The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 01:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I was attempting to be polite wrt a situation where an official is not able to do his job. Perhaps "retraining" was not the best choice of words, but I assumed you all would know what I meant in the context of this thread. My main point was that an assignor should not shut down this communication. If you, as an official, would prefer to let bad officials slide without saying anything, that's your call. But if you DO choose to report such things to your assignor, the assignor should not put you in the penalty box for it (unless you're doing it all the time.).
This is why I said it is really all predicated on the individual you are dealing with. I know I sometimes get asked about people because of who I am to those assignors or what I have done with them previously. I am also in a leadership role with my state, so that would be a different conversation. This would also be a different conversation if a multi-state final official or maybe college official. But if I was a first year guy or new to varsity, no I totally agree with others that it would probably not be the best thing. But I do agree with you that on some level you should be able to be open and honest with any assignor when needed. And if someone is causing a problem and they are not aware, then they could create further problems down the road. Then again there are certain assignors I would never comment to about my partners. You really need to know who you are dealing with in these situations.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Beserk -

It sounds like you were right by administering both T's and then filling out the appropiate paperwork, however I WOULD NOT have sent the assigner an e-mail as to why you don't want to "see that partner again." I have been an
assigner at the hs level for 15 yrs and IMO you wouldn't be in my good graces
for that e-mail. Just fill out the paperwork for the T..... no more no less.

Your assigner will contact your partner and discuss the situation with him...heck it is "summer ball" = teaching moment. If there is a pattern with
that guy I am sure your assigner will take the appropiate steps.....

Your assigner may interpret your e -mail to be you are a "know it all" guy and that = high maintainance.

If he had called you after he received the paperwork then maybe a discussion would have been appropiate, but otherwise if he didn't ask for your opinion don't offer it......
I never said this was summer ball. This was a regular season game.

If you didn't like me for emailing you about a partner that left me hang with a coach then I would assume you do all of your referee evaluations yourself and not ask for any help. In that case you would establish the pattern yourself and would hopefully understand my frustration with this situation.

In this conference the assigner expects an email or call after any coach ejection. I sent an email to him, plus the state got their email they require. No where in my emails about the coach did I give any discription about my partner's actions.

I'm not sure how me not liking the actions of a partner would constitute me as a "know-it-all".
Old Fri Aug 10, 2012, 09:32pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
I never said this was summer ball. This was a regular season game.

If you didn't like me for emailing you about a partner that left me hang with a coach then I would assume you do all of your referee evaluations yourself and not ask for any help. In that case you would establish the pattern yourself and would hopefully understand my frustration with this situation.

In this conference the assigner expects an email or call after any coach ejection. I sent an email to him, plus the state got their email they require. No where in my emails about the coach did I give any discription about my partner's actions.

I'm not sure how me not liking the actions of a partner would constitute me as a "know-it-all".