The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 02:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Now, for some actual baseball

Watch this:

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | CLE@CIN: Mesoraco scores on botched rundown - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Done.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 03:28pm
Archaic Power Monger

I have a tag out.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

There's no way this is obstruction. I would hope even my first year guys would call this one correctly.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

What a heads up play by the dead duck runner. When caught up in a pickle, go for an OBS call.

What a bone headed call by U3. The runner went right after the catcher, who was clearly out of the runner's basepath.

Nice point at the the plate by the PU, too. (what's that all about?) Yeah, it's an award, but you still don't point because he could miss the plate.

All stuff I'd yell at my 13 year umpires for messing up on.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
clearly out of the runner's basepath.

And just how many times have you had to tell a "he was out of the baseline" yelling coach that the runner can run wherever he wants to run, that the only time there's a path is when a tag is attempted.

Can't have it both ways guys!
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
What a heads up play by the dead duck runner. When caught up in a pickle, go for an OBS call.

What a bone headed call by U3. The runner went right after the catcher, who was clearly out of the runner's basepath.

Nice point at the the plate by the PU, too. (what's that all about?) Yeah, it's an award, but you still don't point because he could miss the plate.

All stuff I'd yell at my 13 year umpires for messing up on.
It seemed to me that the PU pointed as he touched. I've done that plenty of times. If anyone questions whether or not I saw the tag at the plate.... "go to the video."

I was in Cincy on business for the last two weeks and was at this game. Not sure what was more puzzling on this...

The fact that obstruction was called, or the fact that Acta didn't even come to the railing on this.

I'll bet he wishes he did once he saw the replay.

The fact that obstruction
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Even an announcer (Chris welch) who played several seasons in the Major Leagues called it "interference" rather than "obstruction". I was listening to this game on the radio and Marty Brennaman (Hall of Fame announcer) did the same.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Baseline not an issue here. Doing a 90 out of the baseline to draw an OBS call is.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

On another forum, the growing consensus on this play is that the runner:
(a) probably intentionally bumped F2 to draw the OBS call (he's looking at him most of the time), and
(b) it's still close enough to call, especially in real time.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
On another forum, the growing consensus on this play is that the runner:
(a) probably intentionally bumped F2 to draw the OBS call (he's looking at him most of the time), and
(b) it's still close enough to call, especially in real time.
I can see both of those points. Good base running. In real time it just
looks like he turns that way to run back to home and F2 is in the way - good base running.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Jun 19, 2012, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

The trouble with pointing at the plate is what you are saying when you don't point at the plate. You're giving the defense information on a missed dish.

Don't point at the plate, unless you're conveying information to the scorekeeper on a timing play. That's when it's proper to point at the plate.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2012, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
It seemed to me that the PU pointed as he touched. I've done that plenty of times. If anyone questions whether or not I saw the tag at the plate.... "go to the video."
Bad reason to deviate from the proper mechanic, imho. Do NOT point at the plate except on timing plays (and on timing plays, point even if they didn't touch!)

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 19, 2012, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Basketball ref, and baseball coach, with a question on where you look on a play like this. In basketball we typically "referee the defense" to know whether or not legal guarding position was attained before contact. That way we know what to call, a block or player control foul. Do baseball umpires do the same kind of thing in situations like this where contact between players is possible/likely?

I ask because my eyes followed the catcher (defense) on this one and, based on his movement away from R3, it seemed that R3 initiated the contact by leaning into the catcher.

Granted, as a coach I would also instruct my C to divert further from the runner once he's thrown the ball to avoid such a situation in the first place.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2012, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Baseline not an issue here. Doing a 90 out of the baseline to draw an OBS call is.
I would have to agree with you from what I have seen MLB umps call in the past.
Based on just what I have seen Shane Victorino of Phillies do as a runner in run downs and get the obstruction call, this play is peanuts. Last year while in a run down between 1st and 2nd, Shane curled heading back towards second base several feet onto the inside (infield side) of the grass and ran right into the second baseman who probably thought he was far enough away. Victorino was awarded 2nd. It was pretty obvious what he was doing, but was awarded the base. I've seen him do this a couple of times now with success.

Would the level of ball change the way any of you would call it? i.e. small diamond games vs. JR-SR Babe Ruth/Legion/HS?