The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Whack him!

We had a presentation on how to talk to and with coaches the other night. During the presentation the presenter said, "In that situation you would whack him!"

One of the new refs, got a bewildered look on her face. I quickly made the "T" motion and said, "Whack him." She looked relieved and laughed. She hadn't heard the expression before.

Rita
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 11:24pm
M.A.S.H.

Speaking of our whacking king on this board.....I haven't heard much from ref18 lately. Anyone know where he's hiding?
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 05:38am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

He's in the midst of football season. He got a provincial semi.
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I first though whacking was the same as ejection So I thought you american refs had awfully lot of ejections now I'm enlightened though (and have been for some time, luckily :O)
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 12:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Technical Foul Guidelines

FYI: I recently pulled this off the Tri-City (Washington State) officials web site. I haven't had much time to check it out to see if it fully matches my personal guidelines or the guidelines of my official's board. I thought that it could generate some good discussion among Forum members. What do you think ?

Technical Fouls

Top Ten Reasons To Not Give A Technical Foul
1. You can address a coach before it becomes a problem. A quiet word can go a long way in preventing.
2. Coaches are competitors they love challenges. Don't back yourself into a corner by saying be quiet or else. Instead offer a reason why you might be right.
3. When coaches complain ask yourself, is the call questionable, is the call wrong. If they have a legitimate grip then allow them some latitude.
4. If you know a coach is upset then move out on to the floor when in front of their bench.
5. Don't tolerate a lot before a warning. Warnings can be very effective in preventing situations from escalating.
6. Lend an ear. Coaches like to be heard. If you ignore them then they become more frustrated and are more likely to lose control.
7. If a coach says something and you are the only one who hears it, if you T them while they are sitting on the bench, then you get the worst of the situation.
8. If an assistant is out of line then you can speak to the head coach ask them to help you out.
9. If a player is out of line then let the coach know. Tell them you've warned their player. That way if you do give a T then the coach isn't surprised. Most good coaches will speak to the player first.
10. If you have had a rough day and know your fuse is short. Keep it in mind before you do anything rash. Ask yourself, does the situation come under one of the top ten reasons to give a T.

The Top Ten Reasons To Give A Technical Foul
Knowing when the right time to call a technical foul is half the battle.
There are many different factors to consider, when deciding to give a technical. Flow, time and score, language, the number of times a coach has complained, what the coach is complaining about, whether or not the coach wants one are all things that should be given consideration before calling a technical.

Generally there are three areas of coach's behavior that need attention:
When a coach makes it personal.
When a coach draws attention to himself or herself.
When a coach' s complaints are persistent.

Some technicals are easy. They are black and white situations that leave little room for negotiations.
1. Leaving the confines of the coaching box and complaining.
2. Using profanity or language that is abusive, vulgar or obscene.
3. If coach or player has been warned and has not heeded the warning.
4. A coach demonstrates displeasure with your partner and their back is turned.

Other technical fouls are not as black and white. In some situations a warning may be appropriate before the technical foul is given.
5. A coach or player continually demonstrates signals or asks for calls.
6. If you are being embarrassed.
7. If giving a T will help give structure back to the game. Will it have a calming effect on things.
8. A coach questions your integrity.
9. If they have interfered with the game or your concentration then usually they have gone to far.
10. Inciting an undesirable crowd reaction.

Top Ten Ways to Give a Technical Foul
1. Calling a technical foul should be no different then calling any other violation. Maintain a pleasant attitude, have poise and presence. Don't embarrass them by being demonstrative.
2. Call the Technical. Report to the table and leave the area.
3. Explanations, it need should be done by partner.
4. Never look at a coach when you give a T.
5. When you give a T walk away. Find your partner.
6. After technical fouls get the ball in play immediately.
7. If you T a coach, after the T come back even stronger. Don't back off. Come back with the tough call that goes against that coach if It Is there.
8. Don't go to coaches after your partner has given them a T. Let your partner give any explanations needed.
9. Make them earn the second one. Don't be reluctant to give the second one if it is warranted.
10. Explain technicals on players to coaches: "Taunting and Baiting", "Cussing", Too much mouth."
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
3. Explanations, it need should be done by partner.

8. Don't go to coaches after your partner has given them a T. Let your partner give any explanations needed.
These two conflict.

Rita
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 01:36pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
These two conflict.

