The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
IDK Snaqs, I guess it all boils down to our partners game awareness & willingness to take care of biz.
Personally, I have eyes on the coach after my partner whacks him. Especially while he's walking away &/or reporting the T! I'd like to think that while you're reaching for the whistle, I'm sticking.

I know its summer, but by the description of when the 2nd T came it doesnt sound like you & your partner conversed after the 1st one??
Heck, summer time is the perfect time to learn, sharpen and/or hone skills. Game management skills (including, but not limited to, adminstering technical fouls) is always a great skill to sharpen or at least become more confident in.

At least, that's the way I look at summer even though most of what I do aside from assignor camps is 2 man instead of 3 man mechanics.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 08:42pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Cussin? Excessive BS?
Adult league play-offs. The game was supposed to be a blow-out, but the lower-seeded team was actually hanging very close. It was probably a 6 point game at this point.

This guy just went bat-bleep crazy. He complained about a call on one trip down, then absolutely just flipped over a perceived no-call on the next trip. Cursing, jumping, out on the court. Just totally out of control. I whacked him. One of his players then told me what he thought about the call. So I whacked him, too.

In truth, I should have run the coach with a second T right then; but I walked away and he thankfully calmed down enough that he was (barely) under control.

Then in the second half, his player dribbles into a double-team trap, gets stripped and the coach wants a foul and again just goes insane. So I whacked him again. His player then throws the ball over the fence and into the street. So my partner whacked him.

The coach -- surprise! -- doesn't want to leave. He left.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 08:56pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Adult league play-offs. The game was supposed to be a blow-out, but the lower-seeded team was actually hanging very close. It was probably a 6 point game at this point.

This guy just went bat-bleep crazy. He complained about a call on one trip down, then absolutely just flipped over a perceived no-call on the next trip. Cursing, jumping, out on the court. Just totally out of control. I whacked him. One of his players then told me what he thought about the call. So I whacked him, too.

In truth, I should have run the coach with a second T right then; but I walked away and he thankfully calmed down enough that he was (barely) under control.

Then in the second half, his player dribbles into a double-team trap, gets stripped and the coach wants a foul and again just goes insane. So I whacked him again. His player then throws the ball over the fence and into the street. So my partner whacked him.

The coach -- surprise! -- doesn't want to leave. He left.
He might as well leave. The alternative is GAME OVER.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2012, 04:02am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
He might as well leave. The alternative is GAME OVER.
Of course it's game over......they don't have the game ball!
Old Thu Aug 02, 2012, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It would have been interesting to see how the AC responded had I instead jogged to my partner before reporting.
Yeah they usually do/say what they're gonna do/say whether we converse with a partner or not. But getting with the partner usually gives them an opportunity to get in on the act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
ugh
What? Are you that guy?
Old Thu Aug 02, 2012, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What? Are you that guy?
No way, that wouldn't be me.

Even when working with a partner that seems uninterested in maintaining his own integrity, much less mine, I'm going to follow protocol and support him. It's the right thing to do. Better believe I have a talk with him at half time or post game, though.

Fortunately, I can't say I've had that type of experience (or partner) in a varsity game - yet. But, all too often (once or twice) it happens when working an MAYB or local tournament during the off season, usually when it's a tournament directed by an out of state or area group that brings in a lot of officials from their area that are game whores and are probably there just to get a check and survive the weekend.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2012, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
No way, that wouldn't be me.
My badd I misunderstood what your "ugh" meant.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2012, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unfortunately the "he wasnt talking to me" guy works during the real season as well. I hate when a tag team situation presents itself but only one official has the courage to do the dirty work.
I whacked a coach this last year. I report the T and take the ball to administer free throws as we pre-gamed. The coach is talking to my partner a lot and still seems pretty mad.
One of the teams calls timeout and my partner walks up to me and says something along the lines of "You should hear what this coach is saying about you!" I asked what he said and got a response with the phrase "This young ahole thinks he can give me a T just because...blah blah blah. I won't see his *** again this year after I call (assigner's name)." I asked him why didn't send him home. He answered because he didn't want to do the paperwork.
I ended up running the coach and doing paperwork for that, and a nice email to my assigner as to why I don't want to see that partner again.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2012, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
I whacked a coach this last year. I report the T and take the ball to administer free throws as we pre-gamed. The coach is talking to my partner a lot and still seems pretty mad.
One of the teams calls timeout and my partner walks up to me and says something along the lines of "You should hear what this coach is saying about you!" I asked what he said and got a response with the phrase "This young ahole thinks he can give me a T just because...blah blah blah. I won't see his *** again this year after I call (assigner's name)." I asked him why didn't send him home. He answered because he didn't want to do the paperwork.
I ended up running the coach and doing paperwork for that, and a nice email to my assigner as to why I don't want to see that partner again.
Good job on your part. It's a good bet you're not the first partner that other official has sold down the river.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Aug 03, 2012, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My badd I misunderstood what your "ugh" meant.
No sweat.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
Beserk -

