The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 16, 2012, 04:56pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Anybody seen the actual wording of the new rules?

I'm reviewing old quizzes and I know that there were changes to the team control rules. My guess is that they changed it back so that there's no player or team control during a throw-in, but it's just a guess.

Has anybody seen a release of the actual changes that were made?
Old Sun Sep 16, 2012, 05:53pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I'm reviewing old quizzes and I know that there were changes to the team control rules. My guess is that they changed it back so that there's no player or team control during a throw-in, but it's just a guess.

Has anybody seen a release of the actual changes that were made?
4-19-7 A team-control foul is a common foul committed by a team that has team control (including a member of the throw-in team from the start of the throw-in until player control is obtained inbounds).

Rationale: The committee adopted a team-control rule change for last season which introduced some complications for a number of other rules. These complications were handled through interpretations last year. The addition of this parenthetical statement allows all rules affected by the team-control definition change last season to revert to their previous verbiage and brings the rule in line with the interpretations that were released last year.
Old Sun Sep 16, 2012, 06:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Until I get a book in my hands....
Old Sun Sep 16, 2012, 07:42pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
4-19-7 A team-control foul is a common foul committed by a team that has team control (including a member of the throw-in team from the start of the throw-in until player control is obtained inbounds).

Rationale: The committee adopted a team-control rule change for last season which introduced some complications for a number of other rules. These complications were handled through interpretations last year. The addition of this parenthetical statement allows all rules affected by the team-control definition change last season to revert to their previous verbiage and brings the rule in line with the interpretations that were released last year.
I don't like that the parenthetical statement begins with the word "including". That means that a member of the throw-in team during the throw-in is included in the group "a team that has team control". Even though I think that's not what they actually mean.

So what I really need to see is the definitions of player control and team control. Have we seen exactly how the "previous verbiage" was used?
Old Sun Sep 16, 2012, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't like that the parenthetical statement begins with the word "including". That means that a member of the throw-in team during the throw-in is included in the group "a team that has team control". Even though I think that's not what they actually mean.

So what I really need to see is the definitions of player control and team control. Have we seen exactly how the "previous verbiage" was used?

Agree. Still poorly worded, but certainly much better than the mess we had last year.

It is my understanding that PC and TC are going back to the exact wording of before and that only the definition of a TC foul was changed to have it include the time during a throwin.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2012, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Reading my 2012-2013 book right now....

4-12-2 D When a player of the team has disposal of the ball for a throw-in.... seems the same as 11/12.

4-19-7. A Team control foul is a common foul committed by a member of the team that has control ( including a member of the throw-in team from the start of the throw-in until player control is obtained inbounds)
Old Mon Sep 17, 2012, 06:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

Copyright Issues ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Still poorly worded, but certainly much better than the mess we had last year.
I'm not a college official, not do I play one on television, but didn't the NCAA take care of tis several years ago. Why didn't the NFHS just "copy" the NCAA wording?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 08:28am
Lighten up, Francis.

Just got my book today and they didn't change it!!!!!

Why would they change the definition of a team control foul but NOT fix the rule change that caused the problem in the first place???????

So SO stupid.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 08:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

WOW. I actually had hope for change.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 09:08am
Courageous When Prudent

Some people will say the wording of the rules don't matter, we should just know to apply certain rules like they were written in 2010-11.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 11:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Some people will say the wording of the rules don't matter, we should just know to apply certain rules like they were written in 2010-11.
Yep, but I saw enough established vets (good officials) who wanted to apply the new TC rule last year to situations that the NFHS had clarified they didn't want (BC on a throw-in situation, for one). The little power points and explanations for rules changes don't get disseminated like the NFHS thinks they do.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 11:45am
Lighten up, Francis.

And they didn't even bother to change 9-9-1, so we have the same problems with the backcourt rulings as last year.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 12:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Throw 'Em To The Lions ...

Quote:
And they didn't even bother to change 9-9-1, so we have the same problems with the backcourt rulings as last year.
Those b*stards!
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)