No technical foul is charged to A5. A5's return to the court was not deceitful, nor did it provide A5 an unfair positioning advantage on the court.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 01:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Make The Call ...

Quote:
What if it's not deceitful, there is no obvious advantage gained, and if it is after a timeout?
After a lengthy substitution process involving multiple substitutions for both Team A and Team B, after a charged timeout for Team A, A5 goes to the bench and remains there, mistakenly believing he/she has been replaced. The ball is put in play even though Team A has only four players on the court. Team A is bringing the ball into A's frontcourt when the coach of Team A realizes they have only four players. The coach yells for A5 to return and he/she sprints directly onto the court and catches up with the play.

Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After a lengthy substitution process involving multiple substitutions for both Team A and Team B, after a charged timeout for Team A, A5 goes to the bench and remains there, mistakenly believing he/she has been replaced. The ball is put in play even though Team A has only four players on the court. Team A is bringing the ball into A's frontcourt when the coach of Team A realizes they have only four players. The coach yells for A5 to return and he/she sprints directly onto the court and catches up with the play.
You can't have both simultaneously. If play is being resumed after a TO, then enforce that part of the rule.