The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Throw In Violation

A1’s throw-in hits an official who is on the court. After the ball hits the official, A1 enters the court and screens B2 such that A2 is the first to touch the ball.

Fed ruling?

NCAA ruling?

(assume that the screen is otherwise legal -- time and distance, not moving unless in the same path and direction, within the frame ...)
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure what the issue is here...seems pretty straight forward legal play unless I'm overlooking something?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Although 4.4.4 deals with a live ball already in t/c inbounds, I think it would apply for throw-ins as well.

The thrower cant come get it because it touched an official though. And if I'm envisioning the play correctly, what is the official doing on the court in the first place?
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 04:12pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Play on as far as I can tell.

The official is part of the inbound court when it hits him, so the pass becomes a bounce pass of sorts. The ball has been released by the TerI, so A1 can come back inbounds. Still ok. The screen was legal.

The only thing I can say is that's it's an unfortunate thing to be hit by the ball while inbounds.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Although 4.4.4 deals with a live ball already in t/c inbounds, I think it would apply for throw-ins as well.

The thrower cant come get it because it touched an official though. And if I'm envisioning the play correctly, what is the official doing on the court in the first place?
There are some guys around here teaching/promoting that the trail be inbounds on sideline throwins. Not sure why. Doesn't make sense to me.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
A1’s throw-in hits an official who is on the court. After the ball hits the official, A1 enters the court and screens B2 such that A2 is the first to touch the ball.

Fed ruling?

NCAA ruling?

(assume that the screen is otherwise legal -- time and distance, not moving unless in the same path and direction, within the frame ...)
FED Rule 9-2-6: The thrown ball shall not touch the thrower in the court before it touches or is touched by another player.

NCAA Rule 9-5.1.f: (The thrower-in shall not) Touch the playing court or touch the ball in the playing court before it has touched another player.

Am I mis-reading / mis-interpreting the first part of the NCAA rule? NCAA would have the play be a violation?
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 07:41am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
FED Rule 9-2-6: The thrown ball shall not touch the thrower in the court before it touches or is touched by another player.

NCAA Rule 9-5.1.f: (The thrower-in shall not) Touch the playing court or touch the ball in the playing court before it has touched another player.

Am I mis-reading / mis-interpreting the first part of the NCAA rule? NCAA would have the play be a violation?
So a thrower-in must stay out of bounds until the ball touches another player? If so, that's ridiculous.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 07:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
So a thrower-in must stay out of bounds until the ball touches another player? If so, that's ridiculous.
I'm sure it's supposed to be read as 2 separate acts before and after the "or". Just poorly written.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm sure it's supposed to be read as 2 separate acts before and after the "or". Just poorly written.
But there's also the (equally poorly written) 9-5.1.e: Carry or hand the ball to a teammate who is on the playing court.

It seems to me that either the "Carry" (in e) and "Touch the playing court" (in "f") are redundant or the "Touch the playing court" really is a violation, or the "Carry" means something other than what I think it does.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 08:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
There are some guys around here teaching/promoting that the trail be inbounds on sideline throwins. Not sure why. Doesn't make sense to me.
I am. I bounce the ball to the thrower-in on the sideline and I'm on the court a few feet.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 08:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I am. I bounce the ball to the thrower-in on the sideline and I'm on the court a few feet.
In 2-man I can see doing that, but I don't see what purpose it serves in 3-man.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That has to be the case. I've never seen the thrower stay OOB during EOG situations when he rolls the throw-in from the endline to halfcourt.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 09:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Camron (in Oregon) only works 2-man, I believe.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Quote:
Yes, my HS games are 100% 2-man. But even in 2-man, Why? It reduces your vision of the court. To cover the throw in from such a position, you can no longer see out into the court as much, you've closed off your field of vision from such a position. From a position OOB and more towards the backcourt from thrower you can see a lot more of the court than if you are inbounds. I'd say that it is even more important to be OOB in 2-man since you are responsible for more of the court.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2012, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

What if A1 slowly rolls the ball onto the court w/o any pressure? A2 is near the ball as it rolls up the court. A1 now enters the court. This type of action happens all the time. I have never seen a violation called on Team A.
Per your NCAA ruling, is this a violation????