The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Substitute Deceitful (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92974-substitute-deceitful.html)

Triad zebra Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:30pm

Substitute Deceitful

During lengthy substitution ball is put in play and Team B on defense only has 4 players. I was hoping B5 would just walk onto court and we would continue on. Then there is a turnover and B5 comes onto court and gets out ahead of everyone and catches long pass.. WHACK... I believe it's player T, but I can't find rule reference.

Adam Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:33pm

Case 10.1.9

BillyMac Tue Nov 20, 2012 07:32am

Case 10.1.9 ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 862846)
Case 10.1.9

Following a charged time-out Team B is still with their
coach on the sideline when the official sounds the whistle to indicate play will
resume. Four players of B return to the court just in time to play defense as A1
attempts an unsuccessful three-pointer. B1 rebounds and throws a long pass to
B5 who enters the court just in time to catch the pass. RULING: A technical foul
is immediately charged to Team B for failing to have all players return to the court
at approximately the same time following a time-out or intermission. While it is
true the entire team may be off the court while the procedure is being used, once
a team responds, all players must enter the court at approximately the same time.

Note: I've never minded copying, and pasting, for those who may not have a rulebook, or casebook (players, coaches, fans), and for those officials who may be at their computer without their books, but eventually my 2011-12 PDF NFHS rulebook, and casebook, is going to become outdated, and I'm not a great typist (keyboarder). I sure hope that someone else takes over my Forum duties. An esteemed Forum member did offer me their password to use the NFHS Arbiter site, but the new setup was not very conducive to perusing the books. I would share the name of this esteemed member with you, but then I'd have to kill you. Thanks esteemed member.

DLH17 Tue Nov 20, 2012 09:42am

"...B1 rebounds and throws a long pass to
B5 who enters the court just in time to catch the pass..."

Does this mean the player was standing/sitting out of bounds near the bench OR actually on the court inside the side line being sneaky?

bob jenkins Tue Nov 20, 2012 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 862878)
"...B1 rebounds and throws a long pass to
B5 who enters the court just in time to catch the pass..."

Does this mean the player was standing/sitting out of bounds near the bench OR actually on the court inside the side line being sneaky?

The former.

Tio Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:02am

Once you start the game 5 on 4, a bench player running onto the court has committed a technical foul.

bob jenkins Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tio (Post 862888)
Once you start the game 5 on 4, a bench player running onto the court has committed a technical foul.

Not always (ignoring the oxymoron "bench player"). See 10.3.2

BillyMac Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:05am

Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:

Even if it's not deceitful, there is no obvious advantage gained, and if it's not after a timeout?

BillyMac Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:15am

Peppermint Twist ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 862890)
Even if it's not deceitful, there is no obvious advantage gained, and if it's not after a timeout?

What a thought provoking question, BillyMac. You are obviously as intelligent as you are handsome. What if it's not deceitful, there is no obvious advantage gained, and if it is after a timeout?

Adam Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:31pm

Quote:

Not necessarily. To whom does the case play say to charge this technical foul?

PG_Ref Tue Nov 20, 2012 01:01pm

Quote:

10.3.2 SITUATION B:

After a lengthy substitution process involving multiple substitutions for both Team A and Team B, A5 goes to the bench and remains there, mistakenly believing he/she has been replaced. The ball is put in play even though Team A has only four players on the court. Team A is bringing the ball into A's frontcourt when the coach of Team A realizes they have only four players. The coach yells for A5 to return and he/she sprints directly onto the court and catches up with the play.

RULING: No technical foul is charged to A5. A5's return to the court was not deceitful, nor did it provide A5 an unfair positioning advantage on the court.

BillyMac Tue Nov 20, 2012 01:13pm

You Make The Call ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 862891)
What if it's not deceitful, there is no obvious advantage gained, and if it is after a timeout?

After a lengthy substitution process involving multiple substitutions for both Team A and Team B, after a charged timeout for Team A, A5 goes to the bench and remains there, mistakenly believing he/she has been replaced. The ball is put in play even though Team A has only four players on the court. Team A is bringing the ball into A's frontcourt when the coach of Team A realizes they have only four players. The coach yells for A5 to return and he/she sprints directly onto the court and catches up with the play.

bob jenkins Tue Nov 20, 2012 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 862918)
After a lengthy substitution process involving multiple substitutions for both Team A and Team B, after a charged timeout for Team A, A5 goes to the bench and remains there, mistakenly believing he/she has been replaced. The ball is put in play even though Team A has only four players on the court. Team A is bringing the ball into A's frontcourt when the coach of Team A realizes they have only four players. The coach yells for A5 to return and he/she sprints directly onto the court and catches up with the play.

You can't have both simultaneously. If play is being resumed after a TO, then enforce that part of the rule.