The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Anybody seen the actual wording of the new rules? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92420-anybody-seen-actual-wording-new-rules.html)

Scrapper1 Sun Sep 16, 2012 04:56pm

Anybody seen the actual wording of the new rules?

I'm reviewing old quizzes and I know that there were changes to the team control rules. My guess is that they changed it back so that there's no player or team control during a throw-in, but it's just a guess.

Has anybody seen a release of the actual changes that were made?

Freddy Sun Sep 16, 2012 05:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 854684)
I'm reviewing old quizzes and I know that there were changes to the team control rules. My guess is that they changed it back so that there's no player or team control during a throw-in, but it's just a guess.

Has anybody seen a release of the actual changes that were made?

4-19-7 A team-control foul is a common foul committed by a team that has team control (including a member of the throw-in team from the start of the throw-in until player control is obtained inbounds).

Rationale: The committee adopted a team-control rule change for last season which introduced some complications for a number of other rules. These complications were handled through interpretations last year. The addition of this parenthetical statement allows all rules affected by the team-control definition change last season to revert to their previous verbiage and brings the rule in line with the interpretations that were released last year.

Adam Sun Sep 16, 2012 06:12pm

Until I get a book in my hands....

Scrapper1 Sun Sep 16, 2012 07:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 854686)
4-19-7 A team-control foul is a common foul committed by a team that has team control (including a member of the throw-in team from the start of the throw-in until player control is obtained inbounds).

Rationale: The committee adopted a team-control rule change for last season which introduced some complications for a number of other rules. These complications were handled through interpretations last year. The addition of this parenthetical statement allows all rules affected by the team-control definition change last season to revert to their previous verbiage and brings the rule in line with the interpretations that were released last year.

I don't like that the parenthetical statement begins with the word "including". That means that a member of the throw-in team during the throw-in is included in the group "a team that has team control". Even though I think that's not what they actually mean.

So what I really need to see is the definitions of player control and team control. Have we seen exactly how the "previous verbiage" was used?

Camron Rust Sun Sep 16, 2012 09:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 854696)
I don't like that the parenthetical statement begins with the word "including". That means that a member of the throw-in team during the throw-in is included in the group "a team that has team control". Even though I think that's not what they actually mean.

So what I really need to see is the definitions of player control and team control. Have we seen exactly how the "previous verbiage" was used?

Agree. Still poorly worded, but certainly much better than the mess we had last year.

It is my understanding that PC and TC are going back to the exact wording of before and that only the definition of a TC foul was changed to have it include the time during a throwin.

constable Mon Sep 17, 2012 03:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 854696)

Reading my 2012-2013 book right now....

4-12-2 D When a player of the team has disposal of the ball for a throw-in.... seems the same as 11/12.

4-19-7. A Team control foul is a common foul committed by a member of the team that has control ( including a member of the throw-in team from the start of the throw-in until player control is obtained inbounds)

BillyMac Mon Sep 17, 2012 06:42am

Copyright Issues ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 854702)
Still poorly worded, but certainly much better than the mess we had last year.

I'm not a college official, not do I play one on television, but didn't the NCAA take care of tis several years ago. Why didn't the NFHS just "copy" the NCAA wording?

Scrapper1 Wed Sep 26, 2012 08:28am

Just got my book today and they didn't change it!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Why would they change the definition of a team control foul but NOT fix the rule change that caused the problem in the first place???????

So SO stupid.

Adam Wed Sep 26, 2012 08:56am

WOW. I actually had hope for change.

Raymond Wed Sep 26, 2012 09:08am

Some people will say the wording of the rules don't matter, we should just know to apply certain rules like they were written in 2010-11. :rolleyes:

Adam Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 856130)
Some people will say the wording of the rules don't matter, we should just know to apply certain rules like they were written in 2010-11. :rolleyes:

Yep, but I saw enough established vets (good officials) who wanted to apply the new TC rule last year to situations that the NFHS had clarified they didn't want (BC on a throw-in situation, for one). The little power points and explanations for rules changes don't get disseminated like the NFHS thinks they do.

Scrapper1 Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:45am

And they didn't even bother to change 9-9-1, so we have the same problems with the backcourt rulings as last year.

BillyMac Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:19pm

Throw 'Em To The Lions ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 856884)
And they didn't even bother to change 9-9-1, so we have the same problems with the backcourt rulings as last year.

Those b*stards!