It sounds like you were right by administering both T's and then filling out the appropiate paperwork, however I WOULD NOT have sent the assigner an e-mail as to why you don't want to "see that partner again." I have been an
assigner at the hs level for 15 yrs and IMO you wouldn't be in my good graces
for that e-mail. Just fill out the paperwork for the T..... no more no less.

Your assigner will contact your partner and discuss the situation with him...heck it is "summer ball" = teaching moment. If there is a pattern with
that guy I am sure your assigner will take the appropiate steps.....

Your assigner may interpret your e -mail to be you are a "know it all" guy and that = high maintainance.

If he had called you after he received the paperwork then maybe a discussion would have been appropiate, but otherwise if he didn't ask for your opinion don't offer it......
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 12:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Beserk -

It sounds like you were right by administering both T's and then filling out the appropiate paperwork, however I WOULD NOT have sent the assigner an e-mail as to why you don't want to "see that partner again." I have been an

Your assigner will contact your partner and discuss the situation with him...heck it is "summer ball" = teaching moment. If there is a pattern with
that guy I am sure your assigner will take the appropiate steps.....

Your assigner may interpret your e -mail to be you are a "know it all" guy and that = high maintainance.

If he had called you after he received the paperwork then maybe a discussion would have been appropiate, but otherwise if he didn't ask for your opinion don't offer it......
I think this depends on the assignor or the type of relationship you have with him or her. I mainly say this because there are assignor I would absolutely tell them this because I know the assignor rather well. Others I would never make that request. And if the assignor knows that a lot of people do not want to work with a particular official, then the assignor will keep in mind this when or if they assign the person in the future. Otherwise I totally agree the assignor could take it that way, but some assignors like more information from certain officials and for all we know Beserk might be one of those people.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
I have been an
That's unfortunate. If you, as an assignor, put people in "bad graces" for informing you when a partner needs retraining, people will avoid telling you things that you DO need to know to be a good assignor. You should not shut this kind of communication down. (Obviously, if someone is CONSTANTLY telling you they don't want to work with people, you have a different problem on your hands.)

West Houston Mike

Last edited by MD Longhorn; Mon Aug 06, 2012 at 01:00pm.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 12:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
That's unfortunate. If you, as an assignor, put people in "bad graces" for informing you when a partner needs retraining, people will avoid telling you things that you DO need to know to be a good assignor. You should not shut this kind of communication down. (Obviously, if someone is CONSTANTLY telling you they don't want to work with people, you have a different problem on your hands.)
It's not my job to say if another official needs retraining unless my assignor has specifically asked for me to give that type of opinion. Otherwise I'm just supplying the facts to any unusual situations that occurred and I'll leave further interpretation up to the supervisor.

I prefer to volunteer unsoliticed opinion when someone is doing an outstanding job. Just my preference.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It's not my job to say if another official needs retraining unless my assignor has specifically asked for me to give that type of opinion. Otherwise I'm just supplying the facts to any unusual situations that occurred and I'll leave further interpretation up to the supervisor.

I prefer to volunteer unsoliticed opinion when someone is doing an outstanding job. Just my preference.
I was attempting to be polite wrt a situation where an official is not able to do his job. Perhaps "retraining" was not the best choice of words, but I assumed you all would know what I meant in the context of this thread. My main point was that an assignor should not shut down this communication. If you, as an official, would prefer to let bad officials slide without saying anything, that's your call. But if you DO choose to report such things to your assignor, the assignor should not put you in the penalty box for it (unless you're doing it all the time.).

West Houston Mike