The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 15, 2004, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Just when you think it will never happen: Bases loaded
bottom of 7, tie score, one out. The runner on first is now
replaced with a pinch runner Bubba. Bubba had already pinch hit earlier in the game and was withdrawn and now comes in to pinch run and is of course an illegal substitute. The defense knows. They wait, hoping to turn a double play but instead they hit the batter forcing in what appears to be a game ending run. The defense now appeals, saying the runner at first was an illegal substitute, should be declared out #2, ejected, and R3 and R2 returned to third and second, no run scores...batter hit by pitch takes first. Two outs. That is how the blues ruled. Federation rules only...I'm looking for discussion
and rule book/case book/official interp support.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2004, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

FED rule 3-1-1D.

Any outs made on the play stand, and all runners who were not put out must return to the base that they occupied at the time of the pitch. It looks like the right call was made. Except there is one problem, Bubba should not be ejected for an illegal subutition. He should just be restricted to the dugout for the remainder of the game. It is a misprint in the FED rule book. It is there because some states have rules about players being suspended for the next game because they werer ejected. FED wants to avoid players sitting out games if they didn't do anything to warant an ejection.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2004, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dpomeroy
Just when you think it will never happen: Bases loaded
bottom of 7, tie score, one out. The runner on first is now
replaced with a pinch runner Bubba. Bubba had already pinch hit earlier in the game and was withdrawn and now comes in to pinch run and is of course an illegal substitute. The defense knows. They wait, hoping to turn a double play but instead they hit the batter forcing in what appears to be a game ending run. The defense now appeals, saying the runner at first was an illegal substitute, should be declared out #2, ejected, and R3 and R2 returned to third and second, no run scores...batter hit by pitch takes first. Two outs. That is how the blues ruled. Federation rules only...I'm looking for discussion
and rule book/case book/official interp support.
See PENALTY under 3.1.1 in FED. "If a player should score a run, advance, or cause a play to be made that allows another runner(s) to advance, discovery must be made by an umpire or either team before the next pitch to the next batter of either team. This would invalidate the action of the illegal offensive player. Any out(s) on the play stands and all other runner(s) return to the base(s) occupied at time of pitch. Sounds to me like ruling by field umpires was correct. However, I would be a bit embarrased if presented with this situation becauase I am keeping a record of substitutes and I should not allow a substitute runner who is ineligible.