Rita
Hopefully the first one was a misprint. This has happened to me twice since I've been in Mississippi and most know that I hate it. IMO, there is no reason for my partner to go to a coach when I give the coach a T. It gives the impression that the official is consoling the coach. If the coach doesn't want to calm down after getting a T, my partner should give him the second one not try to talk to him.
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 02:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
1)
7. If a coach says something and you are the only one who hears it, if you T them while they are sitting on the bench, then you get the worst of the situation.

2)
Other technical fouls are not as black and white. In some situations a warning may be appropriate before the technical foul is given.
.6. If you are being embarrassed.
Personally, I disagree with the above:

1) It depends completely on what the coach says to you. If he's completely out of line or he's swearing at you, then he should be nailed- no matter how quietly it was said. Remember, the coach wanted you to hear it, and you did. Ignoring it would just show a complete lack of testicular fortitude imo. That "T" can certainly be justifed in your report after the game.

2) No way. If a coach embarrasses me, questions my integrity or is deliberately inciting the crowd, I'll be damned if I'd warn him. Those acts simply don't deserve a warning imo.
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 02:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
FYI: I recently pulled this off the Tri-City (Washington State) officials web site. I haven't had much time to check it out to see if it fully matches my personal guidelines or the guidelines of my official's board. I thought that it could generate some good discussion among Forum members. What do you think ?

Technical Fouls

1. You can address a coach before it becomes a problem. A quiet word can go a long way in preventing.
2. Coaches are competitors they love challenges. Don't back yourself into a corner by saying be quiet or else. Instead offer a reason why you might be right.
3. When coaches complain ask yourself, is the call questionable, is the call wrong. If they have a legitimate grip then allow them some latitude.
4. If you know a coach is upset then move out on to the floor when in front of their bench.
5. Don't tolerate a lot before a warning. Warnings can be very effective in preventing situations from escalating.
6. Lend an ear. Coaches like to be heard. If you ignore them then they become more frustrated and are more likely to lose control.
8. If an assistant is out of line then you can speak to the head coach ask them to help you out.
9. If a player is out of line then let the coach know. Tell them you've warned their player. That way if you do give a T then the coach isn't surprised. Most good coaches will speak to the player first.
10. If you have had a rough day and know your fuse is short. Keep it in mind before you do anything rash. Ask yourself, does the situation come under one of the top ten reasons to give a T.

Knowing when the right time to call a technical foul is half the battle.
There are many different factors to consider, when deciding to give a technical. Flow, time and score, language, the number of times a coach has complained, what the coach is complaining about, whether or not the coach wants one are all things that should be given consideration before calling a technical.

Generally there are three areas of coach's behavior that need attention:
When a coach makes it personal.
When a coach draws attention to himself or herself.
When a coach' s complaints are persistent.

Some technicals are easy. They are black and white situations that leave little room for negotiations.
1. Leaving the confines of the coaching box and complaining.
2. Using profanity or language that is abusive, vulgar or obscene.
3. If coach or player has been warned and has not heeded the warning.
4. A coach demonstrates displeasure with your partner and their back is turned.

5. A coach or player continually demonstrates signals or asks for calls.
6. If you are being embarrassed.
7. If giving a T will help give structure back to the game. Will it have a calming effect on things.
9. If they have interfered with the game or your concentration then usually they have gone to far.

There's so much wrong with this, I'd have to start a blog to discuss it all. Here's a few highlights:

"Flow, time and score, language, the number of times a coach has complained, what the coach is complaining about, whether or not the coach wants one are all things that should be given consideration before calling a technical."

So if a coach swears at you, don't call the T if it's late in a close game. Bull****.

"A coach questions your integrity" (don't give a T)"

This is ridiculous. Anyone questions my integrity on the court - they're gone. Integrity is the main element of officiating. It cannot be questioned by a coach during a game without consequences. It amazes me that this organization would let this go but insist on calling a T if "A coach demonstrates displeasure with your partner and their back is turned." Where are their priorities?

