The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

re-substitute

NFHS

Between a 2 shot free throw, as T I beckon in 3 substitutes for Team A and 3 players are leaving the court from Team A. I step back down to my free throw line extended position and a fourth Team A player is substituted for. Coach from Team B says that the fourth Team A substitute is one of the original 3 substitutes re-entering the game.
I didn't have a clue if she was one of the original 3 players to leave the court. Not really sure if she left the court or not as my back was to the coaches as I picked up the 3 new entries and followed them onto the court.

Do you make a mental note of faces or numbers as players leave the court? Is there any other way to remember or determine who has left the court so you don't let them re-enter?

Don't need the chastisement for making the mental mistake, just looking for anybody's ideas so it won't happen again.

We did get it resolved correctly thanks to my observant partner.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 07:21pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
NFHS

Between a 2 shot free throw, as T I beckon in 3 substitutes for Team A and 3 players are leaving the court from Team A. I step back down to my free throw line extended position and a fourth Team A player is substituted for. Coach from Team B says that the fourth Team A substitute is one of the original 3 substitutes re-entering the game.
I didn't have a clue if she was one of the original 3 players to leave the court. Not really sure if she left the court or not as my back was to the coaches as I picked up the 3 new entries and followed them onto the court.

Do you make a mental note of faces or numbers as players leave the court? Is there any other way to remember or determine who has left the court so you don't let them re-enter?

Don't need the chastisement for making the mental mistake, just looking for anybody's ideas so it won't happen again.

We did get it resolved correctly thanks to my observant partner.
I so rarely make mental notes about the players leaving. I've seen some officials wave it substitutes and then not even look to see how many players on the court leave.

Other methods you could use are to ask the scorer's table to write down numbers coming out. Also, you can also count on your partner. Each of you can take a team. R -> H, U -> V.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Ask the scorer.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Using the scorer works (or should work) for most of the game.

When it's near the end and a team is doing the "offense / defense" substitution, I do try to keep track.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post

That is not your job. Go to the scorekeeper......