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Sat Nov 25, 2006 at 02:32pm.
Old Sun Nov 26, 2006, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Hopefully the first one was a misprint. This has happened to me twice since I've been in Mississippi and most know that I hate it. IMO, there is no reason for my partner to go to a coach when I give the coach a T. It gives the impression that the official is consoling the coach. If the coach doesn't want to calm down after getting a T, my partner should give him the second one not try to talk to him.
Tomegun, no disrespect on you. We just do it a little different. During pregame, we discuss what to do after a "T". The calling official reports and gets away from table. Partner comes to him and gets short reason or explanation then goes to coach and tells him that he has lost coaching box privileges. If coach needs to talk, give short explanantion then get away and on with game. If coach needs second "T" this official should send him home.

barryb
Old Sun Nov 26, 2006, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
"Flow, time and score, language, the number of times a coach has complained, what the coach is complaining about, whether or not the coach wants one are all things that should be given consideration before calling a technical."

So if a coach swears at you, don't call the T if it's late in a close game. Bull****.
I don't think this means that you don't call the T in this situation, just that in some situations, it might be better to pass on the T. In your example, the T is a necessary call, but there are some borderline calls where some might call the T and some might not. This is just a list of things that a ref could consider before they called one.
Old Sun Nov 26, 2006, 04:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco
I don't think this means that you don't call the T in this situation, just that in some situations, it might be better to pass on the T. In your example, the T is a necessary call, but there are some borderline calls where some might call the T and some might not. This is just a list of things that a ref could consider before they called one.
Why is a "T" in the first quarter not a "T" at the end of the fourth quarter, if they were called for similar acts? That shows a complete lack of consistency in play calling imo. If you're gonna let the borderline ones go, then let 'em go the whole game and let 'em go for both teams. And if you're gonna call the borderline ones, then call 'em the whole game and call 'em on both teams.

I agree completely with Mark P. on that one. Flow, time, score and language should never be a factor when calling a "T". The severity of the act alone determines the "T". If it's a "T" at the start of the game, then it's a "T" at the end of the game.
Old Sun Nov 26, 2006, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Why is a "T" in the first quarter not a "T" at the end of the fourth quarter, if they were called for similar acts? That shows a complete lack of consistency in play calling imo. If you're gonna let the borderline ones go, then let 'em go the whole game and let 'em go for both teams. And if you're gonna call the borderline ones, then call 'em the whole game and call 'em on both teams.

I agree completely with Mark P. on that one. Flow, time, score and language should never be a factor when calling a "T". The severity of the act alone determines the "T". If it's a "T" at the start of the game, then it's a "T" at the end of the game.
I didn't mean that a T should be called in the 1st but not 4th quarter. What I was thinking in my head, and did not put into words very well, is that there is some discretion in calling Ts. That is why refs come on here all the time, and good refs will debate whether a T was warranted in a situation. That is what I was thinking about when I said that there were borderline calls on whether a T should be called or not.
Old Sun Nov 26, 2006, 06:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco
I didn't mean that a T should be called in the 1st but not 4th quarter. What I was thinking in my head, and did not put into words very well, is that there is some discretion in calling Ts. That is why refs come on here all the time, and good refs will debate whether a T was warranted in a situation. That is what I was thinking about when I said that there were borderline calls on whether a T should be called or not.
I knew what you were trying to say. There is always discretion in what you're gonna let a coach get away with. However, if you do call a borderline technical foul in the first quarter, then you should be calling similar borderline technical fouls in the fourth quarter. If you're not gonna call them in the first quarter, that's fine with me too- as long as you don't call them in the fourth quarter also. You don't change your "discretion" because of time, score, language, etc. That's what Tri-City is recommending that we should do.

My point was that whoever made up that list from Tri-City was completely wrong when they stated "Flow, time, score, language, the number of times a coach has complained, what the coach is complaining about, whether or not the coach wants one are all things that should be given consideration before calling a technical". That statement is completely ludicrous imo. Unfortunately, to me it also seems to mirror a trend that seems to be developing in the last few years, at least at the high school level. Some officials are looking for any reason at all NOT to have to call a technical foul, and they come up with crapola like the above to try and justify their lack of testicular fortitude. That's exactly why the NFHS rulesmakers have almost made Bench Decorum a permanent POE.

You simply call technical fouls on their own merit, and you should be calling them consistently on both teams from the start of the game to the finish. Everybody sets their own personal line as to what constitutes a technical. That's fine. When you do so though, you don't keep moving your line during the game.

JMO.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sun Nov 26, 2006 at 06:19pm.
Old Sun Nov 26, 2006, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

JR,

I think that I read the list, and saw it as a whole. You read it and picked out the "Flow, time of score, language" section, and I agree with you that that that should not affect whether a T is called or not. Overall, I think we agree with each other.